Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:23 AM

5 posts, read 68,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Let's all hope Allyouleftbehind and her complete lack of winter driving skills isn't trying to make it back down I5 to get home tonight.

Here's the latest Siskiyou Summit warning from Tripcheck:

People really need to realize that road conditions at altitude can change from good to horrible in literally a matter of minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse98 View Post
I think all will be well. The girl and her son have been warned and advised about what to expect. She had enough sense to seek advice. I would imagine that she has enough sense to make the right decisions on her path. Keep her in your prayers.
Peace and respect,
Nurse 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Amen, she's going to need some prayers. I hope we hear from her soon.

http://bestsmileys.com/religous/6.gif (broken link)
Where did the assumption come from that I was a woman? I don't remember ever saying that. I'm actually a single father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeboxDiaries541 View Post
You worry too much. Don't.

You and your son will be fine, as long as you drive safe, keep your eyes on the road, have good tires and decent set of chains. I can almost assure you that you won't need to use your chains in December, but the ODOT REQUIRES THEM Nov-Apr.

I'd recommend stopping in the city of Redding and buying the chains at LesSchwab. If you don't use em', you can return em' on the way back. They have good chains that aren't very expensive.

As others have said, your biggest danger is other drivers. Be careful man!

I'm big on family, so if you and your son ever run into any trouble on the way, you can look me up. I drive a truck for a living and I've lived in Southern Oregon for many years. I know these roads like the back of my hand, and I'd be more than happy to put you up or give you a lift upstate if you're stranded. I'm in CA right now, but I'll be home on the third and there all month. Send an e-mail to the address in my profile.

See you on the road!
You were right, it wasn't that bad at all. My son and I left from Oakland at 1:30 and got to Portland at 11:45 on the dot! We left early this morning and were back in town by 8. It worked out perfect. I read back to what you said about that family who got lost in oregon, and I understand what you are saying. There were so many alternate routes I could have taken, but there was no way I was going to chance it with my son in the car. I-5 was clear the whole way and that was good enough for me. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad I didn't have to call you Thanks for everything, you're someone I consider a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 21,133 times
Red face Sorry, and welcome back.

My apologies. I am a victim of stereotyping. I am pleased that you made the trip safely. I hope you both had a good time. My sentiments from before would not have changed because of gender. (Despite my logon name I too am a man. Talk about stereotypes.) This has been a positive reminder to not assume anything. Welcome back to the forum.
Peace and respect,
Nurse 98

Old 12-19-2007, 11:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
I agree! Bad advice to take 101 during the winter. Especially for people who aren't familiar with the area and most especially for people who have never seen snow before!

You have to take the smaller roads to get from I-5 to 101(the "coastal hwy" or whatever you wanna call it... we call it hwy 101 but everybody seems to have their own names for things...)...

It's very easy during the winter with all it's drizzle and whatnot - not to mention he said he was going to be driving at night! - to miss an exit or take a wrong exit. I would NEVER recommend taking hwy 101 at night especially during the winter with the heavy storms that blow in suddenly seemingly out of nowhere... sometimes those gusts are really strong and mudslides and sinkholes happen all the time.

Also many of the roads which lead to hwy 101 are not maintained very well if at all during the winter... they are dangerous to drive in perfect Summer weather... it's just really risky for someone driving at night, unfamiliar with the area, and during a time of year that is very wishy-washy as far as weather. Stick with I-5 during the winter if you have to go somewhere.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
Hi,

Thank you for all the information in the forum. It has been an eye opener for me. Having said that I am planning to drive to Hillsboro, OR from San Francisco, CA. My plan is to leave office at around 4 PM and drive till I reach with adequate number of rests in between. I will be driving alone and don't have any winter driving experience.

I have read the posts and I think I will need tire chains, emergency flares, blankets, dry food, water among others.

Any pointers will be extremely helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance,
- dib

Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM

899 posts, read 2,943,447 times
my two cents worth from driving both ways between Salem and Napa , I wouldn't do it at night..5 is a good road but you want to do it in daylight..With no winter driving expierence, I can think of nothing worse than to put chains on at night, using rest stops can be sorta safe,have you ever driven 5 by yourself...If you leave SF at 5 in the morning you will be up here by 4 and you'll know by the time you get to Red Bluff what pass conditions are...Check out oregontripcheck before you leave..Its the best..Has camera's starting at Weed..
Good luck and be safe..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon