Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,657 times

Advertisements

Maybe it would be less irritating if it wasn't stated as blanket fact that living on the coast is not living in the "real world"...when that is just someone's subjective opinion...not too helpful to the OP who probably was looking for some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
No one is insulting the coast for what it is, we're just clarifiying what it might mean for a young person to begin a new life in one of the towns. Much as I love visiting the coast every year, I wouldn't advise a young person to move there with hopes of finding a job and a social life. It's not an insult to call it as we see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times
i hear ya, Obeachlvr. I love visiting the Oregon coast but as a non-coastal resident, probably don't qualify as a great source of information. I can only talk about what prevents us from moving there. As a lone 24-year old, it might not be so easy to make friends. Unemployment rates are pretty high, so finding a job might be tricky too. And the weather. One must be prepared for Oregon beaches, which are wayyyyyyyy different from California beaches. Not not necessarily in a bad way, just different.

I'm a fan. We're heading back for one more five-day trip in mid-September and are thinking of a last one in October. Living there? I'd have to think very long and very hard before going that far.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
i hear ya, Obeachlvr. I love visiting the Oregon coast but as a non-coastal resident, probably don't qualify as a great source of information. I can only talk about what prevents us from moving there. As a lone 24-year old, it might not be so easy to make friends. Unemployment rates are pretty high, so finding a job might be tricky too. And the weather. One must be prepared for Oregon beaches, which are wayyyyyyyy different from California beaches. Not not necessarily in a bad way, just different.

I'm a fan. We're heading back for one more five-day trip in mid-September and are thinking of a last one in October. Living there? I'd have to think very long and very hard before going that far.
Definitely living on the Oregon coast is NOT for everyone...even though it is still living in the "real world". If a person does not "get it", then it is not meant for them. Leave the living on the Oregon coast for those of us who do "get it" and know what we have. Good, I'm glad you're coming to visit, Ex NooYawk, we need more tourism as that does impact businesses, hence jobs. I hope you have lots of fun!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:

We lived in Oregon, moved for opportunity, left family behind.
Many,many who have experienced living or spending much time coastal, will agree with your post.
My family lives on the coast still(north and southern coast) and they are still struggeling whether to stay. The weather, the jobs, the schools, the opportunities,the outlook for the future- it takes its toll. The teens are having a tough time now.All they talk about is moving to Portland or---- California . They are "hiked out".( a quote) They want to experience alot more from life. Want more then working at a hotel or chowder restaraunt, or being a phone soliciter.And if you have serious health issues or accident, prepare to travel far. We had a nightmare scenerio with a nephew who eventually had to move to Salem.
Yes, the scenery is beautiful. You can walk and walk and walk and walk on the lovely beach and no one is there. Lovely views, but You cant eat it. It doesnt pay bills. And there is that rain thing. We have been there 4th of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, October and this year,May/June and the weather has always been the same.
So, I hear you. We love our visits, but the more we go, year after year to visit,the more we realize its a great place to visit.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Many,many who have experienced living or spending much time coastal, will agree with your post.
My family lives on the coast still(north and southern coast) and they are still struggeling whether to stay. The weather, the jobs, the schools, the opportunities,the outlook for the future- it takes its toll. The teens are having a tough time now.All they talk about is moving to Portland or---- California . They are "hiked out".( a quote) They want to experience alot more from life. Want more then working at a hotel or chowder restaraunt, or being a phone soliciter.And if you have serious health issues or accident, prepare to travel far. We had a nightmare scenerio with a nephew who eventually had to move to Salem.
Yes, the scenery is beautiful. You can walk and walk and walk and walk on the lovely beach and no one is there. Lovely views, but You cant eat it. It doesnt pay bills. And there is that rain thing. We have been there 4th of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, October and this year,May/June and the weather has always been the same.
So, I hear you. We love our visits, but the more we go, year after year to visit,the more we realize its a great place to visit.
Again I say that if you don't "get it", then you aren't meant to. There are pros and cons of living anywhere, so it really depends on what your heart and soul want.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
One must be prepared for Oregon beaches, which are wayyyyyyyy different from California beaches. Not not necessarily in a bad way, just different.
I think they're very similar to NORTHERN California beaches...cold water, rocky coasts, cloudy, and windy. SOUTHERN California beaches are a totally different animal...not all of California has beaches like the ones on Baywatch.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
Ive lived here since I was in my 20s, and my only regret, is not moving here before......
My grass has all died because its been so long since rain....I also have a sunburn..darn it. Our pool has been up for a few months, and will still be in use for a few months more. We've been in it (and NOT cold/rainy) in October.
My youngest had a life-threatening kidney issue and the Dr here was beyond fabulous and not only saved her life, (with out having to travel with her) but renewed my faith in people.....
We have some out of the box stuff for the younger crowd. Nationally ranked gymnasts, tennis players, and dancers. Childrens theater and swing dance classes. Artists who's work have gone on nationally, a very popular teen club downtown.
My husband and I both have jobs where we're making more than we were in the Clackamas area. Better bennies too.
Yeah, its not for everyone. Certainly not. My mom could NEVER live here. She's very very happy settled just outside LaPine.....me? I could NEVER live in LaPine. Do I think its beautiful? Oh yes! But not my cup of tea! Just as she feels (and others of course) about living at the beach.
For some, its misery..for others, pure bliss.
Come visit before you move. no matter where you go.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Yes, a person needs to visit any area before making any commitment as to living there. I believe that if you let yourself feel, you will know whether it is for you or not. As an example, here's what I realized: We lived in and around Salem for years. We lived out in the country where all we could see were rolling hills, trees, unlimited shades of green, and absolute beauty everywhere we looked. I never felt totally happy or peaceful. We would have people visit us and they would say "I would give anything to live here" (especially people from California ). But, every time we visited the coast, I would feel a deep sadness when we left. I remember one time I felt it so strongly that I felt like crying (and I knew I would be back). It did not matter whether it was raining or sunny, I never wanted to leave . So, I realized that was my true happiness...living on the beach. We've had our house on the beach for over 7 years now, and I STILL feel the exact same way!!! I LOVE living here!!! I LOVE the smells, the sound of the surf (which I get to hear going to sleep and waking up), the sounds of the birds, the glorious water when it sparkles or the gray churning when it is stormy. I go to Sun River or Bend and I see all the beauty around. I do think it is spectacular. I can understand why some people would think it was heaven, but it isn't "my heaven". So, when the arrogance of some people who put their subjective judgement and/or exaggerations out there as truth, it bothers me. That is why I think all of us can put our experiences and thoughts out there, but, really, it is up to each and every person to find their own heart's desire.

P.S. I have been having to water my plants almost daily for several months now.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
So, when the arrogance of some people who put their subjective judgement and/or exaggerations out there as truth, it bothers me. That is why I think all of us can put our experiences and thoughts out there, but, really, it is up to each and every person to find their own heart's desire.
We all do put our thoughts and experiences out there on this forum. Subjective judgements. Where does the "arrogance" come in ?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
also posted by Nanannie: We all do put our thoughts and experiences out there on this forum. Subjective judgements. Where does the "arrogance" come in ?

So, to answer you...

In your last post on this thread, I would say that starting out with "many,many etc., will agree, etc." and stating it as fact, when it is not, as you could never prove it, becomes exaggeration. Also, saying the weather is the same for 4th of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, October, May and June is another. I LIVE here (do you?), so I know the weather is very changeable and never stays the same...many times not even in a day. Another posting on this thread showed arrogance implying that living on the coast is somehow not "living in the real world".

I'm not trying to argue, but there are a couple of posters on this forum who do exaggerate and sometimes appear arrogant in their postings when they make blanket judgment calls and state them as facts. I don't think that helps people who are truly here to learn about Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon