Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

I am curious to hear the experiences of native Oregonians who lived elsewhere for an extended number of years, and then returned.

Why did you leave Oregon?
Where did you go?
Why did you return?
Are you happy with your return to the state?
Are there things about places you lived in the interim that you miss?
Did your memories of Oregon living align with what you found when you returned (noting that change has happened)?

And for those from western Oregon who then lived in a sunnier place, if you returned to western Oregon, how did you tolerate the grey, drizzly weather upon return?

I am sure some of this has been covered in this forum but I didn't find an appropriate thread in my searches.

Last edited by ormari; 12-24-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 PM

135 posts, read 134,869 times
I moved to Florida for personal reasons. Hated it. Moved back here six years later.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:16 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Exclamation well...

I moved back because 'there's no place like home'.
K

Old 12-26-2015, 10:07 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
We moved to Bainbridge Island because we expected our young adult children to land in NW WA. As it turned out on started a business in Portland, the other grabbed a brass ring in the Silicon Valley. Grandchildren started to arrive, we got tired of doing the I-5 drag so moved back to Portland. Don't regret returning 'home'.

For those who think the WA sales tax is better than OR income tax let me assure you that WA taped our pockets more than the OR income tax. WA has a gross business excise tax which hits hard particularly if you do consulting while OR taxes profits. They also have a significant tax when selling your home. Because each state has their quirks it is wise to do mock returns for each state.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:19 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Lived in Scotland and England for six years, for my husband's job. Returned when the job was over.

There's no place like home.

I missed the Sunday Oregonian, Big Gulps, and available parking.

Oregon had slid a lot further down the rabbit hole to becoming California. Very noticeable when you are out of the country for six years. This is no longer the state I grew up in.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Eventually only the scenery will be the only difference between California, Oregon and Washington which often act as one block.

Oregon is still a big draw for Californians... both young and starting out and those retired with money to spend.

Almost none of those I personally know returned for good to Oregon... several tried and moved back to California... maybe their time in California changed them?

My neighbors on both sides are Oregon born and raised... they had thought about going back to retire and said so much has changed that not much seemed familiar... they also did not want to give up their California Prop 13 low property tax... Medford, Salem and Eugene...

One friend that moved back to Ashland likes it well enough... but the reason he stays is because his wife is from there... he does say some of Oregon's quirky laws have got to him... like no self service gasoline if you drive a car but it is OK if you drive a motorcycle... another is Ashland has a sales tax???

Old 12-26-2015, 07:20 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Eventually only the scenery will be the only difference between California, Oregon and Washington which often act as one block.

Oregon is still a big draw for Californians... both young and starting out and those retired with money to spend.

Almost none of those I personally know returned for good to Oregon... several tried and moved back to California... maybe their time in California changed them?

My neighbors on both sides are Oregon born and raised... they had thought about going back to retire and said so much has changed that not much seemed familiar... they also did not want to give up their California Prop 13 low property tax... Medford, Salem and Eugene...

One friend that moved back to Ashland likes it well enough... but the reason he stays is because his wife is from there... he does say some of Oregon's quirky laws have got to him... like no self service gasoline if you drive a car but it is OK if you drive a motorcycle... another is Ashland has a sales tax???
Probably means the restaurant food tax.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Probably means the restaurant food tax.
Yes...

City of Ashland, Oregon - Administrative Services - Food and Beverage Tax

Then there is the 2.5% gross receipt tax in the works

Oregon Local News - Citizen's View: Proposed 2.5-percent gross receipts tax would negatively impact all Oregonians

Not to be outdone by pending Marijuana Tax strategies...

On marijuana, Oregon cities ask for big rewrite of voter-approved legalization law | OregonLive.com

Old 12-27-2015, 07:34 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times
On my trips back to Oregon, I have certainly witnessed the state change in my absence. I operate under the assumption that it is not merely a California influence, that Oregonians themselves continue to be grow and change, but of course outside influences from California as well as other states naturally have an impact on the culture of the Oregon.

The NW cities of Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver BC (SW???) each have their own vibe but also have a distinctly Pacific NW feel that doesn't feel like California to me.

Growing up in western Oregon, I can remember going months without seeing the sun. It was all I knew, and I don't recall it being an issue. When I have returned to Oregon as a visitor, it has only been for short trips. Grey skies, whether damp or not, weren't bothersome to me. But I do wonder how those natives who've lived in other, sunnier places prior to returning were able to readjust to the frequently persistent grey...

I also wonder if they were able to re-establish any of their social connections.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:09 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,702 times
I was born and raised in Oregon, left Oregon in 1985 due to employment relocation. I lived in Alaska until 1998 and moved back to Oregon. Oregon is home, it has it's difficulties but all in all it's a great place to live. I do miss Alaska, however, the winters in Alaska was starting to take it toll on this ole body. Like Dorthy on the Wizard of Oz said: There's no place like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon