Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyykell View Post
Yes I totally agree that everything seems brighter and the clouds seem different in FL.. You just feel alive as soon as you see the Florida border
Well, that's why it can be your new vacation spot now. You can come here and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 05:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
When I was in Tallahassee for college, I thought that city was very well manicured compared to my hometown of Columbia, SC. Then last month, I took a detour through Tallahassee on US 90 while on an I-10 trip. I haven't been there in 3 years. Tallahassee looks run down compared to Orlando. I guess that shows how bad areas of my hometown look...

Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,229 times
I agree that Orland is great. I've been to a lot of cities in this country and none compare to here. Orlando may not be perfect and the summers are brutal but it still beats just about anyplace else.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:34 PM

27 posts, read 174,228 times
I live in NE Fla. and I'm grateful for the appearances of this state. The live oaks, the palms, the tall pines, the savannahs, the rustic and the modern buildings, the diverse beaches and the diverse cultures. The highways are a priority for our govt, to be smooth and there are always good places for pit stops. Crossing causeways over the various Intercoastal ways all over the state. Having major league sports teams and being an international destination. I especially like to drive down 95, 4 or 75 and see the cars' tags from "up north" and think, "they have to go home soon.... but I am home"

Old 08-22-2010, 06:09 AM

189 posts, read 520,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpasa View Post
I live in NE Fla. and I'm grateful for the appearances of this state. The live oaks, the palms, the tall pines, the savannahs, the rustic and the modern buildings, the diverse beaches and the diverse cultures. The highways are a priority for our govt, to be smooth and there are always good places for pit stops. Crossing causeways over the various Intercoastal ways all over the state. Having major league sports teams and being an international destination. I especially like to drive down 95, 4 or 75 and see the cars' tags from "up north" and think, "they have to go home soon.... but I am home"
This post says it all & this is a GREAT THREAD! Hope to be one of the 'stayers' & not one of the 'leavers' soon! Oh! And I totally agree about how it feels just crossing the border & those BEAUTIFUL skies!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
The highways are smooth because you don't get serious freezing weather like up north. Potholes are caused by freeze/thaw cycles. If you want to see an actual clean, nice area try southern Orange County, CA or Fairfax County, VA. FL is a humid, gator-infested dump!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM

626 posts, read 976,797 times
You won't believe it, but I felt that same way when I went to Hawaii! Orlando has a lot more flowers and beautiful foilage than there. I liked Orlano better all the way around. Yes, I went to three islands.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 PM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
You're kidding? Hawaii has perpetually blooming flowers of all types, and dozens of native palm tree species, plus plenty of hardwood trees. Florida consists of sawgrass, palmettos, and pines.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM

288 posts, read 734,296 times
>If you want to see an actual clean, nice area try southern Orange County, CA or Fairfax County, VA. FL is a humid, gator-infested dump!

I totally disagree about Fairfax County, VA. First, it isn't humid up there? It's humid here but at least you can breathe. If you think bulldozers, cranes, and orange cones are pretty… the construction never ever ends up there. Been through Annandale lately? Now it is a well-known MS13 area and not clean. It USED to be nice. And then there's Falls Church and all of route 7 from the beltway east. How about Columbia Pike? That's clean and pretty?

There isn't much open space left in Fairfax County, almost every road is lined with wall to wall stalag-looking townhouses wedged in any way they could cram them. Try finding a single story home up there with a yard, good luck. Most of the forests that used to be there are gone. Now the only foliage left is what people plant and they eternally moan about deer nibbling on their plants, as they kill or push out any remaining wildlife. There used to be lots of blue jays up there, no more.

The roads are in terrible shape. Full of potholes and poor line markings. Have fun figuring out if you're even on the road especially when it rains and if you miss it you'll end up in a ditch because there are no shoulders to speak of.

Ever see a blue sky and pretty white clouds up there? In the summer you can't even cut through the pink-green haze that coats the place. There is always a pinky smog on the horizon with the scent of car exhaust always in the air. Construction vows to take down every last tree to wedge in even more tiny ugly townhouses, parking lots, and strip malls.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,241 times
I miss Orlando a bit in the winter time, but every place has its pros/cons.

Orlando can be a great place for some ppl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando