Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:19 PM

101 posts, read 134,317 times

Advertisements

I know there are groups of lakes off the coast that have homes for sale on them but then I think of te winter rains ,winds and overcast. I loved Bend but all the lakes there dont have homes on them so i have to lug my canoes which gets too physical at my age. I was hoping Southern Oregon would have some becuae i think I would like the weather best down there but Immigrant drys up too much by summer and the other 2 Hyatt and Howard Prairie arent that close with steep Mt roads. Washington State seems to have alot of choices but the winter weather again ,isnt to my liking. When all said and done Oregon does have riverfront homes but the flow may be too strong for canoe fishing.(I have wood canvas ones) . Im retired so I dont need work out there but would like a nice town or small city nearby .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:01 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You might look at Devil's Lake, near Lincoln City. There are homes right on the lake with boat docks and the fishing is supposed to be pretty good. The water has looked calm every time I've been by there.

There is a huge price spread for the real estate along the lake so there might be something in your price range, whatever that is. Lincoln City has decent shopping and is close to Newport for additional shopping. The drive to Salem isn't too bad.

There are several nice rivers in the area for bank fishing, and you can crab off the docks in all the harbors. Tides in the harbors are strong, so maybe not suitable for a canoe. I've seen kayakers out in the harbor, but they all look very young and fit. The bank fishermen at the bar were catching Cojo at two different harbors a couple of weeks ago.

There's rain on the coast in the winter, but the temperatures don't get all that low. It rains in Southern Oregon, too.

The best trout fishing is in the lakes around Bend, but if you don't want to haul the canoe around that won't work for you.

There are some big brown trout in Klamath Lake. To me, that can be too big a body of water for a canoe, unless it is a really calm day. But real estate is reasonable and there is more sunshine than in the Rogue Valley area.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:01 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Klamath Falls has around 220 days of sun/part sun with 8" of rain, Medford has around 198 days of sun/part sun with 18" of rain, Lincoln City has around 150 days of sun/part sun with about 90" of rain. Those are fairly significant climate differences. The temps in Lincoln City are the most moderate, though, with few (to no) days of freezing/frost and the summer temps are rarely above 70°.

The problem with Klamath Lake is that it freezes over in winter and at the height of summer the algae blooms from ag runoff are heavy and the water, when it gets low, can smell less than wonderful.

One of the better lake places for canoeing is the Rocky Point area on Agency Lake (the top part of Upper Klamath Lake). There is also a "canoe trail" through the marshes that is fun. Rocky Point gets more winter snow than most of the Klamath area because of Pelican Butte right behind it. Also more fog than you normally see on the east side of the Cascades.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:05 PM

5,448 posts, read 7,743,493 times
What about Triangle Lake? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Lake,_Oregon#

Old 11-01-2015, 10:17 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The OP can take a look at FishHawk Lake. Fishhawk Lake Reserve and Community

Old 11-01-2015, 10:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Lake Oswego.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:46 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The OP can take a look at FishHawk Lake. Fishhawk Lake Reserve and Community
I don't know if this is what the OP is looking for but I love it. I put it on my wishlist for when the kids are gone. There are a number of homes listed now too.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:28 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
My in-laws were one of the first residents on the lake. DH & FIL built a large home for them on Beach Drive (next to that Realtor's residence) in the early 70s. They both passed years ago, if the house has been well maintained it would be an excellent home.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:59 PM

101 posts, read 134,317 times
Hmmm, I will check out those 3 lakes,thanks. I really liked Lake-of the woods ,Fish Lake and Crescent but they have the tie with the US forest service Lease.I just dont think that would be wise . Lake Oswego? Trout? WOW, but I bet its expensive!!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 AM

44 posts, read 99,677 times
There's Selmac Lake in Southern Oregon. I know it's a good bass lake, not sure about trout. The town of Selma is 3 miles away, and Cave Junction 12 or so. It's a county park, so you won't get a place literally on the water, but there a few places across the street or nearby. You may even find a property owner that will let you stash your canoe at his place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon