Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 948 times

Advertisements

Hi. Let me start from the beginning. I smoked weed about the size of a fingernail about a year ago. I'm trying to get into a service academy to become an officer in the military. If I do, I need to fill out a form later on. It will ask about past drug use. I have already filled a similar form, and am trying to fix my answer because I filled it out in front of my parent. I was nervous of their reaction to me putting yes, so I put no. It wasn't the right time to tell the parent. I am now wanting to tell him/her. I want to, because if my answers are different on both forms, I may be looking at 8 years of jail and a $1000 fine. I also want to just be honest. But I am afraid of their reaction. Angry, sad, heartbroken, disappointed, disbelief, you name it. I've been losing sleep, getting very stressed, and all that. I want to know when the right time, where the right place, and how the right way is to tell my parents that I smoked weed one time with someone I am not friends with anymore. I am getting scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Your reaction to the answer given on the previous form is admirable, however don't let another bad decision ruin your plans. If in fact your "smoking" is behind you, fill out the form as if you have never smoked and move on. I normally don't advocate for not accepting the consequences for your actions, but one indiscretion should not be a show stopper.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Since this is the Oregon forum, I'm guessing this somehow has something to do with Oregon.

Recreational marijuana has been legal in Oregon since 2015. Not sure if that matters to you or to your parents, but it wasn't like you broke the law. If the form was asking specifically about illegal drugs, you gave the right answer.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Getting into a service academy is hard enough without sabotaging your own application. I understand your intent to answer with honor, but you should let the past be the past. There is no reason to dredge up teenage indiscretions that you have no intention of repeating. If you are feeling guilt over past actions, realize that it's your problem and no one else's.

Good luck in your career.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Recreational marijuana has been legal in Oregon since 2015. Not sure if that matters to you or to your parents, but it wasn't like you broke the law. If the form was asking specifically about illegal drugs, you gave the right answer.
You're assuming, probably wrongly, that this person was at least 21 years old at the time. Also, the question is about past drug use, not whether you used a drug that is currently illegal in your state.

OP, you already lied so you have to deal with that. Would have been better to be upfront and honest about it on the original application, because they don't really care if you tried this in high school as long as its not something you plan on using again during your career. If you have another form you need to fill it out honestly regardless of how you answered on a previous form. ROTC would be a little less stringent on this than a SA posting...

Last edited by DKM; 08-13-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 AM

218 posts, read 244,520 times
Probably shouldn't worry about it. These days pot is so commonly used that usually past use isn't really an issue. What you from today forward is more important. I haven't smoked pot in years, don't plan to do it and can't remember the last time I did. See how it affects memory, LOL.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
It was more than a year ago, a minute amount and was never done again????

Omg let it go. Carry on.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Carry on is right.

There's no need to rat yourself out here.

Just carry on. When you fill out the next form, and all the others in the future, check no you've never used marijuana.

Since you only did it ONE TIME, there aren't going to be lots of people coming out of the woodwork to accuse you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon