Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 03:42 PM

16 posts, read 62,015 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to which of these two cities make for better living. I hear schools aren't as good in FL, but I hear racism exists in GA. Crime is probably a factor in both, but I'm looking more at the areas surrounding these major cities vs. directly in them. I'm sure there are goods and bad for each, just like any place, but I'm interested in seeing how many people would choose FL over GA, or vice versa. What is great? What deters you from the other?

What would you prefer and why?

Last edited by dana6703; 03-11-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM

18 posts, read 61,756 times
We're actually leaving ATL to go to Orlando. You can find good schools in Atlanta if you choose the right place to live. I haven't seen too much racism here. I'm sure it exists, but my children are friends with kids of all races and I have met lovely people of all colors here. You will definitely find the "good old boys" who still fly their confederate flags. And you will definitely find the African American element that blames the white people for all that is wrong in their world. But for the most part the city is very integrated and I haven't seen too many conflicts. Again - I'm sure that all depends on which neighborhood you pick.

As to which one is better - it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want a GREAT house on a nice piece of property for a VERY reasonable price, then come to Atlanta. If you want even warmer weather (all year round) and you like the feel of Florida, then Orlando is the place for you.

I'm sure that doesn't help you much. But I personally, can't wait to get to Orlando. I've enjoyed my time in ATL, but I want what Florida has to offer.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Sunny,

You are moving from ATL!? haha Funny! Well, we were looking at both GA or FL, but leaning more toward FL for the work aspect. I LOVED the homes in the Suwanee, Buford, etc. area... and I heard many good things about the schools in the area too. (My sister in law lived there.) But after asking around a bit, I'm liking the Windermere area in FL. I just really wanted to consider all the options seeing as I've got a son that will be in first grade. Scary :P

Thanks for your post though, and your message! I like knowing as much as possible! And again, good luck to you!

Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
There are good schools here depending on the side of town as it is everywhere. I would assume that the standard of living is a little lower in Georgia, but I may be wrong about that. Atlanta will probably be more "big city" than Orlando, though there are tons of things to do here too. Since this is "ground zero" for the housing market (or close enough), you may be able to get a real estate steal here.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
[quote=dana6703;18239510]I'm curious as to which of these two cities make for better living. I hear schools aren't as good in FL, but I hear racism exists in GA. Racism exists in FL too. Crime is probably a factor in both, but I'm looking more at the areas surrounding these major cities vs. directly in them. Atlanta has more crime overall, but it's much bigger too. I'm sure there are goods and bad for each, just like any place, but I'm interested in seeing how many people would choose FL over GA, or vice versa. What is great? What deters you from the other?

What would you prefer and why?

Probably Orlando. Traffic is insane in Atlanta. I'd live there though, if say, I had a good job offer there though. But I'd probably choose Orlando over Atlanta... but not by much...

Old 03-12-2011, 05:00 PM

thank you for the opinions!

what do you think about retirement to one of those states? i am looking into a job which would start a home healthcare. so that will factor in greatly... i assume FL would have more people for that market, but i could be wrong? where's the better market?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM

13 posts, read 38,168 times
I live in Atlanta and my husband is interviewing next week for a job in Orlando. I'm panicking because I love Atlanta. I have lived here for 6 years and I really love it. I did not want to move here initially, and I thought I would hate it here but I was so wrong.

I have lived in Denver, Minneapolis, Dallas, and now Atlanta. I enjoyed them all but Atlanta is my favorite. Minneapolis is awesome but I would never want to live in such a cold climate now that my blood has "thinned".

We live near Roswell. There are parks, aquatic centers, good schools, local support of the arts, many recreational opportunities for the kids etc and that doesn't include the whole metro area-that's just our suburb.

Then we have professional sports, awesome performance venues, top notch zoos, aquarium and museums.

Each city and suburb has it's own personality. You can pick stuffy and WASPy or cool and funky, diverse or homogenous- take your pick.

There are great houses for great prices. You can easily travel to the mountains or the beach. We have 4 beautiful and distinct seasons.

The traffic can be an issue but if you don't buy a house too far from your job it isn't an issue. My husband has an easy 30 minute commute. I know what roads to avoid at what times and the traffic is rarely an issue for me.

What's not to love.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khg203 View Post
I live in Atlanta and my husband is interviewing next week for a job in Orlando. I'm panicking because I love Atlanta. I have lived here for 6 years and I really love it. I did not want to move here initially, and I thought I would hate it here but I was so wrong.

I have lived in Denver, Minneapolis, Dallas, and now Atlanta. I enjoyed them all but Atlanta is my favorite. Minneapolis is awesome but I would never want to live in such a cold climate now that my blood has "thinned".

We live near Roswell. There are parks, aquatic centers, good schools, local support of the arts, many recreational opportunities for the kids etc and that doesn't include the whole metro area-that's just our suburb.

Then we have professional sports, awesome performance venues, top notch zoos, aquarium and museums.

Each city and suburb has it's own personality. You can pick stuffy and WASPy or cool and funky, diverse or homogenous- take your pick.

There are great houses for great prices. You can easily travel to the mountains or the beach. We have 4 beautiful and distinct seasons.

The traffic can be an issue but if you don't buy a house too far from your job it isn't an issue. My husband has an easy 30 minute commute. I know what roads to avoid at what times and the traffic is rarely an issue for me.

What's not to love.
Don't worry about the move, I think Orlando will pleasantly surprise you. I love Atlanta, it's one of my favorite places, but I also love my own town, O-town. There is so much to do here and you'll also be able to add theme parks to your repertoire of things you love about where you live. As for performing arts, Orlando has a good scene and even hosts the largest Fringe festival in the Southeast. Concerts are fun here too as we have a Hard Rock Live, House of Blues, and plenty of other smaller venues like the Social which resembles Center Stage in Atl. We don't have a zoo or aquarium in the traditional sense but you can always experience Sea World and Animal Kingdom to get your fix. Plus both of those parks are accredited as zoos and aquariums so technically, you'll get the most attended zoo and aquarium in the US. You will loose the mountains, 4 seasons, and 3 out of the 4 pro sports. However, you'll still have the NBA, you'll be much much closer to awesome beaches, and late October- early April is beautiful and you'll learn to call average daytime highs in the 70's winter. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 PM

357 posts, read 783,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khg203 View Post

What's not to love.
wow I didnt realize it was possible to love the atlanta area that much haha. I grew up in atl and moved to fl for the job i have now. Granted I do not share your affinity for atlanta, but I think you'll be just fine in orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: