Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 AM

7 posts, read 37,094 times

Advertisements

hey, im from the uk and a student and through our university we are moving to the area for a year to work in america.

We get our accommodation organised for us
and we are to move to s.kirkman road, orlando, 32811

but i have done a lot of research and from what i can tell the area seems to have a bad reputation. And as im not even from america, i am extremly worried about leaving my country and moving to america to an area where i have read a lot of bad things about.

Please can anyone tell me what exactly the area is like? Please do be honest, but try not to worry me too much!

Whats the actualy area like for transport and eating out and shopping?

Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
It is a very convenient area with a lot of retail, dining, amenities, etc. but I am sorry to say that there is not a good reputation there. It is Metrowest, but it is the more rundown side of Metrowest. Bad areas of Raleigh st and Orlovista are also in this ZIP code. If you live in a gated complex, or are further down Kirkman southward past Metrowest Blvd it will be a little better. There are worse areas to live, but there are also much better places to live... by a long shot!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 AM

ive checked on google earth and from what i can tell, where i am on s.kirkman road seems to be around the metrowest blvd

From what i can gather metro west blvd is a road just of s.kirkman road on the left (when looking down from google earth)

im in a gated complex around 1601 s.kirkman.
or something like that.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Probably more than actually BEING unsafe, you will FEEL unsafe because you will see a lot of riffraff around WalMart and along Kirkman. You will probably hear a lot of sirens, some helicopters and the occasional gunshot. I do not think you will like living here and so I warn you against that, but I am not trying to freak you out because it sounds like it is out of your control as well.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 AM

o gosh!
Do you think that I am going to be unsafe there then?
Will it be that i find my self in unsafe situations, or will it be more a case of hearing about it and the trouble stays between the gangs etc?
Or am i going to get mugged when i go to the shops? haha

It is just even more scary the fact ive never even been to America before.
Thankyou very much for all your help, i really do appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM

Are you going to have transportation or will you be walking in the area?

I ask because I would feel safer in this area if I did not have to walk to the grocery store or the drug store. Just be aware of your surroundings and be more careful at night. I want some other people to confirm my feelings and posts because I do not want to freak you out for no good reason. I know about Metrowest and I go there every once in a while. I have never personally felt unsafe, but I go during the day only because of Metrowest's reputation as having a lot of crime. I went to the WalMart on Kirkman once in the middle of the night, I will say about 10PM but earlier than Midnight and I did not feel unsafe. Looking back at it now, I should have been a little more cautious and probably would not go back to that WalMart in particularly day or night. I would be more cautious at night, understandably.
If you will have a way to get around, I would do more shopping at the Millenia mall and the SuperTarget there, or in DR Phillips where there is a newer WalMart.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 AM

ALSO, I cannot really advise on hypotheticals like if you will be victimized or if the fighting is between gang members/criminals only. Crime is random, and it is just higher in this area and some others in Orlando because there is more poverty and desperation than others. Most violent crime is domestic and it seems that major chains and drug stores are often targeted in robberies.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM

I will not have any transportation i dont think.
maybe a few other students may get cars, so we can all share, but im not too sure.
Other then that i guess we are to use public transport.

I will be working at Universal Studios while im in Orlando.

This is a trip thats been going on for a few years now, and i guess it must be a sucess if they keep doing it, but I've got admit i do feel rather conerned, especially when looking at Orlando's news websites There does seem to be a lot of crime!

Yes ive heard about Millenia Mall, it does look good!

From what i can gather, using google earth again, there is a WalMart literally just down s.Kirkman, i seem to be on living on the opposite side of the road and not very much further up from it, it doesnt look like a long walk at all, maybe 5/10 minutes.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM

That is the WalMart you should avoid though. It is the epicenter of crime for the area. You should do your shopping in the Millenia or DR Phillips areas.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
I have 3 Sec-8 rentials around there and its not that bad I do carry a gun but I carry everywhere I pick my part of the rent at night with out to much worry

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: