Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 PM

94 posts, read 332,733 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my wife and I (both 29) have 2 small children (under 3 years) and are seriously considering a move from Sacramento, Ca to Oregon. We've been looking predominantly at the Portland, Salem, and Corvallis regions of the state as that's where I've seen job postings. I work for the State of California in Corrections (Probation/Parole) and she is in communications/marketing. I have many questions it's hard to list them all. I'm sure some of them have been asked in other topics but I haven't had a chance to look them all up.

1) How is the state economy in Oregon ? California's sux. Does Oregon at least pass their budget on time ? I know they have a two-year budget. Our esteemed governor's answer is increased sales tax and democrats want to tax even more. Heaven forbird they decide to cut programs. As such, I'm one who could potentially be earning $6.55/HR. I know Corvallis is basically a college, HP, and county employee town.

2) How does the cost of living compare ? I make $5174/month. Everyone can see it as our lovely local paper, The Sacramento Bee, posted all State employee's salaries. How does this compare to Oregon ? I geuss what I'm asking would be a comparable salary to accept. I've seen jobs in Benton Co between 3400-4500/mo and in Portland from 3700-5200/mo.

3) Home prices seem cheaper than here even with our housing bubble bursting. What are property taxes like ? I pay roughly 1% of my home value in taxes a year here.

4) If I took a job in Portland, are people who live in Vancouver, WA seen differently ? I noticed WA doesn't have state income taxes and home prices seemed (although I could be wrong) lower.

5) Overall, how are public schools? Although we may end up sending our girls to private schools, as I went to them, we wouldn't rule out public schools. Do they have any political agenda's, have competent teachers, class sizes, etc.

6) Also, if anyone has any personal knowledge of any major differences in LE between California and Oregon that would be great.

7) The weather in Oregon wouldn't bother my wife and I. Growing up in Sonoma County (wine country) we miss the foggy mornings, natural AC, rain, and cooler weather. How is the air quality in the Williamette Valley ? One of my fears in Sacramento is our girls risk for asthma. Our 2.5 year old already has an inhaler she has to use to frequently for my liking.

Any help is much appreciated. Again, I'm sick of California and would love to get out should the right oppurtunity present itself. For Oregon residents, northern CA folk are much different than so CA people. If we had it our way, we'd be two seperate states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMKM-Miller View Post

1) How is the state economy in Oregon ? California's sux. Does Oregon at least pass their budget on time ? I know they have a two-year budget. Our esteemed governor's answer is increased sales tax and democrats want to tax even more. Heaven forbird they decide to cut programs. As such, I'm one who could potentially be earning $6.55/HR. I know Corvallis is basically a college, HP, and county employee town.
Salem is the state capital and all of the prison systems are located here. Most people work for the state in Salem. It is the largest employer.

Oregon does not have a manufacturing base like many states so we tend to be on the higher end for employment. We are considered a fairly desirable place to live so we have a lot of competition for good jobs.

Quote:
2) How does the cost of living compare ? I make $5174/month. Everyone can see it as our lovely local paper, The Sacramento Bee, posted all State employee's salaries. How does this compare to Oregon ? I geuss what I'm asking would be a comparable salary to accept. I've seen jobs in Benton Co between 3400-4500/mo and in Portland from 3700-5200/mo.
That pay scale would be on the higher end of state jobs in your area. Our cost of living is less than Sac though.

Quote:
3) Home prices seem cheaper than here even with our housing bubble bursting. What are property taxes like ? I pay roughly 1% of my home value in taxes a year here.
I had some clients just move from Sac up here and they sold their small 1100 sq foot cottage for $255,000 in a neighborhood with police helicopters going overhead, and purchased a new construction $3,000 sq foot home with granite, etc for $335,000 in a nice neighborhood.

If you are a vet, we have a program called ODVA here, which is a specific loan program for Oregon.

Despite the bubble, Salem is significantly cheaper.

Quote:
4) If I took a job in Portland, are people who live in Vancouver, WA seen differently ? I noticed WA doesn't have state income taxes and home prices seemed (although I could be wrong) lower.
Home prices are cheaper in Vanc compared to PDX, but we don't have sales tax here, and they do. Also fees are insane there. To register a car is like $500, where ours is $40 or so. At least income tax is deductable on your federal taxes, but sales tax is not. It all works out the same in the end. You are getting taxed no matter what.

Quote:
5) Overall, how are public schools? Although we may end up sending our girls to private schools, as I went to them, we wouldn't rule out public schools. Do they have any political agenda's, have competent teachers, class sizes, etc.
We rank higher than CA, but our schools having some funding problems. There are many excellent schools in Oregon. Once you figure out if you want to come here, you can start to investigate schools.

I don't think there are any political agenda's, but it depends on your perspective. There are many religious based schools in all of those towns if that is what you are looking for.

My son goes to Schirle in Salem and his class had 23 in his first grade. There are some schools that are bulging though and had 30 kids in some of the 3-4th grade classes.

Quote:
6) Also, if anyone has any personal knowledge of any major differences in LE between California and Oregon that would be great.
I will email my client that just moved here and ask them.

Quote:
7) The weather in Oregon wouldn't bother my wife and I. Growing up in Sonoma County (wine country) we miss the foggy mornings, natural AC, rain, and cooler weather. How is the air quality in the Williamette Valley ? One of my fears in Sacramento is our girls risk for asthma. Our 2.5 year old already has an inhaler she has to use to frequently for my liking.
My hubby has asthma and doesn't have problems in Salem. I think field burning is more of a problem in the Eugene area. I think since the ranges come together just south of Eugene it must trap the smoke better or something.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM

94 posts, read 332,733 times
Silver, thank you for your response. I do realize the cost of living is less in Oregon and less in Salem/Corvallis then Portland so I can't really expect to make as much. I just wanted to ensure the salaries are comparable. If your client has any additional info to pass on that would be great. I'm all ears California is killing me and I would a fresh start.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
My client said

"EVERYTHING here is cheaper, I just had a 2 hour haircut for $35!!! With the notable exception of property tax. Gas is cheaper, housing is cheaper, food and dining is about the same. It's hard to say about utilities because our house is so much bigger here. Our 4Runner costs over $300/year to register there and here is 50 bucks for 2 years. Income tax here is also higher in Oregon. The fact that we have to have our sprinkler system inspected every year for $25 is totally bogus, but every city has dumb laws like that. "

We have backflow device requirements on underground sprinklers to prevent pesticides, etc from draining into unwanted areas. It's $25 every two years.

Not too specific, but hope that helps!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 21,669 times
Do what a friend of mine does. Live in Brookings and work at Pelican Bay.

B

Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
Bits to add - as a former Santa Cruzan, I have no bias. If you live in Vancouver, but work in Oregon, you pay Oregon income tax. Commuting across the bridges isn't always great either.
Washington state salaries are better than Oregon's. Oregonians, in the last ten years, have decided they don't like to pay tax. State employee salaries are lower than CA by a substantial margin. In fact, salaries are lower in general, particularly outside Portland.
Food prices are higher. Other prices are often full retail, because there is no sales tax.
Car tags are about the same in WA and OR - $40 or so for two years.
You may find it harder to rent a house than you would in Sacto.

It's easy to apply for state jobs online. I would recommend one of you have a job before you move here.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 AM

126 posts, read 260,640 times
It isn't just the last years that Oregonians decided they don't like to pay taxes. It's been like that for at least forty years (I'm 49).

Schools in Portland aren't that great, people are fleeing the city for the suburbs. As for a political agenda, I would say Portland has one--it's the typical PC crap.

Corvallis has a higher cost of living than Salem, primarily due to housing. Historically, Corvallis has been very anti-growth. There is more growth allowed now, but past behaviors have created a very high cost of housing. That said, Corvallis is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

I live in Salem and it's a cultural and culinary wasteland. My friends are here, cost of living is lower, etc. My job, however, is in Tualatin.

It is true that income taxes are much higher here, but you get much of that back if you itemize, right? Tax-wise, I think it's a wash no matter where you live unless its New York or Taxachusetts.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 AM

24 posts, read 114,010 times
A corrections job would probably be in Salem. There is a rural area, between Salem and Albany. The city is called Jefferson. Its within minutes of either city. I know where there is a great house with views for under $400,000. 3 bedroom, 2 .5 bath, 1.80 acres. Lots of oaks. Visit by the local deer family. Most of it has been redone-granite kitchen counter top, decks, stainless steel appliances, heat pump. Partially fenced for animals, has 2 pymgy goats. Plus mini barn 10' x 12' and chicken coop. Check out the MLS #594411

Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

378 posts, read 1,569,917 times
I hate to be negative, but Jefferson is notorious for having a very poor school system. Avoid Jefferson if you will be having kids in the school system! We lived on acreage near Jefferson and it is very pretty there with the rolling hills and mint fields, and there are real estate bargains to be had for sure, but the town itself is awful (you feel like you are in a ghetto). We ended up moving back to Salem so our kids could go to Salem schools.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 PM

24 posts, read 114,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
I hate to be negative, but Jefferson is notorious for having a very poor school system. Avoid Jefferson if you will be having kids in the school system! We lived on acreage near Jefferson and it is very pretty there with the rolling hills and mint fields, and there are real estate bargains to be had for sure, but the town itself is awful (you feel like you are in a ghetto). We ended up moving back to Salem so our kids could go to Salem schools.
Not sure when you were in Jefferson last. We now have a nice Mexican Restaurant that has sister location in Salem. The local grocery store was totally redone and has sales like large markets. Nice feed store if you have animals. Nice bank and post office. It's rural, you don't expect to see Targets and McDonalds. That why people move there. But yet if they do need something not local, they can go to Albany and Salem within minutes. A town of less than 2000. The schools. The locals take great pride in school events. Probably a larger percentage than a larger city. Jefferson also has lower property taxes than Salem. One has to way what is most important to them. You obviously are more of a big city person. So good luck to you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon