Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM

24 posts, read 67,904 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the process of relocating our family. We have put Oregon at the top of the list. Specifically, the Northern Coastal area. The main reason is to enjoy outdoor fun. We have that here, but really like the ability to hike a few miles to an alpine lake or stream and enjoy the peace and quiet. Around here, that is not the case. It seems once you get to a quite area, you are disturbed by OHV's or motor bikers. I would not mind it so much, but it seems of late, they are getting louder. Must be my aging ears

The questions I have are:

- What area of the state are there hiking trails with no vehicle access
- Is there a coastal area that year round ventures can be had
- Is there a small town out there that embraces newcomers
- My children are home schooled, but proximity to heath care is an influence to my decision.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:52 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Most of our trails are closed to motor bikes. They have other areas that are designated for them. You won't find Alpine Lakes at the coast.

There are some great long hikes in the Mt. Hood National Forest. Why don't you look at Sandy, OR?

If you want to be on the coast, Manzanita has some great hiking near by (no Alpine Lakes), but proximity to health care is an issue.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the input. Alpine lakes are not a top priority, but getting away from the main crowds is.

I will look at Sandy.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Actually, the coast area is the best in my opinion for hiking trails. They tend to be shorter and more rugged then interior trails do. Saddle Mountain which is on highway 26 about 17 miles East of Seaside is probably the highest trail on the coast, and the views are well worth it.

There are some good trails down around Hebo Lake, and further south you have the entire Oregon Dunes area.

Another good choice is the Columbia Gorge. There is something like 200 miles of trails up and around all the waterfalls and Larch Mountain area. Plus the added benefit there is that it's no OHV at all, although you may have to contend with a few mountain bikes.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Actually, the coast area is the best in my opinion for hiking trails. They tend to be shorter and more rugged then interior trails do. Saddle Mountain which is on highway 26 about 17 miles East of Seaside is probably the highest trail on the coast, and the views are well worth it.

There are some good trails down around Hebo Lake, and further south you have the entire Oregon Dunes area.

Another good choice is the Columbia Gorge. There is something like 200 miles of trails up and around all the waterfalls and Larch Mountain area. Plus the added benefit there is that it's no OHV at all, although you may have to contend with a few mountain bikes.
Thanks for the info. I can deal with MTB'ers

Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalHiker View Post
Hello,

The questions I have are:

- What area of the state are there hiking trails with no vehicle access
- Is there a coastal area that year round ventures can be had
- Is there a small town out there that embraces newcomers
- My children are home schooled, but proximity to heath care is an influence to my decision.

TIA
1. The entire coastal area is ideal for hiking trails. (both the coast and coastal mtn. range)

2. Yes, if you don't mind the rain. and cold in the winter months. (and snow in the mountains)

3. Yes, but your own attitude is the biggest factor as to how you'll be accepted.

4. Basic health care exists but don't count on anything specialized.

Are you retired or self sufficient? Don't count on any employment!!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Hi Dave,

I agree with you on point number three. I am not concerned with a hospital down the street, but within a hours or so drive. I am a unemployed teacher. Got the pink slip this spring. We are not financial wealthy, but we can and will work for minimum wage. Not to proud for a better way of life. The weather is not a factor either.

Thanks for your input

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Hi Dave,

I agree with you on point number three. I am not concerned with a hospital down the street, but within a hours or so drive. I am a unemployed teacher. Got the pink slip this spring. We are not financial wealthy, but we can and will work for minimum wage. Not to proud for a better way of life. The weather is not a factor either.

Thanks for your input
Portland has some excellent medical facilities.

Maybe look at something in between Portland and the coast such as Banks or Forest Grove.

However don't assume minimum wage full time jobs are available. Sorry but that's the current reality here unless you have connections.

We recently went to hire 3 engineers with very unique qualifications for only a 6 month assignment and got well over 300 applications. The job climate here is brutal!!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your input
Be prepared to be an unemployed teacher here as well. Schools are cutting back and laying off. Please, please, please do NOT count on minimum wage jobs. They are the most impossible to find. Too many people have come here with the same idea only to find they are competing with hundreds of students, older retirees who are forced to return to work due to the thousands of people laid off due to the horrible economic situation in Oregon. Everyone who comes here thinking those jobs are available.

Take a look at Craig's List or the Oregon Live employment section. Google employment agencies, look at Company websites to see what is available. It appears the only job openings are for highly skilled, technical or professional people. And then the competition is very heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon