Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 PM

12 posts, read 62,856 times

Advertisements

Lebanon, hmm?
From YOUR site - Seems like it might be a more "fun" place than say Oakland, CA
- especially if you're a cop.

Reminds me of some old Edward Abbey writings - where from a hard day of cattle chasing, he goes to The local mining town bar, sees a typical-s' truck "Support our troops!" in the parking lot - & then ties on a FRN dollar boutonnière on the wiper. And writes on the wind shield: "Have the greedy banksters, CEO's & politicians destroyed your Job, Killed your Kid & got your House YET! ?"
There now, Shall we go in?
Hah "Live Dangerously!" I say!

And - so HoWs ju'you like YouR Bud sir?
Usual, w/ double shot o Jack & a single meth chaser, please.

RememberNowJustHavingSomeFunnOk @ www.//
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,731 times
Its not my site.
Lebanon can be cool but also it can be a drag.

Last edited by Hobbes12; 02-27-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
I live in Scotts Mills near Silverton and it pretty well fits all the bill you want. It has just about the best art in the park show in August I've seen. Storybook downtown has a really Kool Mayor Stu Rasmusson (Who happehs to be the first openly cross dressing mayor) Big box stores 20 miles away in salem if you like that stuff. Go into the kinda hip kinda funky coffee shop and wine tasting on Water across from the Palace 1940 theatere still run by the mayor. Folks of all ages and stripes live there. Take 213 Cascade Highway from Portland neat little villages along the way. Be shure to check out the 1876 Marquam Store and art glass studio in a 1940 Art Deco building, that has just been restored and a popular resturant called "The MarKum Inn. There's a great poetry group in Silverton and the Grange is doing green garden stuff. Excellent Earth Day at the Oregon Garden in Silverton. There's also rock hounding in the creeks. Check this place out plus 7 miles away in Mt.Angel is a huge library with thousands of books on history and everthing else including illuminated manuscripes and part of a Guttenburg Bible. They also have a great Oktoberfest in Sept.

Last edited by QuakerJerry; 03-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: mis spelloin

Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM

50 posts, read 150,007 times
Hood River or Prineville C Oregon is high desert but sunny 300 days/yr!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 PM

9 posts, read 88,038 times
tillamook ,the count fair, 4 h ,cows and more cows not too bad with tourist.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I wood say Grants Pass...most folks thar are frenly. that is whar i buys my vittles. fer over 4 lustrums i've lived way back in the mountains................................... ................we Love It

Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I wood say Grants Pass...most folks thar are frenly. that is whar i buys my vittles. fer over 4 lustrums i've lived way back in the mountains................................... ................we Love It
lustrums, huh?

Sounds like someone's been watching Rooster Cogburn on DVD again.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Silverton or Stayton would work.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 35,434 times
Default Try Enterprise!

You might consider Enterprise in NE Oregon. There are only 7,000 souls in Wallowa County, so community is very important to the residents. Everyone knows everyone else, but in a good way: people are there if you need them but not overly "in your business". Folks are independent, but yet rely on each other. There's lots of National Forest for hiking and water for water sports. There is only one "box store", and that is Safeway (a grocery store). There's a small, caring, brand new hospital built about 7 years ago. The economy there has really suffered in recent years, and some businesses have closed, but the other things you were looking for are surely here. You won't find a safer place to live in the entire country. Others who have posted have suggested places in the Willamette Valley, which is heavily populated. There are small towns in the Valley, but you are always in proximity of a larger population center. Wallowa County (where Enterprise is located), is very remote, and can only be accessed by three roads (one is closed in the winter), and the other two are very small, twisty, mountainous roads. No interstate highway within 75 miles. The nearest "big" city is 25,000 people and 90 minutes away. You'll find all walks of life and political persuasions here. The isolation gets to some people, but you might like it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon