Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Areas to live in with employment opportunities and affordable cost of living?
Astoria/ Warrenton/ Seaside/ Cannon Beach 2 11.76%
Tillamook 1 5.88%
Lincoln City/ Newport 8 47.06%
Florence/ Reedsport 1 5.88%
Coos Bay 4 23.53%
Bandon 0 0%
Brookings 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 7,009 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving from Nevada (Vegas) to the Oregon Coast in Fall/ Winter 2018. Currently we are interested in the Lincoln City/ Newport or Seaside/ Astoria areas but looking for input and additional information as well. I have experience working in the healthcare (direct care) field and in administrative. He has experience working in Landscaping for the last 8 years in Nevada desert and Minnesota. We are looking for a city that has a good source of employment opportunities in these fields and has an affordable cost of living. We love to be active (hiking, skateboarding, swimming, really any type of exercise to be honest).

We plan to just rent an apartment for awhile, no kids, no pets, and one of us will probably be utilizing the bus system to get to work etc.

Last edited by KRahier1992; 06-18-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRahier1992 View Post
We are going to be moving from Nevada (Vegas) to the Oregon Coast in Fall/ Winter 2018. Currently we are interested in the Lincoln City/ Newport or Seaside/ Astoria areas but looking for input and additional information as well. I have experience working in the healthcare (direct care) field and in administrative. He has experience working in Landscaping for the last 8 years in Nevada desert and Minnesota. We are looking for a city that has a good source of employment opportunities in these fields and has an affordable cost of living. We love to be active (hiking, skateboarding, swimming, really any type of exercise to be honest).

We plan to just rent an apartment for awhile, no kids, no pets, and one of us will probably be utilizing the bus system to get to work etc.
Where every you can get hired would be best. Bus service is very limited anywhere on the Oregon Coast. If bus service is a requirement you will be extremely limited as to where you can live and work. I would suggest buying a second car and flooding the entire Coast with your resumes. Then wait and see what comes back.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I don't know about all of the options, but I don't think any of them are particularly good regarding employment options.

That said, I'm familiar with the Brookings OR, Crescent City, CA area, and you might be able to get a job in Crescent City at some of the health care services there, and it's not a bad commute from Brookings, OR. Many people do it. There is bus service between the two towns.

And landscaping is always needed everywhere. But, you'd have more customers that can afford to pay someone in Brookings rather than Crescent City.

Brookings is a very nice small town. Way more upscale than Crescent City with some decent entertainment and farmers markets, etc.

Also, if you were situated in Brookings, it might be possible to also work in Gold Beach, OR.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Have you been to the Oregon coast in more than one season? Do you understand the geography and weather? These are all very small towns strung along the coast with limited to non-existent public transportation.

Apologies if you have been here before and understand what you would be getting in to, but we get a lot of new posters who have never been to the coast or have only been once in the summer.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-19-2018, 11:15 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
If there were livable income jobs here along the Coast, then our adult kids and their families would be living here. Instead, they have to move on. Just Saying.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Have you been to the Oregon coast in more than one season? Do you understand the geography and weather? These are all very small towns strung along the coast with limited to non-existent public transportation.

Apologies if you have been here before and understand what you would be getting in to, but we get a lot of new posters who have never been to the coast or have only been once in the summer.
This makes me think of people who tell me they can't wait to move to the PNW. They tell me they were there once in August and it was soooo greeeeen!

I tell them to think about that for a minute. August. Everything is green. What can possibly make that happen? It sure isn't lots of dry sunny weather.

Like our old saying regarding living in western WA, "We have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding."

I will say that living in Crescent City doesn't include snow or really hot weather. But, it's windy and overcast and rainy and cold most of the time. Beautiful, though. Very green.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:45 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
If there were livable income jobs here along the Coast, then our adult kids and their families would be living here. Instead, they have to move on. Just Saying.
We've visited the Oregon coast a number of times have a close friend who was stationed there with his family while in the coast guard. Bottom line, its a fantastic place to visit. But... based upon the conversations I've had with locals there is simply not much work. The economies are rather depressed post logging days.

When speaking with this one local in Port Orford, I asked him what most folks do for a living in the area. He basically said weed was the main industry there. In other words there isn't much else.

Beautiful? Absolutely! Decent job availability with adequate pay? Very slim pickins. BTW, I took these photos in May and yes, it was super green with coastal wildflowers blooming - truly a lovely and less inhabited place. I can't imagine what it would be like if there was more work and what that would do to the sleepy little town nature of the Oregon coast.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-19-2018 at 09:53 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
There is health care on the coast and assisted living on the coast. I suggest that you start applying for jobs and move to where you can get work.

At most of the towns on the coast, there are restaurants, banks, retail stores, basic stuff that is available every where and all those places have employees. The larger towns have governments offices, utility companies, road crews, electricians, plumbers. It's not like there is no work on the coast.

Landscape is always perfect all over Yachats and there is money there, so maybe there is work for landscapers. That's reachable from Newport.

For landscaping, though, I would concentrate on places with a lot of summer rentals. Those places all pay landscapers. A big plus if the guy who mows the lawn can also fix house trim that storms have blown loose.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I agree with the above poster about finding work; I've never seen the coast like this. The depressed timber town vibe still lingers, but there are jobs now, at least in the larger communities.

What's going to be tough is finding a place to live. I'm a part-time resident of Florence, and rental housing is extremely tight. I live in a gated community and wouldn't have it any other way -- there's a lot of petty crime, vehicle break-ins, porch-pirating, stupid annoying stuff like that. There's a little bus I see now and then that passes as public transit.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM

197 posts, read 458,986 times
Transit Intercity Bus Schedule | Lincoln County Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon