Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:55 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
When most people say "liberal" in OR, especially in relation to Portland, Eugene, Salem, they generally mean "damn hippies" . The green movement is big here, and a lot of the "save the trees," "save the whales," "save the circus animals," vegan, government-healthcare-supporting, pro-baby-killing, etc. hipster/hippie kind of people tend to congregate in those cities. Obviously I'm being a bit facetious here.
That is so funny! My Dad is older, and has been known to say that on occasion. LOL. "Damn hippees". Brings back memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 PM

437 posts, read 2,239,180 times
Well, one thing I know is that when you live in California, we are not the ones talking about who is moving to our State and how they are driving up the prices in our State as most of you in Oregon,Utah and Colorado are.

I don't think I have seen one Californian say this.

We have more people moving to our State than you do driving our prices up and causing us to move on. So come on and get over it. I really get tired of hearing this from other States.

There is enough world to share out there. It does not belong to us.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lookin View Post
Well, one thing I know is that when you live in California, we are not the ones talking about who is moving to our State and how they are driving up the prices in our State as most of you in Oregon,Utah and Colorado are.

I don't think I have seen one Californian say this.

We have more people moving to our State than you do driving our prices up and causing us to move on. So come on and get over it. I really get tired of hearing this from other States.

There is enough world to share out there. It does not belong to us.
Very well said!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 PM

152 posts, read 530,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwoodmom View Post
Look up Sherwood Oregon. Small safe town thats not too far from Portland. It was rated one of the best places to live in Money Mag.
Traffic

Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePautsch View Post
Not Iowa,
There are lots of nice places in Oregon. In the mid-Willamette Valley (Albany, Lebanon) I know of quite a few single Moms. My daughters are both in school and a number of their friends are in that situation...I obviously can't speak for their experiences, but I've never heard any "talk behind their backs" in my circle of friends.

We found Albany an easy place to make friends and found a real sense of community here. If I can be so bold as to suggest this should also be part of your search. My sister-in-law is a single mother (daughter is now a HS senior) and having a solid support network was one of the biggest keys to her success over the years. For many of those years she lived near my wife and I, but always had friends close. If you're pulling up stakes in Iowa (I don't know where your family/friends are)...I hope that you can find a place to call home that includes a good group of friends to be a part of your life.

All the best,

Dave
I was looking over this forum, because I am originally from the Willamette Valley (Salem), and am considering moving back to OR, possibly to Portland and I had to respond to the above post. I hate to be pessimistic, but suggesting that she live in Albany or Lebanon is probably the worst advice she could be given. She said that she wanted to move to a more Liberal area that would be more progressive and socially accepting, I believe. Honestly, when I read the pro-Albany statements above, I was hoping he was kidding. Yes, she should move to Albany if she wants her kids (let alone herself) to have nothing to do, live in in an area with uneducated, borderline hillbillies, and limited employment. I agree that a meeting a good group of friends is key, but where is she going to meet friends in Albany? The bowling alley? The inevitable greeting by the smell of the paper mill as one enters town is very pleasant as well. I did see a few other posts, by the way from people suggesting that the smell isn't a big deal. Are you kidding me? Maybe all of this sarcasm is unnecessary, but Albany, OR is probably the last place to which I would suggest moving in giving advice to someone in her situation. It's great that his (DavePautsch) friends don't talk behind the backs of a few single mothers in the town (based on the population, there are probably 2 or 3 in the whole town). In stating all of this, I am merely establishing credibility, I am not suggesting that she move to Salem. In her situation, the Portland area would be the best (and obvious) fit for her. It is very liberal and progressive in general, good schools and employment are available, as well as a ton of social activities and events for both she and her kids.

Last edited by adliv42; 12-06-2007 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: grammar mistakes

Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 AM

176 posts, read 632,064 times
Her definition of liberal did not seem to be all that Portland-ish. I don't think she meant it in the sense most Oregonians mean it...just that people are accepting and open. You can read some of her previous posts in this thread to get a better idea. Maybe I'm mistaken here.

While I wouldn't suggest Albany, Corvallis might be good (if you could find a job there). It's very near Albany. A bit bigger town. and Benton county, for example, several years ago directly challenged the issue of gay marriage, by first allowing it, then refusing to issue certificates to straight couples because it was unfair. It went up to the Oregon Supreme court if I remember right. That's pretty open and accepting. Probably because there are so many college students and professors, and a lot of former college students end up hanging around after graduating.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Oregon county bans all marriages
The Rev. Chuck Currie: Benton County Gay Marriage Decision Draws UCC Support

EDIT: but I wouldn't call Corvallis "Green" or super liberal in the sense of the word as Oregonians think. It has a reputation for being fairly conservative. I lvied there for 3 years while I was in college and it is NOTHING like portland as far as politics go. Portland is just...ughh...the liberals here are so "pop"...not really thinking about the issues...just giving lip service mainly to popular mainstream political movements to seem "in". And they are not very open and welcoming...they can be pretty discriminating against people who don't share their views. As seen by the above poster's comment about "hillbillies." Oh the horror of having to associate with uneducated borderline-hillbillies, otherwise known as the majority of Oregonians. Even most of the hipsters in Portland are really just borderline-hillbillies. Their lack of sophistication can be spotted a mile away...not to say that's bad...just that it's sad they feel such a need to act a certain way.

Last edited by jm21; 12-06-2007 at 07:06 AM..

Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
Default You Gotta be kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adliv42 View Post
I was looking over this forum, because I am originally from the Willamette Valley (Salem), and am considering moving back to OR, possibly to Portland and I had to respond to the above post. I hate to be pessimistic, but suggesting that she live in Albany or Lebanon is probably the worst advice she could be given. She said that she wanted to move to a more Liberal area that would be more progressive and socially accepting, I believe. Honestly, when I read the pro-Albany statements above, I was hoping he was kidding. Yes, she should move to Albany if she wants her kids (let alone herself) to have nothing to do, live in in an area with uneducated, borderline hillbillies, and limited employment. I agree that a meeting a good group of friends is key, but where is she going to meet friends in Albany? The bowling alley? The inevitable greeting by the smell of the paper mill as one enters town is very pleasant as well. I did see a few other posts, by the way from people suggesting that the smell isn't a big deal. Are you kidding me? Maybe all of this sarcasm is unnecessary, but Albany, OR is probably the last place to which I would suggest moving in giving advice to someone in her situation. It's great that his (DavePautsch) friends don't talk behind the backs of a few single mothers in the town (based on the population, there are probably 2 or 3 in the whole town). In stating all of this, I am merely establishing credibility, I am not suggesting that she move to Salem. In her situation, the Portland area would be the best (and obvious) fit for her. It is very liberal and progressive in general, good schools and employment are available, as well as a ton of social activities and events for both she and her kids.

adliv42; in the spirit of not starting a flame war here...you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I'm entitled to mine too. I've lived in Albany for 6 plus years and my family and I are very happy here. We've made lots of friends and feel like we are part of the community. But no matter what I say, you'll likely think I'm too much of an uneducated, borderline hillbilly, so I don't know why I'm bothering to respond to your post...

Have a great day.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM

176 posts, read 632,064 times
Quote:
adliv42; in the spirit of not starting a flame war here...you are certainly entitled to your opinion but I'm entitled to mine too. I've lived in Albany for 6 plus years and my family and I are very happy here. We've made lots of friends and feel like we are part of the community. But no matter what I say, you'll likely think I'm too much of an uneducated, borderline hillbilly, so I don't know why I'm bothering to respond to your post...

Have a great day.
Yep, always amazing how open-minded and accepting the educated liberal types are.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Have a great day.
I am glad you and your family are happy in the fine city of Albany. However, I believe that the topic of this forum is to give moving advice to a young, single mother, not to let everyone know that you and your family are happy in Albany. I don't think you are really taking the real basis of the forum into consideration. Some of the comments in this forum lead me to believe that the people behind them may not have lived anywhere but small towns such as Albany. I do apologize if my "hillbilly" comment was offensive, as I was generalizing, and I did not mean to say that you, or your family specifically were uneducated or hillbilly. The bottom line, and point that I was trying to make is that Albany is not, by any means, a good suggestion for this young woman to live, and it is funny to me that there are people on this forum think that it is.

Last edited by adliv42; 12-06-2007 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark3434 View Post
I Would Come To The Portland Area Where U Can Easily Cross Over To Vancouver Washington. The Small Hick Towns Are Not Great Unless U Want Everyone Knowing Your Business. Albany Really Smells, U Wont Like It. Hollywood Dist Or Alameda Area On East Side Of Portland Or Burling Game Area By Wilson High Or Cedar Hills Area On The Westside Of Portland Are Nice.

I agree completely with bclark. Many of the people responding to this forum are merely suggesting that this young woman live where they live. But, they aren't taking into consideration that they might have completely different lives, and lifestyles than a 26 year old single mother. I understand that this forum is based mostly on opinion, but many of the posts do not take into account her request for advice from her original post. Bclark's suggestion above, however, is dead-on I believe.

Last edited by adliv42; 12-06-2007 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon