Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM

535 posts, read 1,412,067 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I've been looking for a job in Orlando since late June/early July and still can't find anything except one serving food behind a counter and cleaning... I left after about a month because I was not getting any breaks in a 6-7 hour shift during the last days I worked and the job was not what I expected. I'm trying to get a clerical/legal $10-$12 p/h job. I have an Associate's Degree and I'm currently getting my Bachelor's at UCF and still can't find anything in those areas. I'm about to get desperate, my rent bill is about to come, I have to collect money for the next semester in school and my bill are pilling up... I've been on interviews on law offices and a bank, I go dressed up in a conservative suit, subtle makeup and always carrying my neat folder with my resume and transcrips and nothing.... Anybody else in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM

288 posts, read 734,469 times
Yes… me. I'm in the exact same boat, looking for an uneventful office job, and not having any luck. I started looking about a year ago and it is getting real frustrating. My real estate taxes are coming up next month and I'm wondering where I'm going to get a couple grand to pay them, certainly not off the orange tree in my back yard, lol. So my taxes sure didn't go down along with the plummeting value of my house. I went to the 'governor's job fair' a couple months ago and that was a laugh. There were a couple thousand people there. The reason it was a laugh was that the employers there blew everyone off by telling them to go online to apply. Like we all haven't been doing that all along? I sweltered in there for an hour, saw the futility in it, and left. I already know I won't find anything that pays a livable wage here, but I have to find something, and soon. That, or apply for food stamps in the near future. What is really frustrating is that employers are wanting a degree from an accredited university, or certifications up the gazoo, all for $10 an hour? But I'm looking on the bright side - there won't be any snow to shovel or frost to scrape off my windshield this winter! No sitting for hours in gridlocked traffic, watching the snow accumulate by the minute. And then there is always the chance of my Powerball or Fantasy 5 numbers coming in...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,842 times
Hate to say it, but I would suggest you take the job behind a counter working 6-7 hours without a break.

I hate to seem insensitive, but many people's opinions of themselves need to change. If you are out of work, NOTHING is below you, and NOTHING pays too little or works you too hard. There are jobs out there, just take one and then look for something better while you are at least earning something.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 AM

You _are_ being insensitive and are obviously not in need of a job. Thank goodness for that. Nobody here said anything is beneath their dignity, nor does anyone need to re-visit their opinions of themselves. Yes, it is true that making any amount is better than making no amount. But is it? How is making a low wage going to help when it will take most of that to just get to the job and back? Take the average low-paid job in a call center. You get no breathing room between calls, you are graded, watched, criticized, have to clock in and out for each minute away from the phone, expected to make a sales quota, and better not think about using the restroom or getting a drink of water unless it's on your break. This is a borderline sweatshop operating in the United States, and typical of many jobs in this area. This is why most companies have moved their call centers to India, so they can get away with it.
Real estate taxes around here are outrageous and food and gasoline costs no less than it does in any other part of the country. While nothing is beneath anyone's dignity, it would be nice to find a job that pays enough so that one can pay his/her bills. I for one, have applied to more than 100 jobs, including Walgreens, CVS, Costco, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, the grocery stores, etc., with no luck. I question whether the job even exists in the first place. The rest of them are only part time so that they don't have to offer medical insurance. Now, how can you pay for medical insurance on $10 an hour, if you can even qualify for it on your own to start with. You think there are jobs out there that pay a livable wage and insurance? Sure, if you are a lawyer, CEO, doctor... Try finding one.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
You _are_ being insensitive and are obviously not in need of a job. Thank goodness for that. Nobody here said anything is beneath their dignity, nor does anyone need to re-visit their opinions of themselves.
Actually, the original poster quit a job after 1 month because they weren't given enough breaks and you just implied that you would turn down a part time job because it doesn't offer health insurance.

People need to take responsibility for themselves. Get any job, be an excellent employee, and try to get promoted. Compared to previous generations, we are a bunch of pathetic whiners.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM

238 posts, read 743,348 times
It's been my experience that if you "network" you'll have a better chance at finding a job. Most position are filled by referral from employees. Let your friends and extended family know that you are looking for a job. If you're in the area by yourself, then those jobs that you can get may be a step up or foot in the door for another position. Some of the advertised jobs are a formality as they already have someone in mind. All of the jobs I've had were not advertised. Have your resume updated, keep it to one page. The suit is an excellent idea. I know that it's tough, but try and keep a positive outlook. Be careful of some of the sites on the internet as they'll try to get you to spend money for them to give you information that is available to job seekers that make contact with employers.
Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM

No, I don't imply anything. I say exactly what I mean. And if offered a part time job, I will take it. As for taking responsibility for themselves, how do people take on the responsibility of having insurance for example, when they can't find a job that offers it? It's a fact that Florida stinks when it comes to jobs with livable wages. It's very hard to live here if you have to work. A lot of us are not here by choice, and are on our own. This is not whining, this is utter frustration. It could be worse though. At least it doesn't snow here.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM

66 posts, read 207,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Hello everyone

I've been looking for a job in Orlando since late June/early July and still can't find anything except one serving food behind a counter and cleaning... I left after about a month because I was not getting any breaks in a 6-7 hour shift during the last days I worked and the job was not what I expected. I'm trying to get a clerical/legal $10-$12 p/h job. I have an Associate's Degree and I'm currently getting my Bachelor's at UCF and still can't find anything in those areas. I'm about to get desperate, my rent bill is about to come, I have to collect money for the next semester in school and my bill are pilling up... I've been on interviews on law offices and a bank, I go dressed up in a conservative suit, subtle makeup and always carrying my neat folder with my resume and transcrips and nothing.... Anybody else in a similar situation?
Its tough, very tough. I stumbled across my job in an office by miracle 2 years ago and I hate it to death but I know the job market here is misery and Im going through the Bachelor's Degree process myself. If you're physically fit and dont mind taking a few months break from UCF, you can join a law-enforcement agency and get quick money + tuition reimbursement. You will be sponsord thru the academy at Valencia and its quickk money. Once you finish the academy, you can go back to UCF and most any large agency will reimburse you for approximately 2 classes per semester so it may take a little longer to get your degree, but if you need money now, this could be the ace in the whole. Mind you it takes up to 4-6 months for the application process, but like I said, quick money. You even get paid while you're in the academy. I'm getting into law enforcement once I finish at UCF.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,804 times
I have a bachelor's degree from UF and I have been looking for a job for almost a year, interrupted only by a brief stint with the Census.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:33 PM

66 posts, read 207,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twirlandswirl View Post
I have a bachelor's degree from UF and I have been looking for a job for almost a year, interrupted only by a brief stint with the Census.
Whats your degree in? Honestly the job market here is closing and closing, now its mainly hospitality or engineering. Possibly medical but that of course requires medical school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando