Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
There are a number of smaller airports around the state, but most of them only do short-hops, and the challenge of connecting flights with cross-country routes (times, routes) is a PITA. Medford (Ashland), AFAIK you can only go to SFO, PDX, SEA, or EUG and try to connect to wherever you're actually going from there.
Medford has multiple daily flights to PDX and SFO. It also has direct flights (but it may only be once or twice a day) to SEA, SLC, DEN. There are weekly to a couple of times a week flights to LAX, LAS and PHX.

But, as you say, a flight further east than Denver would have to be a connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:33 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajean71 View Post
We are interested in Ashland as a possibility, and Bend. The only thing holding me back about Bend is the long winters. I was also thinking about McMinnville, Sisters, or West Linn (but that has a very high cost of living from what I understand), but I know there must be towns out there we don't know about yet. We are planning a trip to check places out but we obviously want to narrow them down before we head out there. (We live in North Carolina.) So any suggestions you have, we will look at them!
Give up your #8 and I would think many Valley cities would be a good fit for you. I really like McMinnville. If you don't like the winters in Bend, Sisters is even worse. And West Linn is quite expensive, but you might find something in neighboring Tualatin or Wilsonville.

Also, don't discount parts of Salem/Keizer and Eugene. I agree with Silverfall about Corvallis, but you might find it a bit expensive.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
What about Silverton?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM

86 posts, read 266,526 times
Quote:
We live in New Bern, near the small, but quaint, downtown area. I wouldn't say it has an outdoorsy culture though. There are some people who are outdoorsy, but it isn't like when we lived out in San Diego. I like Asheville, NC, but NC overall is a bit too conservative for us. BTW, we don't really have to worry about finding employment; we have jobs where we travel (so an airport fairly close would be nice). Thanks!
I think Eugene or Ashland would fit your criteria well. Generally, I equate Eugene to Chapel Hill, but mostly because of the Universities. I find that the feel of Ashland matches up with the feel of Asheville, but it's considerably smaller. Eugene is much closer to the size of Asheville. Any of the major Oregon cities will feel liberal compared to NC.

Since you're moving from New Bern, I'm guessing that access to an international airport isn't a huge deal and regional ones would be okay? If not, that might be the deciding factor.

Last edited by Nightdiver13; 03-12-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
(1) A quaint, walkable downtown area with shops, restaurants and things going on
(2) Great schools (middle and high)
(3) Bike paths (if possible)
(4) Outdoors activities, hiking, lake, kayak, etc.
(5) Not too high of an average household income, but pretty well-educated
(6) Nearby wineries
(7) Diverse restaurants (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)
(8) More sunny days than average in Oregon (if possible)
Ashland hits #1, 3, 4, 6, 7 and #8. As far as #2, schools, as someone upthread mentioned, Oregon's better schools are more "good" than great.

As far as #5, Ashland is more expensive than much of Oregon, but not Portland, and the presence of a small university (Southern Oregon University) and a large % of well-educated, relatively wealthy, retirees bumps up the average education level.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Ashland hits #1, 3, 4, 6, 7 and #8. As far as #2, schools, as someone upthread mentioned, Oregon's better schools are more "good" than great.

As far as #5, Ashland is more expensive than much of Oregon, but not Portland, and the presence of a small university (Southern Oregon University) and a large % of well-educated, relatively wealthy, retirees bumps up the average education level.
This gets my vote too. If you can afford it, this sounds like a good match for you.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Ashland and Bend are your only real options when you add in your weather concerns. Like others have said, Bend doesn't have many wineries and it is colder than Ashland. Ashland really is the better option, but it's extremely expensive (not just housing), really pretty small and I believe Bend beats out Ashland in most of the other categories (But I might be bias ). Oh...and Bend does NOT have the 'high end' culture that Ashland has. Not in ANYWAY way shape or form. I do believe it beats Ashland out culturally in most other ways though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
I think Eugene or Ashland would fit your criteria well. Generally, I equate Eugene to Chapel Hill, but mostly because of the Universities. I find that the feel of Ashland matches up with the feel of Asheville, but it's considerably smaller. Eugene is much closer to the size of Asheville. Any of the major Oregon cities will feel liberal compared to NC.
If the OP can get over the weather criteria Eugenes a good option and so is Corvallis, but those are both extremely college-town-y so know what you're getting into.

I do think the mountains surrounding Ashland feel VERY similar to the mountains around Asheville. Asheville was on my short list with Bend when I moved west and the first thing I said to myself when I went to Ashland the first time is how the topography reminded me of the NC mountains.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-12-2014 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 05:18 PM

51 posts, read 76,895 times
We are in Grants Pass and would be happy to give you info on So Oregon if you wish. Not sure I can recommend this town if you need WORK. Pretty scarce around here, but less rain than the Willamette Valley. Portland area is quite expensive as is the entire West Coast actually. We are from CA originally and this isn't much better really. We get a LOT of FOG here and no one mentioned that to us before we came here. Something to consider.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 12,210 times
Thank you all for your help! It is difficult to know what would work best for us living clear across the country, but this will help us develop a "short list" of places to visit. I hadn't thought of Eugene as an option but I will check it out. And I am thinking Ashland may be right up our alley.

Any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Paula

Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM

51 posts, read 76,895 times
Default RE Eugene

Eugene gets a LOT of rain and the job market isn't good there either. We have made 3 cross country moves in the past 5 years so I know how HARD it is to get information and you just can't throw a dart at a map. Realtors are NO help at all, even offering to pay them to take pictures, and you can't trust their advice since they want to sell the house. A house that looks good on the net can be in a TERRIBLE neighborhood we have found. We live in MI for a year and loved it but found we missed our kids too much to leave the West Coast and now that we are back here, they moved to TN. Go figure, so we are on the hunt to move again as well. Hard to find an affordable place unless you know someone there to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon