Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 35,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Where in Oregon are you?

We get over 200 sunny nice days a yr. in Grants Pass.....

freedom
I apologize Freedom. I live in the Willamette Valley area now -- east of Salem. I forget that Oregon is much, much larger than just the Valley. Unfortunately, I am like the Natives on some details, I lumped the term Oregon into just the NW corner -- sorry. As I am sure you know, Grants Pass is very different from our corner. You are in a much nicer climate for us native SOCAL people.

Oregonbeachlover, I noticed that you are from Lincoln City. My Aunt used to live there and I spent many of my summers as a child there. I have only been there about three times since they built the outlet mall -- what a horrible thing to do to such a wonderful place. The last time I was there I was so disgusted, for the first time I really started to realize why Oregonians do not want Californians here changing their state. I used to really enjoy shopping in those quaint stores on the west side of 101 by the Nelscott area. Last time I was there everything was MADE IN CHINA and really cheap looking, sad... If you are familiar with Salem, you might notice a striking resemblence between Lincoln City and Lancaster Dr. Btw, the water coming out at Roads End Park really is partial sewer water -- just thought you would like to know.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
I still live 1/2 time in Salem, so am familiar with the trials of the Lancaster Drive area. No, I do not recognize any resemblance between Lancaster Drive and LC. Yes, lots of the touristy trinkets sold in gift shops are made in China. Are you saying that is only true in Lincoln City gift shops? One can find all kinds of things, including locally made. A big draw to Lincoln City are the hand-blown artisan glass floats. I would say that might be the biggest draw, as many people come to LC just to walk the beaches to find one of those jewels. Each one is unique and gorgeous.

Personally, I am not into the outlet mall much anymore, but I used to love to find back to school bargains there for my kids, so I understand why people love outlet malls. The one in LC is nice and clean and has some fun sidewalk sales and wonderful free concerts during the holidays too.

You say partial sewer water runs in the beach stream in the Roads End park area? Where did you get that information? My dogs have been drinking from that stream for years and have never shown any ill effects.

I am sorry that you do not care for LC., but some of us love it.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover
Merkin, why do you even bother to post on this forum?

Merkin, I do not appreciate you calling me a liar. Of course I wear sunglasses at some point during all 12 months here in Oregon. Each of the 12 months will have some sunny days. Of course I wore sunglasses yesterday. It was sunny and short-sleeve weather at the beach. Are those the questions you said you wanted me to answer?

No, I have no "dog in the hunt" as far as wanting people to move to Oregon. I work in graphic arts. I just do not understand your hostility towards any of us who LOVE Oregon. Why do you live in a place when you have such animosity and appear so unhappy? There are other states in which to live.

I am originally from Chicago, but lived in California through college. My husband is a native Californian. We have lived in Oregon for decades now and each of us has said we never had one minute of regret, nor one thought of ever wanting to go back. In fact, when we go back to California, we can hardly wait to get back home to Oregon. As far as any negativity here in Oregon towards anyone originally from California, I do not believe that really exists anymore (I think it might have been that way back in the 70's). Now, most people are transplants. Merkin, perhaps your troubles might be the way people react to you personally, as you reap what you sow. Both my husband and I have met all kinds of people through the years and nobody cared that we came from California...that holds true whether it be other transplants or native Oregonians. All people care about is what kind of a person you are.

I am not a liar and I am more than willing to answer any of your questions.
You asked why I commented here. I responded because people lie -- now if you want to wear that shoe, it is on you.
My questions to you were relating to your motives behind recruiting -- which subsequently lead to your profession. I admit, I really placed stock in you being in real estate.
I am glad that people treat you with respect as a Native Californian. When I discuss my frustrations in the very anti-Californian sentiment, it is usually in regards to business. In my personal life and with friends, people are very nice, I would not say that being from California has anything to do with it. But the instant I open my mouth for anything relating to change, politics or just opinions, I do get the whole " Californian" reply. I do not see that my opinions should be viewed as "just another Californian". Go to your town hall meetings (well maybe not those in Lincoln City) and you will see what I mean. In our little town that we live in now (pop. 10,000), my husband and I played the whole Native Oregon Card and life was pretty good. We were able to get funding for a traffic light and were able to set up a well on our property with very little hassle. But, it soon got out, through some business, that we were originally from California and overnight things changed. We were soon looked at as if we were just like every other Cali coming here to change this place for the worse. In our personal lives our friends have remained our friends but there is a definite change.

As far as you comment about the whole "..ended in the 70's.." I am glad you see it and experience it that way -- I don't. I wish it were that way, but it is not. I, to the chagrin of my husband, liken it to racism. I feel that I am being treated unfairly (mostly in business) because of my Cali roots. Secondly, just because you don't see it, does that mean it does not happen or is happening?

Lastly, why do you have such a problem with me speaking the truth? Do you think it is unfair of me to tell my side? I believe that everyone considering such a change should be ready for all contingencies.

~M

Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM

Merkin posted: "You asked why I commented here. I responded because people lie -- now if you want to wear that shoe, it is on you."

Merkin, my only issue with you is that in a couple of your prior postings, you called me a liar. I do not understand your resentment of anyone who LOVES it here. What shoe? I am confused as to what you want?

All I am is a simple gal who thinks that Oregon (entire Pacific Northwest really) is paradise and I thank God everyday that I have such a blessing as to be able to live here. I would not trade my simple Oregon beach life for any other place on the entire face of the earth!!!

My husband has been in valley businesses for years. We have also been involved in small town politics, and it absolutely SUCKED! But, nowhere, at any time, in decades, has the issue of our being ex-Californians ever come into play. Nobody cared, and many of us are transplants from all over anyway.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
Merkin posted: "You asked why I commented here. I responded because people lie -- now if you want to wear that shoe, it is on you."

Merkin, my only issue with you is that in a couple of your prior postings, you called me a liar. I do not understand your resentment of anyone who LOVES it here. What shoe? I am confused as to what you want?

All I am is a simple gal who thinks that Oregon (entire Pacific Northwest really) is paradise and I thank God everyday that I have such a blessing as to be able to live here. I would not trade my simple Oregon beach life for any other place on the entire face of the earth!!!

My husband has been in valley businesses for years. We have also been involved in small town politics, and it absolutely SUCKED! But, nowhere, at any time, in decades, has the issue of our being ex-Californians ever come into play. Nobody cared, and many of us are transplants from all over anyway.
I think you are getting yourself confused. Let me clear things up. First, I have not called you a liar, ever, re-read my posts and you will see. Second, the term "if the shoe fits" is about a very common saying used in America, sorry to confuse. Thirdly, I am very glad you like Oregon, I have not tried to put you down for what you believe, or what your opinions might be. I have simply stated my personal experiences, sorry that they are not all full of roses (again, an old American saying). Fourthly, you live in Lincoln City, and as such, I am sure if you were to find some true old-timers, I am sure you would hear about a different Lincoln City. I can tell you from first hand, it is _not_ the quaint and beautiful town I remember -- sorry if the truth in my opinion offends you.

My comments about the sewage are good in nature. My aunt used to live up on the hill above the that beach (N. past Safeway, don't follow the left curve - stay north follow it to the right (past the old look out now surrounded by houses) now you should be traveling east. Eventually on that road you will see an old water tank (green on your right) and just east of the tank you will see (maybe) an old tennis court -- that and the land were hers), she used to date the old public works guy (when LC was "small" pop. ~2500), he told her not to let us kids play in runoff there because it was "dangerous". I later found that it is pretty common for some coastal towns to let some of their sewage and rain runoff "co-mingle", and therefor there is always a touch of sewage in the runoff you get there.

Have you ever thought that the reason LC is so great for you is because it is the most newly developed coastal town in Oregon? Go to Newport and tell them you are from California and thinking of moving there and see how they react -- just an idea to help you expand your opinion.

Again, I am glad you like Oregon. I would, I think, if it were not for the weather, the "native Oregonians", the rain, the clouds, the boredom, the rampant ignorance, Seasonal Affective Disorder, the trapped feeling, and did I mention the rain and clouds?

This is my opinion, and I would move (had we not trapped ourselves), but more importantly, I not trying to talk people into moving here -- especially if they might have an experience like mine. Think about it, if I were living in SOCAL right now and considering a move to Oregon, do you think it would be better for me and those around me to read _only_ your posts or ones similar to mine?

~M

Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Merkin, I am truly sorry that you are such an unhappy person. I hope that you will be able to move back to southern Cal. if that is what you really love.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:11 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
hey...whats wrong with us "native Oregonians"?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Merkin: I sure wish you'd leave Oregon and post somewhere else.

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-22-2008 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: no flames

Old 08-23-2008, 12:29 PM

101 posts, read 283,552 times
Why is everyone so down on Merkin? I appreciate her comments and EVERYONES comments! I am a native southern Californian that has been considering moving to Jacksonville, mostly because my favorite pastor is there in the area. I love southern CA, but I am not so sure I would love predominantly rainy cloudy weather.

I personally view someone like Merkin as someone that wants others to benefit from her experiences. Southern CA is not all a bed of roses either, and sorry but I would discourage people from relocating here because we are so horribly overcrowded, and I can understand why Oregonians do not want the masses there. It DOES bring more crime and undesirables for sure. You will get both good and bad.

Anyway, again, I appreciate everyones comments, and all help me to avoid a potentially costly mistake that may be expensive for me to reverse.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
One of my best friends, born, raised, married in SoCal.
Then, due to jobs, she, her husband, and their kids moved here to Oregon.(bout 10yrs ago) Luckily for me, right next door to me!
They fit right in, found jobs just fine, made plenty of friends and love it here. Had the option to move back a few years back and said "ABSOLUTELY NO!!!"
much of your experience is going to be how you look at it, treat others, view your move. If youre expecting sunshine and clear blue skies 9months of the year, with maybe 3 or four days every 3 months of rain, you wont be happy here. If you go about telling people how wonderful So. Cal is and how much Oregon sucks in comparision, youre not gonna make a lot of friends. If spending the day surfing in shorts, laying on the beach, or doing Disneyland every weekend, you'll probably be bored here. But, if you like to hike/bike/fish/swim/rockclimb/boating/ski/etc. you'll probably be happy.
Im several genarations native Oregonian, and I'll admit it now, besides my cliffside beach hikes, Im really not an outdoor person. When living in the Portland area, I could spend much happy time shopping, even if it was just wishful shopping. Theres some lovely shopping around here!!!
If it rained here as much as some people say, all our beautiful flowers/trees/shrubs/etc. would be washed away....we'd be living in a huge mud pit. Ya, it does rain here more than it does in SoCal. But come on, we're not under some gray dark cloud for 9months. We'd all die. Or look like the creature out of that movie, "The Decent". lol
truly, if you dearly love So. Cal, then Oregon is probably not the place for you. No big deal. No harm, no foul.
But for some, boy is it terrific living here.
Tiffany (one of the MANY friendly native Oregonians. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon