Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:17 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The government does in fact "give away" those resources to private individuals and corporations. Even though it is "federal lands" an individual and corporations can get mining rights to the lands, they can also get timber rights, and guess who benefits from that, the federal government, not the state or the county where the land resides.
That is wrong, and if it was up to me, I would put a stop to all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:12 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't get it either, but people seem to love to move to places and then try and change it to more like the place they were escaping from. If you hate UGBs, the solution is so simple. LA is over 34,000 square miles of of uncontrolled growth. Less than 2% of it is still undeveloped, and the weather is a lot better. It should be a dream location for the anti-UGB people. But I suspect they don't really want to live in that environment. They just want to come to Oregon, ruin this state with their development, and then move on to the next place to destroy.
One doesn't need to go all the way to LA to escape the UGB. Just cross the Columbia River to Clark County, WA. Lots of uncontrolled growth up there. I think the anti-growth people who post here are a good-sized minority. Most Portlanders are fine that new jobs & construction have come to the city. And Portlanders are urbanites who want to live close to the center of town. The new housing in the Pearl (if they can afford it) is just what many of them want.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:34 PM

198 posts, read 344,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Graduates are still leaving Oregon. So? Some places weren't meant to have perpetual hot job markets. I'd rather have the farmland than a bunch of new graduates living in apartments. And guess what, Julie -- you don't get to decide how I feel about that. You do eat food, don't you? Thank a farmer.

Yes, it's obvious that you don't care about the Portland area, but the commentary you're complaining about seemed pretty specific to that particular part of the state.
The thread's data is about far more than Portland. And, nope, I don't care about Portland issues; Portland doesn't care about Southern Oregon, either, I'd imagine. But it seems that the metro people here often like to issue a general "stay out of Oregon," which reflects on us all.

There are many threats to farmland. People relocating here, is negligible in that respect. But that presupposes there are even families and individuals still willing and able to farm it all and don't want to sell their land or use it for other purposes. Unless you're advocating for factory farms.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:40 PM

198 posts, read 344,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oregon is actually tiny. 2/3 of the state is owned by the federal government and is not available for human occupation. Oregon actually only consists of the Willamette Valley and a few small strips of habitable land in other river valleys and along the coast. If it was not claimed for homesteading by 1934, it never would be. In 1902 the federal government started taking homesteads along rivers back for water projects. During the Great Depression, property foreclosed for taxes by the counties was turned over to the BLM for management, and to this day has never been returned to private ownership. Forty acres on the section just west of me is "BLM land."

A pitiful 17% of the state was ever homesteaded. Some large tracts were purchased from the federal government by timber companies about 100 years ago, and that is it for private ownership in the state.
Larry, what's the deal with OCE lands? I have been reading a bit about some contention over it down here but don't understand.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandjulie View Post
The thread's data is about far more than Portland. And, nope, I don't care about Portland issues; Portland doesn't care about Southern Oregon, either, I'd imagine. But it seems that the metro people here often like to issue a general "stay out of Oregon," which reflects on us all.

There are many threats to farmland. People relocating here, is negligible in that respect. But that presupposes there are even families and individuals still willing and able to farm it all and don't want to sell their land or use it for other purposes. Unless you're advocating for factory farms.
As I already told you, I was responding to commentary that seemed specifically pointed at the Portland metro.

Not advocating for or against "factory farming." Just responding to your rather rude post calling those who'd rather not see the UGB undone "asshats" as well as pointing out that plenty of Oregonians have had to relocate to other states for work.

The attitude that we should be happy to see newcomers because they supposedly bring more service jobs to the area is exactly what many people have against them btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon