Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like living in Orlando
Yes 23 76.67%
No 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,462 times

Advertisements

I am currently an American citizen living in Brazil. I was thinking of moving with my Brazilian fiancee to Orlando or Tampa. I remember really liking Orlando as a kid, and lots of my friends love this city. I want some feedback from the residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
You really have to look at your lifestyle in Brazil and a realistic assessment of if you could live that same lifestyle here with whatever your budget will be. As far as Tampa or Orlando, how important is the beach to you?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
And you'll support yourself how?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
A great place to raise a family? NO.

For a single person with a good job? YES. It wouldnt be my first choice, but I could see a young professional enjoying it in Orlando.

It's also a bit confusing because I'm not sure what you're asking in your poll. Are you asking if it's a "great place to live" or if "you enjoy living in Orlando?" It's probably too late to clarify that now, but just making you aware I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Let me clarify better.

We love Brazil and like the lifestyle. We feel Florida will have the closest atmosphere to Brazil. In Brazil the beach is very important, and we love going. We prefer clean beaches with clear blue water. We are both in are 20s. We also like to go out to nice restaurants, parks, and bars. I hate shopping, but my fiancee loves it. I prefer cultural activities. I hate traffic, and my fiancee is worries about crime. I have degrees in accounting and economics, plus I speak spanish and portuguese.

What I am asking is if you would recommend Orlando for what I want.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:13 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Let me clarify better.

We love Brazil and like the lifestyle. We feel Florida will have the closest atmosphere to Brazil. In Brazil the beach is very important, and we love going. We prefer clean beaches with clear blue water. We are both in are 20s. We also like to go out to nice restaurants, parks, and bars. I hate shopping, but my fiancee loves it. I prefer cultural activities. I hate traffic, and my fiancee is worries about crime. I have degrees in accounting and economics, plus I speak spanish and portuguese.

Thanks!
I think Miami or Ft. Lauderdale will suit you better, however you aren't going to get away from crime and traffic anywhere in Florida. Tampa has your clear beach waters covered, but the nightlife there is somewhat lacking. It's just more of a laid back scene there I think. Orlando has more nightlife overall than Tampa, but it is not for everyone. The bars are not these giant upscale places...more like tons of smaller places. The downtown has a nice lake park and places to walk around, eat, drink, etc. However, coming from Brazil I don't know what you are used to...the nightlife might not be enough. The beaches are either 50 minutes to the east coast where the waters are not clear, or 1.5 hours to the west coast.

Last edited by Pete C; 11-16-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 05:56 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Let me clarify better.

Thanks!
If you hate traffic and worry about crime, I'd suggest somewhere other than Orlando. But you speak spanish and want the "Brazil lifestyle"...so it's a toss up.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
If you hate traffic and worry about crime, I'd suggest somewhere other than Orlando. But you speak spanish and want the "Brazil lifestyle"...so it's a toss up.
They speak portuguese in Brazil.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
They speak portuguese in Brazil.
lol

Old 11-16-2009, 07:36 PM

80 posts, read 231,806 times
I don't live in O-town anymore, so I didn't vote on the poll. However, when I did live there it reminded me of a Miami jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando