Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM

535 posts, read 967,132 times

Advertisements

Oregon has so many wonderful things to do. Remember that movie, The Bucket List? Before the movie was the book, entitled The Bucket List:Things To Do Before I Kick It. I always wish I could come up with clever titles like author Justin Zackham did. I'm sure we all have things in Oregon we'd like to do before we're pushing daises. Here's mine. What's yours?

I'm sitting here at my vanity, (the guy who named that piece of furniture got it right), looking at myself in the mirror. I look like I spent my entire 70 year life in the Sonoran Desert. Sighing, I look down at all the bottles, tubes, jars and canisters full of makeup products I've used religiously over the years so this wouldn't happen. They all made false claims and lied. Could I sue Pond's Cold Cream? I realize I need to ramp up my anti-aging efforts. I think hubby has a putty knife and some Bondo in the garage, from back when he actually used to do something around here. Right now he's parked in the recliner with a cup of coffee in one hand and the television remote in the other. It's 9:30 in the morning and he's watching one of the 20 or so ESPN channels. Dune buggies are racing around some bumpy dirt track. I know soon as I leave the bedroom he'll switch it over to female beach volleyball. "It's an Olympic sport," he always reminds me when I catch him staring at those tight bunned, long legged, flat stomached women hitting a ball over a net while wearing clothing that would make a bikini blush. Maybe I need Botox. No, I hate needles. A face lift. No, I'd end up looking like Joan Rivers and that's reason enough not to do it. I give up and pad out to the kitchen for another cup of coffee. While opening the fridge door for some creamer I spot My Bucket List, all the things I want to do before I die, written on a piece of paper that says Shopping List at the top, secured to the fridge door with a magnet with Crater Lake on it.

I stop, frozen in thought. Numero uno on my list is: Jet Boat Ride Hell's Canyon. I think I saw it on television and it looked like fun. Number Two: Wind Surf In Hood River. I saw a sign that had "Windsurfing Lessons" written on it in what appeared to be black spray paint years ago while speeding down I-84 through Hood River. Do you have to wear a neoprene wetsuit? At my age it would be a good idea to keep body parts intact. Number Three: Sea Lion Caves. We went there once when the kids were little. It was cold, damp, and kind of creepy, but the kids still talk about it to this day.

I'm staring into the fridge at nothing in particular, dreaming and reminiscing when I hear hubby call out from the bedroom. "Honey? Since you're not doing anything would get me another cup of coffee?"

I stop and think about what he just said: "Since you're not doing anything." I take my bucket list off the fridge, pour both of us another cup of coffee and slip back towards the bedroom. I clear my throat upon entering to give him a chance to change channels. My Bucket List in hand I ask, "Remember that movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman?"

"You mean The Bucket List?" he replies.

I smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
You know, Priscilla, when you aren't complaining about unavoidable realities of life like... progress. Well... I never noticed until just now that you do actually have a flair for anecdote. Might I suggest, mildly, that your fascination with water is overrated and that your ultimate fulfillment may lie in more landlocked pursuits? There must be a writers workshop meeting somewhere in your neighborhood. Join it and you can spend the time walking there to observe Portland life up close. Lots of material there. The combination of your memories, experiences and the ever unfolding human portrait that is Portland, surely that must equal a squishy Jet Boat ride(?) and you don't have to spend a whole day getting there. FWIW.

H

Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
........ Numero uno on my list is: Jet Boat Ride Hell's Canyon. I think I saw it on television and it looked like fun.........
I recommend this Hells Canyon, Hells Canyon jetboat trips, Hells canyon idaho, hells canyon oregon

It's a lot of fun.

Take a longer trip, at least the 6 hour Kirkwood Tour.

I live nearby so whenever old friends from the East visit, I treat them to a trip. Sometimes longtime City Folks, such as a friend who lived in D.C. and worked in the Pentagon for 30 years, don't seem to appreciate it.

Here are some random pictures I have taken: Hells Canyon Slideshow by kuskokwim | Photobucket

The Rogue River trip from Gold Beach is also great.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM

222 posts, read 470,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You know, Priscilla, when you aren't complaining about unavoidable realities of life like... progress. Well... I never noticed until just now that you do actually have a flair for anecdote. Might I suggest, mildly, that your fascination with water is overrated and that your ultimate fulfillment may lie in more landlocked pursuits? There must be a writers workshop meeting somewhere in your neighborhood. Join it and you can spend the time walking there to observe Portland life up close. Lots of material there. The combination of your memories, experiences and the ever unfolding human portrait that is Portland, surely that must equal a squishy Jet Boat ride(?) and you don't have to spend a whole day getting there. FWIW.

H
I never thought of the water connection, Crater Lake, Snake River, Columbia River, Pacific Ocean.........I guess a bucket is a good thing for me to have.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
The Sea Lion Caves are not that far away. You can get there without a horse and buggy now, and they have an elevator for seniors. Get started.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times

The Sea Lion Caves are (expensive, stinky, and a total tourist trap, but) well worth the experience!

From their website (720° view, below):

http://www.spherovision.net/html5/US...J4/p01b_m.html

Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
I never thought of the water connection, Crater Lake, Snake River, Columbia River, Pacific Ocean.........I guess a bucket is a good thing for me to have.
That's just what I was going to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon