Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Ill put it plainly: Washington has Amazon, T Mobile, Russell, Boeing, Nintendo, Microsoft and Oregon has Nike and Intel. When it comes to state economic development, what are our neighbors to the north doing better than us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=wash...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Correlation does not equal causation.

The Richmond, VA area is home to, or has a large presence (like Intel here) of 8 Fortune 500 companies and is roughly 1/2 the size of Portland.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Lack of military bases and spending. Boeing is the WW2 engine that drove Seattle development into the 50s and 60s. We, on the other hand, have the Umatilla Chemical Weapons Depot, which is, um, not quite the same level. Microsoft is what attracted all the later high tech/software. What put Microsoft in Seattle? It's where Bill Gates was from.

ETA: What put Boeing in Seattle? Geography and climate. Originally spruce for aircraft and then aluminim (provided by cheap BPA power).

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 08-20-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Well first off Dr. McLoughlin encouraged all those pesky tourists to stay.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Wondering why two adjoining states could be so different is nothing new – it's been going on for decades.

A number of years ago, maybe 10, a University of Oregon economics professor wrote a long article for the Oregonian addressing this subject. He attributed it mainly to the differing mindsets of the people who originally populated the two states – they came from different parts of the eastern U.S. He had maps showing the migrations.

I don't know if his analysis is completely true, but it certainly should be taken into consideration.

For me, some indications of a different mindset--

The Seattle World's Fair, something that Portland never considered: Century 21 Exposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, something that many thought would be a failure because the city was so small, but they were wrong, Expo ,74: Expo '74 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About this time, Eugene, similar in size to Spokane, became famous for being the birthplace of jogging in the United States : Jogging.: William J Bowerman: 9780448144436: Amazon.com: Books

For a very important difference in mindset, read this Oregonian editorial about Oregon's universities: University competition expands from Pac-12 to Pacific Rim | OregonLive.com

Here is the survey referenced in the article: World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Times Higher Education

The University of Washington is one of the top universities in the world. The University of Oregon and Oregon State are way down in the minor leagues, lumped in groups of 25, known only to their local fans.

From the editorial : “All together, the University of Washington looks like the kind of operation that could drive a local economy.”

Then it says: “Nobody expects Oregon to have a Berkeley, or even a UW.”

What a defeatist attitude. Maybe Oregon can't expect to have a Berkeley – the University of California system is a wonder of the education world – but why not a UW, or at least have one in the same major league.

If you look at the survey, you will see that parts of the country that some people on the coasts call backward, the South, Flyover Country, Texas, etc., manage of have major league public universities that are among the greatest in the world.

It will never happen in Oregon, though. We will be content with our “natural beauty.”

Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I'll put it just as plainly: how does the average Seattelite benefit over an Oregonian for their state being so much more blessed with Fortune 500 entities? Do they receive checks in the mail every quarter just for living there? Is the Seattle minimum wage $15/hr? Are Seattle streets paved with Gold and Silver? What? Really, what tangible benefit does Seattle receive from its... its... superiority? I'll put it even plainer... what stops people who admire certain cities or countries so much that they are constantly moved to criticize other places... what stops them from simply moving to the locations of their affections?? Why live in a second rate backwater like Oregon when three hours longer on I-5 and they could have been where all the action is? What am I missing??

Just saying... some of those Fortune 500's are more trouble than they are worth. They benefit their Executive Branch and their Shareholders and that's about it. Their host cities pay them to reside there and not the other way around. Maybe its me but I can't see that Oregon is materially worse off for not having more Fortune 500 leeches on its books. Both states will be around long after the o.p. and I are dust. States like Arkansas, Wyoming, Montana and a bunch of other republics are going to outlive us all regardless of how business friendly or not they are. FWIW.

H

Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Ill put it plainly: Washington has Amazon, T Mobile, Russell, Boeing, Nintendo, Microsoft and Oregon has Nike and Intel. When it comes to state economic development, what are our neighbors to the north doing better than us?

Good question. Oregon is doing little to draw in new investors.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Correlation does not equal causation.

The Richmond, VA area is home to, or has a large presence (like Intel here) of 8 Fortune 500 companies and is roughly 1/2 the size of Portland.
So how have those Fortune 500 companies benefited the Richmond area so much more so that it'd be a better place than Portland? The unemployment rate is similar(actually it's slightly higher in Richmond than Portland), the GDP is about under half of the GDP of the Portland metro in the Richmond Metro, and Richmond hardly gained population in the last decade.

Not to knock Richmond, it seems like an okay place from what I've heard about it, despite some of the crime problems it gets knocked for. But why hasn't the location of all those Fortune 500 companies made Richmond into some sort of dynamo that one would stay in rather than moving to some economic backwater on the West Coast...

Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll put it just as plainly: how does the average Seattelite benefit over an Oregonian for their state being so much more blessed with Fortune 500 entities? Do they receive checks in the mail every quarter just for living there? Is the Seattle minimum wage $15/hr? Are Seattle streets paved with Gold and Silver? What? Really, what tangible benefit does Seattle receive from its... its... superiority? I'll put it even plainer... what stops people who admire certain cities or countries so much that they are constantly moved to criticize other places... what stops them from simply moving to the locations of their affections?? Why live in a second rate backwater like Oregon when three hours longer on I-5 and they could have been where all the action is? What am I missing??

Just saying... some of those Fortune 500's are more trouble than they are worth. They benefit their Executive Branch and their Shareholders and that's about it. Their host cities pay them to reside there and not the other way around. Maybe its me but I can't see that Oregon is materially worse off for not having more Fortune 500 leeches on its books. Both states will be around long after the o.p. and I are dust. States like Arkansas, Wyoming, Montana and a bunch of other republics are going to outlive us all regardless of how business friendly or not they are. FWIW.

H

I'm not sure we have much discuss. I think what you're asking is "What tangible benefit does Seattle and Washington get from having very solid companies in their state?" Do you really need that answered? I feel like I presented a very valid question. Feel free to discuss.

Last edited by VTHokieFan; 08-21-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon