Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 07:14 PM

330 posts, read 428,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have found people there super friendly when I am showing homes and chat with people all the time.
it really sounds like a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So I don't live in Albany, but I do sell old homes. What I suggest is just walk around the Monteith Historic District. I have found people there super friendly when I am showing homes and chat with people all the time. I was showing a home to a client and one neighbor invited her over for coffee if she wanted to ask about the city, as she was deciding between Albany and Salem.

Since you like older homes, I would chat with the older homeowners as I do think that the vibe of that area is different than the newer areas.
That is exactly what happened when I visited. I was walking around one of the historic districts and one person invited me in to look at the inside of their house (I was admiring one of their trees), I asked a lady working in her yard about her house and she went and got her wife who told me more about the place. They offered to lend me a bicycle. Another person invited me in for coffee when I asked if anything was open on Sunday in downtown Albany. I was absolutely floored by how trusting people were.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
<snip>

Honestly you can probably find a quirky coffee shop, health food store, and farmer's market in pretty much any town in the US anymore. There was plenty of that in Waco TX in the Baptist heartland, where we lived for a decade. The real question is how much of a social and political minority do you actually want to be. Versus how much of your views and values do you want to see reflected in the community in which you live. I eventually got sick of seeing my community consistently make the wrong decisions about everything, and consistently elect people with whom I disagreed. My sanity, stress level, and mental health are all much improved now that I live back in a community that more closely represents my values. I can't imagine going through the pandemic and Trump years while still living back in central Texas.
(emphasis mine)

Sorry, I think I missed this addition to your post earlier. This is an important consideration. I feel I don't really fit in anywhere, but I know in Eugene I can pretty much be myself, and the local government, though ineffective, is mostly made up of people who reflect my values.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:44 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truculentrelief View Post
That is exactly what happened when I visited. I was walking around one of the historic districts and one person invited me in to look at the inside of their house (I was admiring one of their trees), I asked a lady working in her yard about her house and she went and got her wife who told me more about the place. They offered to lend me a bicycle. Another person invited me in for coffee when I asked if anything was open on Sunday in downtown Albany. I was absolutely floored by how trusting people were.
That is my experience in the historic district there over the years. I have not had that experience in other parts of Albany, but the historic district is a different group of people in my experience. Super gracious and welcoming.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Silverfall is right. The Monteith district is far from representative of Albany as a whole.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That is my experience in the historic district there over the years. I have not had that experience in other parts of Albany, but the historic district is a different group of people in my experience. Super gracious and welcoming.
I have relatives who live in the rural fringes of Albany, kind of between Albany and Lebanon. They are a bit scary and hostile, even to me and I'm related. Way too many guns and not enough common sense. So maybe my impressions of the place are a bit colored by that.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:51 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I have relatives who live in the rural fringes of Albany, kind of between Albany and Lebanon. They are a bit scary and hostile, even to me and I'm related. Way too many guns and not enough common sense. So maybe my impressions of the place are a bit colored by that.
No. I think that is an accurate depiction of the area. I think there are other cities that are more hostile than Albany, but it still has a strong right-wing bent there. I'm just in and out of neighborhoods all the time so I have will have a different impression of certain parts of Albany. Most cities have something redeeming about them.

The historic district just has this just warm and welcoming group of people. They have an annual (pre-Covid) Holiday Parlor tour in that neighborhood. The historic district is just a thing there. It is a really large district for such a small town, so there is a huge sense of pride in those old homes there.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:23 PM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Albany is only a 45 minute drive from Eugene... seems like not that much of an imposition to just go spend some time there and check it out. My impression of Albany is that it's one of the more working class downscale towns in the Willamette Valley, and so the businesses and amenities there reflect that but the cost of housing also reflects that.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Albany has always felt more blue collar than Eugene, not that there is anything wrong with that. It has a somewhat industrial feel but also closest city to I-5 in that small metro. I love the area directly to the west with the slow buildup to the Coastal range, but for the city itself not too interested. That said nearby college town Corvallis has much more vibrancy.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-13-2021 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon