Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

If I get the job I will tell them that as soon as I found housing I will be ready to move. My plan is to also break up the trip.
They're likely to want something more definite than that, especially if they have viable backup candidates for the job.

"We'll see" is an answer not likely to sound promising to them. You can ask them what their timeline is for having someone start and go from there.

If they leave it open-ended (possible but unlikely) then you can go from there. But I'd be surprised if they didn't want at least a projection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 05:31 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
They're likely to want something more definite than that, especially if they have viable backup candidates for the job.

"We'll see" is an answer not likely to sound promising to them. You can ask them what their timeline is for having someone start and go from there.

If they leave it open-ended (possible but unlikely) then you can go from there. But I'd be surprised if they didn't want at least a projection.
What should I say then? With government, I am sure background checks could take a while too. Maybe ask them when they need me and then I can tell them from that date I need two weeks or something? I The other thing is I don't know which location I would be at. It could be in Greshmam, downtown, or NE. There were 2 other locations, I can't remember.

I could start looking for a place now, but might be a waste of my breath.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Here are the following locations:

Downtown Portland, Mid County (SE 106th & Cherry Blossom Dr), SE Portland (46th & Belmont), N/NE (MLK Blvd & Garfield), East County (Gresham)

Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If offered a job you could stay at one of our two hostel's or look at sites such as airbnb (negotiate a cheaper rate as this is off season for tourists) and spend a couple weeks looking for an apartment convenient to your place of work. Downtown is the most expensive for housing, the next two would be the ones I would prefer.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
If you aren't too picky, and you're at the Gresham site, you can probably get in somewhere pretty quickly. You can almost always find a number of openings in downtown Gresham, around Mt. Hood CC, or in Fairview/Wood Village that will be just fine.

The closer to downtown Portland the tighter the market, or the more you might have to pay to find something quickly, or risk ending up in a sketchier neighborhood. Though as said many times in many threads, while Portland has some less desirable neighborhoods, it doesn't have anything that would meet 'ghetto' standards in L.A./Chicago. But it has lots of places you wouldn't want to leave anything in plain sight in your car overnight.

In your shoes if offered the job I would just ask them how they'd like to approach the start date (accounting for background check, etc.). You can ask for a little bit of flexibility if their response seems problematic, but I definitely wouldn't open the discussion with something that implies "I have no idea when I can be there."

Old 11-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Should I be open to all locations? Should I say I'm open to all, but would prefer not downtown because I'm concerned about finances and the high cost of living in the downtown area?

I totally forgot I could probably live in a motel 6 or go through air bnb while I'm searching for a place. All though, looking at Craigslist, I see so many places out there.

I just got word today I have been officially invited for an interview. I have a choice of a phone or skype interview. I'm going with skype.

I have $1600 saved up to move out. I think that's enough for my first month's rent, security deposit, and some other expenses. My parents will help me pay for food and car insurance until I get my first paycheck.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM

I got a 7/8 on my test. Now they r going to do a scoring of the supplemental questions apart of the application and the ones who got the highest scores (top 15) will be invited for interviews). 10 will be hired.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:12 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Good luck to you.

Don't worry about accepting a position in the downtown area unless the job requires you to drive a car. Our transit system is often described as 'hub & spoke' which means that almost all lines go through downtown, just find a place to live convenient to transit.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:42 PM

I put down I'd work at any location. I'm going to get alot of pts for that. So I can't go back on it now.

How many months of the year is gloomy? Some one told me 9 months out of the year in Eugene it's cloudy. I thought it's just the winter months are colder and gloomier?

How many sunny days will I actually have? Isn't Seattle gloomier?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:29 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
Oh these people who spread gloomy rumors about the Willamette valley..Yes, your going to have some over cast days during the fall and winter months just like you do down at Pismo Beach but even on the coldest days your going to get sun shine might need 3 layers on to be out in it but just the same it will be nice..The spring and summers are full of sunshine and weather perfect for whatever you want or need to do..How do you determine cloudy, is that just clouds floating around in the sky that might even give shade on a warm afternoon or is the clouds that you need headlights on in the winter..But 9 months of cloudiness is not true..If your so worried about it call the weather service in Eugene and ask them.
We moved up here (Salem)from Suisun Ca next to Travis AFB and saw more clouds and fog there than we have in the 11 years we have been living in Salem..
Well thats my dollar two-ninetyeights worth on the subject..Hope see a I've been hired posted soon...
welcome to Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon