Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 03:32 PM

991 posts, read 1,526,530 times

Advertisements

I think Ashland would have more action for a 25 year old nurse because of the college. I'd give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,823 posts, read 58,400,246 times
For OP age and desires... I vote Bend (for Oregon), tho Oregon would not be on my top 10 list if I had the OP's criteria.

Especially if just starting on my 'Wage earning yrs'.

5 'other' PNW states (+ Canada)) would draw my attention. (quickly... especially PAY and TAXES)

Different choice of state could mean 10 - 20 yrs earlier FIRE. (Financial Independence / Retire Early)

Where is OP coming from? (That will help to direct a better recommendation)

Old 02-23-2019, 01:06 AM

30,796 posts, read 19,438,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malicious-berry View Post
I’ll be moving to the PNW when I’m roughly 25 and newly licensed as a registered nurse. I know I want to live in the northwest because of its natural beauty, but I’m not sure which state would best suit me. Lately, I’ve been looking into Oregon.

I am a leftist, but not an identitarian. I really don’t want to live someplace like Portland, where people are extremely PC, etc. I recognize the appeal of that sort of environment to some, but it’s not for me. (I’m okay with it in small doses.) I want to live somewhere with more local business than corporations, near/in the mountains, and with a hospital nearby so I don’t have to travel far for work.

Initially, Ashland seemed perfect, but I’ve been reading that some consider it a very new-age-white-people-esque place. I’ve already lived in Salem, MA and have had enough of the gimmicky new age stuff, lol. Looking into the rest of Jackson county, people say it’s quite conservative. Like I don’t care for leftist identity politics, I don’t care for baby boomers moaning about crazy liberals.

Do any Oregon cities/towns check these very vague boxes?
Hood River and Bend. On the Washington side, Anacortes.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:34 AM

484 posts, read 358,638 times
Honestly Portland is one of the least corporate big cities with a healthy economy in the country. While there is certainly a large contingent of PC&identity politic contingent in Portland there are plenty of less radical yet still liberal young people in the city. Oregon has some fantastic smaller cities but in your situation Portland is also your best bet in terms of finding your group of friends, work and dating. I would start there to be honest.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 AM

5,534 posts, read 7,832,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Hood River and Bend. On the Washington side, Anacortes.
The OP is a young woman looking for nursing jobs. And you are pointing to Hood River with a population of 7,000 and a tiny 25 bed hospital? And Anacortes which is about 15,000 population with a 40 bed hospital? Both of which are struggling (the hospitals).

One doesn't have to move to Portland or Seattle to find opportunitites. There are a variety of medium size cities in the Northwest. But if I were a newcomer starting out a medical career and looking for professional opportunities I would most certainly be looking at larger cities with larger hospitals where you will find a lot more professional opportunities and potential for advancement.

In OR: Eugene, Salem, Medford, and Bend will have the most medical jobs outside Portland. Those are the cities where the larger hospitals are located, and therefore, also the largest concentrations of ancillary and primary care clinics.

In WA: Olympia, Tacoma, Bellingham, Wenatchee, Yakima, Tri-Cities, Vancouver, and Spokane will provide the most opportunities outside of Seattle for the same reasons.

Just for kicks I'd also look at Boise ID which is a fast growing popular city, and Couer d'Alene ID which is almost a suburb of Spokane and one of the more gorgeous spots in the Northwest.

There are also a LOT of hospitals and opportunities in some of the suburban cities near both Portland and Seattle. Too many to list. But both of those big metro areas are surrounded by suburban communities with large and growing hospitals and associated medical industries. Honestly those are the places where you'll likely find the most professional opportunities.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,756,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The OP is a young woman looking for nursing jobs. And you are pointing to Hood River with a population of 7,000 and a tiny 25 bed hospital? And Anacortes which is about 15,000 population with a 40 bed hospital? Both of which are struggling (the hospitals).
May be a woman, may be a man. Gender was not mentioned.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:19 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
In OR: Eugene, Salem, Medford, and Bend will have the most medical jobs outside Portland. Those are the cities where the larger hospitals are located, and therefore, also the largest concentrations of ancillary and primary care clinics.
Oregon Health Sciences University (just south of downtown Portland, up on a hill known as Pill Hill) also offers the most opportunity for growth in the medical field, whether it is an advanced degree, specialty certifications or the Nurse Practitioner program.

Portland has two Level 1 Trauma hospitals, the only ones in Oregon. Eugene, Salem, Bend and Medford have Level 2 trauma hospitals.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 02-28-2019, 06:31 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,787,028 times
You sound vaguely familiar...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-year-old.html

Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,648,209 times
For smaller towns, you might enjoy The Dalles, OR, or White Salmon, Wa, or Hood River, OR.

I used to live in that area. You can get to Portland when you want big city stuff, but can enjoy smaller town daily life.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,914,461 times
Right. Since they're both in the medical field and are asking for relocation advice on a forum created for that purpose, they must be the same person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon