Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 AM

112 posts, read 244,012 times

Advertisements

Are any of you asthmatic, or have asthmatic children and have relocated to the Orlando area? How has the weather affected you or your children's asthma? I know that people have different triggers, and I am concerned of my daughter's health with our move to the area. Her main trigger is her allergies, and really cold weather (and we live in upstate New York- need I say more?). I'm just wondering how some of you have adapted to the climate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I have asthma and allergies, and although I'm only in Orlando during the summer and briefly during the winter, I feel fine here. I use the same medication I use when I'm in NYC, and as long as I have that my asthma stays under control. I think cold weather is a trigger for me too- walking through snowy conditions was particularly awful. It also depends on what she's allergic to. I was tested positive in NY for trees like elm and sycamore, which we don't have in FL. As long as she has medication, she'll probably be fine here

Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 AM

63 posts, read 155,973 times
We're further south in Boca Raton but since moving down from MA last sept. my daughter and I have had very,very little (me) to no (her) asthma symptoms.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
My allergies are much better here than in the midwest, home to ragweed

Here the oak trees get me in January otherwise I'm good

Cold will certainly not be your daughters trigger...

I suspect she will be much better off and maybe even free from her issues.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Six months after moving here I had a very bad asthmatic episode that required ongoing medical attention for several days. (Dr. wanted to hospitalize me)

Since then I've gotten a grip on a host of new allergies and as such have been able to manage the asthma and have only needed the paramedics once.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
I had awful asthma when we lived in Chicago, mainly in the winter months, used an inhaler at least 5 times a day and didn't leave home without it. We moved 4 years ago and I don't even HAVE an inhaler anymore..we did move to the gulf coast, but even in Orlando it's tolerable.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:25 PM

112 posts, read 244,012 times
Thank you all for the positive feedback :-) Her asthma has been good (knock on wood) since her allergies have been under control. She's allergic to the trees up here as well. I'm thinking we'll be just fine :-)

Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 AM

135 posts, read 439,477 times
I lived in NJ and had terrible allergies and asthma mainly to the cold weather but also I was allergic to all the trees and grass. We moved to Charlotte and the first few months were good but then the astma started because they also have the same type of trees and grass that NJ had. We moved to Orlando this past Spring and I have been doing excellent with my astma and allergies! Even with the heat of the summer and the humidity, its still not been bothering me at all The real test is like after a year, then you will realize if you have any allergens to the area. So I have another 6 -8 months to go and we will see if I'm going to have any problems but I am definitely doing better than Charlotte and much better than NJ! Hope this helps!

Norrodh

Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
My MIL had asthma. Hers was triggered every time she visited us in Florida to the point that she just did not come down from TN to see us. Every trip she ended up in emergency room when she was here. Of course she was older in her 50s and over weight so that factored in. She actualy died from an asthma attack that she had at home when she was 56.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Depending on what trees she is allergic to...there are Pine trees and Oak trees EVERYWHERE down here, and when they pollinate...it's worse than up north. I am from PA. I had to shut my house up tight, and run the AC in the nicest part of the year this past year my allergies and asthma got so bad this past year. Lucky for me my asthma is not too bad. I am still working on getting a good handle on it. It has been a year that I have been down here. I have to go for tests as I am not sure what my triggers are so I need to find that out at this point.

My daughter, on the other hand, had winter related allergies and is doing much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: