Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 29,937 times

Advertisements

Tualatin does not have good public transportation. On limited income, living close-in or near the max line are the best options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,883 times
Salem and Eugene are two cities that are smaller than Portland but still have good bus service. Salem housing is probably more affordable than Eugene. Eugene is a college town so rentals near the college carry a premium price.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,366 times
I just moved here from brooklyn just 6 mths. I just think that parts of Portland is not that good but the places that are nice are very $$$$. Beaverton is nice and Hills is nice just dont go to far it is country. Also aloha is nice to. People will say diff. It does rain alot but it also stays cloudy to. People are not all that friendly. Oregon takes alot to get used to but it is nice and green. Good luck to you.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,062 times
We currently live in Hillsboro. It's beautiful here and the community has loads of activities for its residents plus -- good stores, shopping, restaurants.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
you can get a one bedroom for around $450 or so with utilities paid in a decent neighborhood. Also please check out roommates.
I already live in Portland but boy if you can tell me where I can find this miracle in Portland I will move tomorrow.

To the OP, you are better off finding a place with an easy commute to your job and Hillsboro has some nice areas.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
I was thinking of moving to portland, oregon, from lawton/fort sill , oklahoma what would be a good area for me to live in thats decent, close to grocery stores, public transportation, entertainment, and resturaunts etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaybee View Post
I was thinking of moving to portland, oregon, from lawton/fort sill , oklahoma what would be a good area for me to live in thats decent, close to grocery stores, public transportation, entertainment, and resturaunts etc.
That entirely depends upon what you can afford for rent or home purchase. Also the proximity to your work will factor in a good neighborhood for you.

Portland has many, many neighborhoods that will have what you are looking for. You need to narrow it down some.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM

351 posts, read 537,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyn2or View Post
People are not all that friendly.
Ludicrous!!!!!!!!

LMAO+ROFL

Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 AM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
As with most of the country, securing employment is iffy anywhere in Oregon. Corvallis, where I live, has the lowest listed unemployment rate in the state and even here finding work is largely a matter of luck. We're better off than Michigan or Nevada (or even Niagra Falls) but the situation here is grim.
If you have independant income or have skills in a high enough demand profession to take the risk of moving out here without a job then Corvallis is a city to add to your list of "look at's"

Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Corvallis does have lower unemployment, yes. And it hasn't been hit particularly hard by the recession. However, before someone considers moving here, they should realize that the town's permanent resident population has actually been shrinking. It's not that the economy is so great here (although it's relatively not-bad for some positions) so much as it is that when people lose their jobs (like HP getting rid of thousands of employees), people leave as quickly as possible because they know that they will never get a similar job here because 1) there's really only one gig in town for most positions outside of retail and restaurants and 2) companies are never going to set up shop in a town with such an openly hostile attitude towards business and people who have to work for a living.

Even opening a grocery store results in months of protest by outraged citizens who fear that the co op will not be able to charge $5 for moldy old hummus anymore. Building housing to take some of the pressure off the rental market gets held up for months or years while citizens whine about mythical increased traffic and crow about how the development of overgrown empty lots will destroy the character of the town. One of the city councilmen actually suggested eliminating jobs as a way to cut down on traffic downtown.

Make no mistake, the city only has low unemployment because people leave and because the university is such a dominant influence. Of course, if the townspeople got their way, they'd drive the university away too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon