Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times

Advertisements

The winters in Orlando are unpredictable because we are just north of a climate zone change. It is generally mild with highs ranging from 60-70, sometimes warmer. December is generally not too cool. It is generally coolest in January to March. We generally have 1-2 days where it gets below freezing overnight. Last winter was torturous. I cannot recall how cool it was, but it was horrible and it was cold for almost all of January and many plants died and it was below freezing a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
I don't know about you two who say it felt colder here than up north...lol!!!

I never once put on anything more than a light sweatshirt , even on the coldest of days here last winter Up north...I could not get out of my winter coat!

Winters here are much more tolerable than up north because you know the sun is coming to warm it allllll up!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I do agree that when the temp drops here it feels so much colder for some reason. I experienced multiple New England winters where the temps regularly fell into the 30's and below but it still felt tolerable. Here when the temp gets into the 30's it's bonechilling and almost unbearable. Maybe because it's usually such a drastic change, 65 the day before, than 30's the next day.

I must say though that I really enjoyed last winter. Actually felt like a real change of seasons. I only wished that it had happened earlier during the Holiday season instead of Jan-Mar.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Davie,

Have you been in Vegas in the winter? It gets cold--colder than Orlando.

By the way, have you looked into p/t employment with the NPS? I hear they are looking for seasonal help still at several locations in your area.
Im aware of the average temperatures here in the winter, but I have not been here for winter yet. But I do realize it gets MUCH colder than Orlando. Not something I'm looking forward to. Being originally from Connecticut, I can deal with it

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I don't know about you two who say it felt colder here than up north...lol!!!

I never once put on anything more than a light sweatshirt , even on the coldest of days here last winter Up north...I could not get out of my winter coat!

Winters here are much more tolerable than up north because you know the sun is coming to warm it allllll up!
Then again it was your first winter here after living in PA. The longer you live in Florida and get used to the warmer climate, the colder the winters will feel. Maybe next winter or the winter after, you will be wearing more than a light sweater on the coldest days. But that's just my theory.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Maybe there's something in the air that makes FL just seem colder at those temperatures. When I'm in NY I can go outside in the 40's and 50's in a sweater. When I'm in FL it seems like it's freezing when it's that cold. I don't know what it is.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
I lived in Atlanta for 12 years and I can tell you the winters here are nothing compared to the ones up there. There is a 1,000 foot difference in altitude...people don't realize how cold it gets up there. Atlanta can also get very humid in the winter, contributing to the cold. Not only that, it is rainy almost all winter. It is generally miserable. I much prefer winter here, but last season it was cold a bit too often for my taste. The first winter I spent here was awesome.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Maybe there's something in the air that makes FL just seem colder at those temperatures. When I'm in NY I can go outside in the 40's and 50's in a sweater. When I'm in FL it seems like it's freezing when it's that cold. I don't know what it is.
Humidity and wind.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Then again it was your first winter here after living in PA. The longer you live in Florida and get used to the warmer climate, the colder the winters will feel. Maybe next winter or the winter after, you will be wearing more than a light sweater on the coldest days. But that's just my theory.
That is the truth. After my one year break in the upstate of SC, I came back thinking even this past winter wasn't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Humidity, even though it's lower in the winters, it still affects us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 12 years and I can tell you the winters here are nothing compared to the ones up there. There is a 1,000 foot difference in altitude...people don't realize how cold it gets there. Atlanta can also get very humid in the winter, contributing to the cold. Not only that, it is rainy almost all winter. It is generally miserable. I much prefer winter here, but last season it was cold a bit too often for my taste. The first winter I spent here was awesome.
Exactly. I was in Spartanburg, SC which is a piedmont/foothills town and it snowed twice while I was there. It was very cold from October till March and I would never go back to that. Give me 70-80 in the winter with an occasional cold snap here and there.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I do agree that when the temp drops here it feels so much colder for some reason. I experienced multiple New England winters where the temps regularly fell into the 30's and below but it still felt tolerable. Here when the temp gets into the 30's it's bonechilling and almost unbearable. Maybe because it's usually such a drastic change, 65 the day before, than 30's the next day.

I must say though that I really enjoyed last winter. Actually felt like a real change of seasons. I only wished that it had happened earlier during the Holiday season instead of Jan-Mar.
I have to say I enjoyed this past winter also. I don't care for cold, but it didn't bother me one bit. I wish every year here would be like that, but start in December. It's nice for the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando