Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Areas to live in with employment opportunities and affordable cost of living?
Astoria/ Warrenton/ Seaside/ Cannon Beach 2 11.76%
Tillamook 1 5.88%
Lincoln City/ Newport 8 47.06%
Florence/ Reedsport 1 5.88%
Coos Bay 4 23.53%
Bandon 0 0%
Brookings 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 PM

199 posts, read 220,121 times

Advertisements

So you are moving from complete desert to complete opposite of desert. That's like moving from North Pole to Egypt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 PM

5,547 posts, read 7,851,011 times
I would pick Newport for two reasons:

1. Largest and most diverse town on the coast in terms of economics.

2. Newport is the closest city on the coast to the Willamette Valley. You can somewhat reasonably commute from Newport to Corvallis for work if it really came to it and you needed work. It is about 50 miles of 2-lane road but people do it. Every other city on the coast is going to have a substantially longer drive to get to any inland cities.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:24 PM

868 posts, read 1,073,835 times
I've been here for 20+ years. Never thought of Newport as economically diverse. After minimum wage-type jobs, there aint much else. OK, maybe compared to other coastal cities, as you said. But that doesn't say much.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:37 PM

5,547 posts, read 7,851,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I've been here for 20+ years. Never thought of Newport as economically diverse. After minimum wage-type jobs, there aint much else. OK, maybe compared to other coastal cities, as you said. But that doesn't say much.
You are right of course. No place on the coast is really booming. It is only by comparison to other cities on the coast that I make the reference.

Couldn't find stats for just Newport. But these are the 20 largest employers in Lincoln County which includes Lincoln City as well as Newport. In addition to the normal retail, wood products, and seafood processing jobs, Newport at least has NOAA and the OSU science center but those are pretty technical jobs and very competitive.

Lincoln County Largest Employers: Economic Development Alliance of Lincoln County, Newport, Oregon - business relocation and expansion services

1 Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians
2 Samaritan Health Services
3 Lincoln County School District
4 Lincoln County
5 Georgia Pacific Toledo
6 OSU Hatfield Marine Science Center
7 Pacific Seafood
8 NOAA
9 Walmart
10 Oregon Coast Brewing (Rogue Ales)
11 Fred Meyer
12 City of Lincoln City
13 Central Lincoln PUD
14 Salishan Lodge
15 City of Newport
16 Safeway Stores
17 Trident Seafoods (seasonal)
18 Shilo Inns
19 Inn at Spanish Head
20 Oregon Coast Aquarium
21 Mid Columbia Bus Company
22 JC Market, Newport
23 Mo's Restaurants
24 Best Western Plus Agate Beach Inn
25 Western Cascades Industries

Old 08-20-2018, 07:45 AM

63,332 posts, read 29,409,763 times
What about Lincoln City for retirement? Is it that gloomy and cold year around to make it not a very desirable town for retirement?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 9,264,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What about Lincoln City for retirement? Is it that gloomy and cold year around to make it not a very desirable town for retirement?
Lincoln City is a retirement community. It is a very desirable town for retirement.

It is not a warm weather climate. If you are looking for a warm weather climate, please consider Southern California, Florida, or Hawaii. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:52 PM

63,332 posts, read 29,409,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Lincoln City is a retirement community. It is a very desirable town for retirement.

It is not a warm weather climate. If you are looking for a warm weather climate, please consider Southern California, Florida, or Hawaii. Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks. I already live in So. Calif. and hate the dryness and the heat. I would love to live somewhere where there is a change of seasons with lots of trees, rain and cooler weather. Lincoln City sounds ideal for me.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:43 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,891,459 times
Quote:
Thanks. I already live in So. Calif. and hate the dryness and the heat. I would love to live somewhere where there is a change of seasons with lots of trees, rain and cooler weather. Lincoln City sounds ideal for me.
The coast is very green, year-round, but the only real change of season is from cold and wet to cool and somewhat less wet. If you are looking for a definitive spring and fall, the coast is not really the place to pick.

Here is a temperature graph for Newport from City Data's section on states and cities and you can see that winter is low 50s and 8-14" of rain a month and summer (July, Aug, Sept) is low 60s and 4-6" of rain a month.

City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-21-2018, 06:49 PM

812 posts, read 1,069,505 times
I am just fascinated by these threads that are started by someone, and in 2 months the OP has never posted a followup after a couple of cautionary recommendations, but the thread merrily plows along with a life of its own.

Just in case...... Definitely find the job first, then follow that location.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 9,264,864 times
Quote:
In that case, welcome to the Oregon Coast. Very few hot days, and very little dryness. Though there is not really four season. It's more just wet and dry seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon