Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regardless of my personal views on the measure, Measure 91 on the Fall 2014 Oregon ballot will:
Pass 67 84.81%
Fail 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I hope that Oregon does the right thing and bans "edibles".
...and stop children from buying flame resistant candy pipes! that was a crazy story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So you would be ok with using violence to put people in cages for choosing to consume a certain chemical in a certain way?

Edibles are fine. They are less damaging to the user than smoking.

Do you advocate that Jello-shots and sweetly flavored or brightly colored liquor should be banned because the color or flavor might be attractive to minors?
Well, you can't buy pre made jello shots at the liquor store (that I've seen, or that I know of, I may be wrong) and when a child takes a sip of a sweet or brightly colored liquor, the taste of the alcohol usually makes them spit it out.

Remember when you were a kid, they put alcohol in kids cough medicine?
Did you ever enjoy taking a big spoonful of that yucky stuff?

Most likely, kids are not going to chug down a whole bottle of banana/rum liquor and get alcohol poisoning.
If they do drink it, they are more likely to get sick and throw it up.

With pot edibles, the chance that a kid may consume three or four cookies, brownies, lollipops, or pot soda pop or something is far, far, greater because the taste of pot isn't that noticeable or disagreeable.
To a small kid, that's far more dangerous than a small gulp of liquor.

I have no problem legalizing marijuana, but come on, let's not be overly fanatical about it and have some common sense.

If you are going to buy the marijuana, make your own edibles at home, like you make your own jello shots, cocktails, etc.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-17-2014 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
If they could develop a variety of marijuana that didn't stink to high heaven I wouldn't care one way or the other if measure 91 passes or not. To each their own. But if it passes, I can only imagine things are going to get really stinky really quick - and the smell gives me dry heaves, which are no fun. There are already parts of Eugene I have trouble walking through, because they always smell like skunk...
It is interesting that no one has already developed a pot load for e-cigs. No smoke, no aroma.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Well, you can't buy pre made jello shots at the liquor store (that I've seen, or that I know of, I may be wrong) and when a child takes a sip of a sweet or brightly colored liquor, the taste of the alcohol usually makes them spit it out.

Most likely, kids are not going to chug down a whole bottle of banana/rum liquor and get alcohol poisoning.

With pot edibles, the chance that a kid may consume three or four cookies, brownies, lollipops, or pot soda pop or something is far, far, greater because the taste of pot isn't that noticeable or disagreeable.

I have no problem legalizing marijuana, but come on, let's not be overly fanatical about it and have some common sense.

If you are going to buy the marijuana, make your own edibles at home, like you make your own jello shots, cocktails, etc.
You don't buy low alcohol cocktails at the liquor store, you buy them at the supermarket. Twisted Tea is one of my favorites. It's 5% alcohol, but you can't taste it. Other items on the shelf are wine fizzes and alcoholic lemonade. Brandied fruits and chocolates are normally not even regulated, though you can buy some pretty high proof ones at the liquor store.

BTW, Irish Cream is yummy, as are various flavors of schnapps.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Is there going to be a "low THC" version of marijuana edibles?

How many little kids do you know that would willfully drink a whole beer, or a whole "twisted tea" or wine cooler?
Drinks like that require more of an adult "acquired" taste.

A high THC content chocolate chip pot cookie though?
Gone in a quick minute, and then they are reaching for another, then another, then they find the pot laced lollipops...

If we were going by buzz factor alone (and I know that the "buzz" is not the same), one normal pot brownie or cookie would be equal to several shots of vodka, not one wine fizz.

When I say little kids, BTW, I am not talking about teenagers, I am talking more about kids that are two to ten years of age.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
Quote:
If we were going by buzz factor alone (and I know that the "buzz" is not the same), one normal pot brownie or cookie would be equal to several shots of vodka, not one wine fizz.
If you know it's not the same, why even make the comparison? No amount of edibles could ever be equal to several shots of vodka. Even an extreme high on THC is not the same thing as having your GABA receptors flooded with ethanol. Even a small child would have to eat a LOT of edibles to be at risk of injury, and a whole lot to actually die from it. Not so with alcohol.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
Yes, they do. I see pre-made jello shots and similar items all the time at the liquor store.

So sweetly flavored liquors taste very much like candy and mask the alcohol taste extremely well.

Quote:
There is no such thing as a cough medicine with weed for kids, nor any edibles made for kids.

Quote:
How many kids die from edibles? None. They get sick, throw up and go on a trip. The exact same thing as alcohol, but alcohol actually can kill them.

No kid is getting killed by pot at all without some pre-existing condition.

Quote:
Wrong, alcohol poisoning kills. Marijuana "overdoses" do not.

Have you ever had an edible? Most have a very heavy unpleasant marijuana taste and smell.

Quote:
Letting people ingest a plant one way, but outlawing another method of ingesting is anything but common sense. And defending sweet, brightly colored liquor, which can actually kill kids while arguing for edibles to be illegal is hypocrisy.

Quote:
Again, your are flat out wrong that you can't buy jello shots or pre-made cocktails. I see them all the time. There is a large segment of the liquor market absolutely devoted to making alcohol products mask alcohol taste and be pleasant to drink. (And cool looking to kids and adults alike)

Second it is ridiculous to say that people should be allowed to make edibles at home, but not buy them. Nobody is selling these things to kids, in the incredibly rare scenario that a kid gets his hands on edibles, he gets them off the counter at home not at a store.

The toxicity levels of pot are extremely low compared to a "gulp of liquor." Even if they have multiple edibles.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I think what he's saying is that alcohol tastes nasty to most children, even the Irish Cream and the poppy wine coolers, so there's a built-in deterrent to a little kid actually drinking enough to flood anything. Not so with edibles created and packaged to look just like other confections.

I'm not sold on edibles. It's an adult substance that should be treated as such. We don't need the candyman.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Is there going to be a "low THC" version of marijuana edibles?
There are all levels, exactly like alcohol.

Quote:
How many little kids do you know that would willfully drink a whole beer, or a whole "twisted tea" or wine cooler?
Uh, PLENTY. There are wine coolers and such that mask alcohol taste completely.

Quote:
Drinks like that require more of an adult "acquired" taste.
Again, certain ones mask the taste entirely. The pot taste in edibles is just as present and just as likely to turn off someone not looking to get high.

It is very hard to mask the cannabis taste/smell. And it tastes like weeds, not pleasant.

Quote:
A high THC content chocolate chip pot cookie though?
Gone in a quick minute, and then they are reaching for another, then another, then they find the pot laced lollipops...
Maybe you should find the adult that owns the products. It is very illegal for them to let children have access to them.

There is no place where kids can just go get the stuff at will, and nobody will sell it to them.

Still, they won't overdose, where they could overdose on a tiny amount of alcohol.

Quote:
No, no no.

Show me any proof of this ludicrous claim

Either way you are wrong. Several shots of vodka would KILL a little kid, a pot cookie WON'T.

Quote:
When I say little kids, BTW, I am not talking about teenagers, I am talking more about kids that are two to ten years of age.
Which "one wine fizz" would likely put in serious danger.

Again, it is illegal for an adult to let a kid have access to any of those things, and it is an extremely rare occurrence.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think what he's saying is that alcohol tastes nasty to most children, even the Irish Cream and the poppy wine coolers, so there's a built-in deterrent to a little kid actually drinking enough to flood anything. Not so with edibles created and packaged to look just like other confections.
And we are saying quite flatly that he is wrong.

Quote:
I'm not sold on edibles. It's an adult substance that should be treated as such. We don't need the candyman.
Alcohol is an adult substance that should be treated as such, guess we should get rid of anything but plain, unflavored alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon