Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM

848 posts, read 1,954,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
I don't recommend Florida in general or Orlando in particular.

People are rude, lots of foreigners, schools are very bad, traffic is slow, not many jobs except in tourism and the govt, and no one wants to raise taxes to pay for maintenance much less improvements of the roads, schools, lakes, etc.

April and November are the best months weather wise. May to October is hot, and humidity can be 100% without rain. You can just stand still and sweat rolls down your back. It rains most days spring through fall, which supports the tropical landscaping. Hurricanes are not too threatening in Orlando, but one good one can wipe you out.

If quality schools are important, go to another state. If you like to hear English, go to another state. If good-paying jobs (over $50K a year) are important, go to another state.

I guess the best thing is the nice weather from November to April, but that won't pay your bills or teach your kids. If you value a good quality of life, go to another state.
DITTO!!!! I agree with everything you said.

The heat is absolute hell. You'll know in a couple of years if it's something you can tolerate long term.

If you're intent on coming to Florida, then R-E-N-T! I cannot stress that enough. R-E-N-T!!

If you buy and want to leave, you'll take a big loss - if you can sell. Property values are still dropping and neighborhoods are changing.

We're willing to take a 50% loss on our very nice home in a very nice neighborhood just to get out of this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 21,782 times
Where in burbs do you live? Any recommendations?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,944,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
DITTO!!!! I agree with everything you said.

The heat is absolute hell. You'll know in a couple of years if it's something you can tolerate long term.

If you're intent on coming to Florida, then R-E-N-T! I cannot stress that enough. R-E-N-T!!

If you buy and want to leave, you'll take a big loss - if you can sell. Property values are still dropping and neighborhoods are changing.

We're willing to take a 50% loss on our very nice home in a very nice neighborhood just to get out of this state.

Do you live in Avalon Park by chance?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,350,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNewbietoo View Post
True MetroWest is beautiful. Too bad they planted it within 2 miles of the highest crime area in orlando!You are right though,Orlando isn't a safe place to live.Live in the burbs,I do and am within 20 minutes of clubs,malls and theaters.
"Orlando" can be a very safe place to live. Baldwin Park, College Park, or Dr Phillips, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2010 View Post
Any of the 3 areas I listed above.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM

57 posts, read 168,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Metrowest is a good area to check out. One thing I like about it is that it is not too far from any part of Orlando. It feels like it's in the center of Orlando.
Metrowest isn't a very good part of town to live in. It used to be really nice, but I don't think I'd recommend anyone to rent an apartment there.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:16 PM

57 posts, read 168,817 times
I do not recommend Orlando. I live in Altamonte Springs which is 10-15 minutes from downtown Orlando and I absolutely love it. Everything is here, mall, shops, restaurants, and its central to everything. The crime rate is low here and you can find a decent apartment to rent at a decent price.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,025,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2010 View Post
Don't ever live in the "burbs" of Florida. The people who recommend living there come from the backwoods somewhere else and find this setting ideal. It's at the very least true in Tampa. Everyone for whatever reason wants to live in Brandon, Riverview, Lutz, etc... I moved to Brandon, pay more money, have worse crime, and don't even get the "big city" feel of it. It's a good 15 min drive to the nearest fast food place.

I'd imagine the "burbs" of Orlando being the same.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,350,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb5575 View Post
I do not recommend Orlando. I live in Altamonte Springs which is 10-15 minutes from downtown Orlando and I absolutely love it. Everything is here, mall, shops, restaurants, and its central to everything. The crime rate is low here and you can find a decent apartment to rent at a decent price.
I feel the same way about Dr Phillips. Millennia isn't that far away and restaurant row is awesome.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 AM

11 posts, read 27,119 times
Good info, ill be moving to the dr phillips area next week from michigan. Got a good job lined up so im set, now let me head outside and scrape this ice off my car in this lovely 5 degree weather!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,944,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Don't ever live in the "burbs" of Florida. The people who recommend living there come from the backwoods somewhere else and find this setting ideal. It's at the very least true in Tampa. Everyone for whatever reason wants to live in Brandon, Riverview, Lutz, etc... I moved to Brandon, pay more money, have worse crime, and don't even get the "big city" feel of it. It's a good 15 min drive to the nearest fast food place.

I'd imagine the "burbs" of Orlando being the same.

I lived in Orlando and out in the burbs. Everyone was either foreign or from NY. I wish they were "backwoods" but that wasn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando