Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

We just returned from a wonderful week in Fl. We started our trip in Miami and loved every humid minute of it. Ended up in Orlando to visit D.W and Sea World. Having just flown over the gulf and seeing the oil spill from the plane I had a hard time getting through the Whale and Dolfin show. I was the only one in the crowd with tears streaming down my face. We love you Florida and will pray for our beautiful coastline and the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM

193 posts, read 624,063 times
Thank You MotleyCrew. Poor sea creatures ... and we are the intelligent species. Makes me sick the whole fiasco. It has already had devastating effects on tourism along the west coast beaches, even though the oil hasn't reached all of them.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Thanks Motley. This whole situation is really affecting a lot of people's way of life, not to mention the sea creatures.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Motley, thanks so much for taking the time to post.
The tragedy unfolding in the Gulf is hard for me to even think about.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Guess if we stop buying gas cars we can put an end to the excessive use of oil. This is a horrific thing to happen and isnt the only one. why not invest in turning the world green?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Guess if we stop buying gas cars we can put an end to the excessive use of oil. This is a horrific thing to happen and isnt the only one. why not invest in turning the world green?
It's not just gas. In fact most oil is used to make plastics. We need to recycle more and go back to reusable glass for many items. And we really, really, really need to get away from bottled water. I have a BPA free water bottle that I fill with filtered ice water each time I leave the house. It's not only saved hundreds of empty plastic bottles a year but also it's saved me a ton of money.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's not just gas. In fact most oil is used to make plastics. We need to recycle more and go back to reusable glass for many items. And we really, really, really need to get away from bottled water. I have a BPA free water bottle that I fill with filtered ice water each time I leave the house. It's not only saved hundreds of empty plastic bottles a year but also it's saved me a ton of money.
Exactly. We need to use OUR PURCHASING POWER TO FORCE COMPANIES GREEN

Aone...why not INVEST in turning to green energy? We have invested...lots of companies have...

Example..."Who Killed the Electric Car" - The GM electric car that was scrapped. The media will have you believe it was thrown away due to government influence and Big Oil, however there are other schools of thought that people just didn't want to buy a car that was too expensive, could not go more than 60 miles without plugging it in, and the cost - GM spent, over 4 years an estimated 1 billion dollars to make 800 units , so the average cost per car is $1,250,000 - can you afford that for a 2 seater coupe? I can't. The truth being that it was the runner up for future generation electric cars. You can now get the Chevy Volt...a next genereation EV1 hybrid electric car...go over your 40 hour battery life and you run on gas power...still need that oil tho!

It is going to take many many years to get off the oil...Had the tree huggers not made it such a crime to use nuclear power plants, we would not need so much today, however. If the tree huggers would stop saying, well,...we need secondary power , like wind farms....oh, but hey...I don't want to see it from my Nantucket home (Ted Kennedy, cough cough) we would have some of those built by now. It's the same old story...build it...but not in my back yard, make it...but not where it will harm the environment....I welcome some suggestions !!! (not from the forums...but from the blowhards who have all the answers....ya know!) I get so annoyed!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:34 AM

I've always wondered why they didn't install a wind farm on one of the ridges in the Sugarloaf area in Lake County. There is a constant breeze here.

I wish I could get milk in glass bottles. When we lived in Upstate NY, one of the local dairies sold milk in glass half gallon bottles. There was a 50 cent deposit that you got back when you returned the bottle. They even sold these metal carriers to make transporting them easier.

I try to do my part--I've switched to loose tea so I don't have the trash from teabags. The loose tea I just dump down the disposal. Considering I make enough tea to go through six tea bags a day, after a month it really adds up.

I also have a Barnies travel mug, so when I stop for coffee a couple times a week I can just refill my mug instead of using paper and plastic.

If everyone made just a few small changes like that, it would make a world of difference.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:49 PM

200 posts, read 538,518 times
Glad you had a good time. Miami is beautiful. I'd love to do a Carnival cruise from there.

Maybe one day they'll have the high-speed rail finished and hopefully it will go straight from Disney to the Carnival dock in Miami.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I wish I could get milk in glass bottles. When we lived in Upstate NY, one of the local dairies sold milk in glass half gallon bottles. There was a 50 cent deposit that you got back when you returned the bottle. They even sold these metal carriers to make transporting them easier.
Byrne Dairy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: