Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,603 times

Advertisements

Well, we were considering moving to Arlington, but after tonight's 20/20 show, I'm not feeling so good about it.

Sounds like the mayor is very professional and does a good job as mayor, so what's all the fuss? Surely not just because of photos taken 4 years ago and are actually not risque at all? Myspace is used by many of my friends and family to share photos with each other and this type of photo is not rare. So I'm wondering if there is something deeper going on in the administration -- are those citizens portrayed at the town meeting we saw on 20/20 representative of all the citizens of Arlington?

I'd really like to understand this before we move there and wish we hadn't. We still have 3 months before we move. Hopefully some of you can help me understand. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
What you're dealing with is a VERY, VERY small town--population 600. It's out in the middle of nowhere. The people are going to be very down to earth and very conservative. Having their mayor online in scanty clothing is not the type of thing they are going to appreciate because they are going to believe that an elected official should behave with a proper amount of decorum.

That's basically it. It's a rather old-fashioned, yet classy (I feel) approach. They see their mayor as representative of their community and they expect appropriate behavior from their mayor--something that will not bring embarrassment to the community. You can call that narrow-minded or non-progressive. In looking at it through their eyes, they have respect for the office of mayor and feel this is disrespectful behavior. Personally, I don't care one way or the other, but I find it refreshing that there are people who stand up for the sanctity of public office.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,786 times
Default Don't move to Arlington!!!

If you can avoid places like Arlington, and in particular that part of the country, you will be way ahead. You are dealing with more than just a small town, but also small-mindedness. "Classy" is not an adjective that I would use to describe people out that way: "Ignorant" works better for me. Given similar circumstances only the mayor be a young male cowboy model, posing for something like the Pendleton Rodeo (just down the road) posing with a can of Skoal, chaps and nothing else and you wouldn't see any kind of response at all. If you do choose to move to Oregon be prepared to not only deal with closed, one-track know-it-all type minds, also be willing to move to a state that is broke, and a place where you will send your kids to one of the worst school systems in the nation. Our family lived out there for 10 years and we escaped as soon as our kids were getting ready to go to school. Never regretted it for a second.

I am glad the mayor is staying in office. I am also glad the the residents are making such a stink about her. That response definitely advertises a segment of the population that you'll have to deal with everyday.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
Yes, classy people can only live in the metropolitan areas. Like all the classy people with their veiled racism and hatred in Portland. Like their disrespect and refusal to accept diversity of opinion. Yes, let's ignore the rural areas because they obviously have nothing to contribute; it's inconceivable that their opinions, beliefs or values system could EVER have any merit. Let's remember that the urban areas are the REAL areas of "progressiveness".

Old 01-19-2008, 03:23 PM

177 posts, read 969,428 times
Quote:
If you can avoid places like Arlington, and in particular that part of the country, you will be way ahead. You are dealing with more than just a small town, but also small-mindedness. "Classy" is not an adjective that I would use to describe people out that way: "Ignorant" works better for me.
Just because people live in Eastern Oregon, doesn't mean they're all backwoods redneck hicks with no class or intelligence!!! What's wrong with having morals and values?? Eastern Oregon is traditionally more conservative, and I agree with the citizens of Arlington that the pictures being on her myspace page was in poor taste. I dont' think you should base your move on one 20/20 interview, or the small mindedness of Western Oregonians who think that everyone who lives east of the Cascades is "ignorant". Go, visit the town and see for yourself what it's like to live there. There are some people in Arlington that support the mayor, it's not like the whole town is against her.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Experiencewith Western Oregon

My experience with Western Oregon has to do with living there for over a decade. Morals? Hmmm. I see the male model issue from the Pendleton Roundup was never addressed. Anyway, I do agree with Bobmulk.. Go there and check it out for yourself: Don't just go for an interview. See how these moral people feel about educating their youngsters or how they feel about serving their country or a myriad of other issues that I found was much more mired in "hypocracy" than morality driven. As far as "diversity of opinion", I think they have complete right to say and operate their town any way that tickles their enlightened fancy... We simply left (for another small town in another part of the country), taking our business and tax dollars with us. We weren't the first nor the last to do this. There is a saying out there that says: If you don't like the way we do things in these parts, leave. So we did.
This should be a non-issue with the mayor, who had those pictures up 4 years before taking office, and they are less revealing than a bikini. Trust me, there is far worse going on there than an old picture of the mayor--and the driving force behind these motivations can hardly be defined as morality. My advice is the same: Avoid the place and you'll be saving time by not having to move again after discovering the mindset of the place. Want nice small towns that are less likely to have these issues? Head to New England. Want small towns that offer your kids good education? Head to the Upper Midwest. Want a community that is rooted strongly in religion? Nothing like the bible-belt. I have lived in all these places and more, and Oregon (either east or west of the Cascades) is a place that I do not recommend to anyone.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:46 AM

Default From a local of Arlington

"...The mayor here in Arlington recieves a $0 paycheck. Its strictly a volunteered position......and by the way she fixed a financial disaster when she took over the mayorship following an extremely corrupt group of people. The same group of people that got booted out of office are the same corrupt mafia group that have submitted the photo to the media."

Why doesn't this surprise me?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
hummm....its better than that town in Texas, whos mayor was recently accused of stealing someones dog, faking its death, lying to the police, and keeping the poor little dog in hiding. THAT is messed up IMO.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:14 PM

177 posts, read 969,428 times
Quote:
Oregon (either east or west of the Cascades) is a place that I do not recommend to anyone.
GOOD! I'm glad, it just leaves more room here for those of us who LOVE Oregon!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Ah... Yah.

Exactly. There is that sentiment I was talking about . Again, I hold my ground. Just check on the state of economics, politics and education there and you may discover why some many are "leaving more space" for the others. On to something more important... When are the Patriots on today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon