Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 AM

63 posts, read 165,574 times

Advertisements

We moved out of Davie in Broward back in 07 to South Carolina. The winters here are relatively mild compared to the northern states but our winter this time was almost 5 months long. We just got hit by golf size hail and driving on ice is NO FUN. I rather deal with a hurricane, at least you can prepare for it. The State Income Tax here along with the annual vehicle tax cuts into our pockets so what we save in insurance rates, the State takes in taxes. My son hates it here too and can't wait for the move.

Four years later we are looking to move back to Central Florida around Oviedo, Winter Park, Lake Mary area. The housing market is very affordable and have been searching in these places. My wife works for a company here in SC that has an office in Maitland so a transfer is no problem. How are the homeowners and auto insurance rates in this area? I know South Florida rates are outrageous. We are looking at homes in the 2200 to 2600 sqft range ranging from 230K to just under 300K.

Any advise, areas to avoid, etc will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM

114 posts, read 306,552 times
I went to high school in Pembroke Pines, so I am familiar with Davie.

The areas you chose (Oviedo, Winter Park, Lake Mary) are PERFECT.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernbar View Post

We moved out of Davie in Broward back in 07 to South Carolina. The winters here are relatively mild compared to the northern states but our winter this time was almost 5 months long. We just got hit by golf size hail and driving on ice is NO FUN. I rather deal with a hurricane, at least you can prepare for it. The State Income Tax here along with the annual vehicle tax cuts into our pockets so what we save in insurance rates, the State takes in taxes. My son hates it here too and can't wait for the move.

Four years later we are looking to move back to Central Florida around Oviedo, Winter Park, Lake Mary area. The housing market is very affordable and have been searching in these places. My wife works for a company here in SC that has an office in Maitland so a transfer is no problem. How are the homeowners and auto insurance rates in this area? I know South Florida rates are outrageous. We are looking at homes in the 2200 to 2600 sqft range ranging from 230K to just under 300K.

Any advise, areas to avoid, etc will be appreciated.
Lake Mary would be your best bet based on quality of schools and proximity to Maitland. Based on your home criteria you could expect to pay anywhere from $1500-$2000 per year on average for homeowners insurance. Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates

Old 05-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Rocky

The Pines go all the way west to US 27 now. Still a pretty place.

Kyle

Thanks for the Insurance link. The rates in Broward and Dade still higher even though they have dropped a bit.

Thanks both for your feedback!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Winter 5 months long? Where are you iin SC and what do you consider winter?

All the areas you have chosen are excellent areas. Homeowner's insurance on my 1600 sq ft home are about $600/yr. Car insurance just depends on the drivers and ages. I just added my 17 year old son and it went way up. Just for liability, it cost about $1500 every 6 months on 3 cars. Before I added my son, it was about $900 every 6 months.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM

626 posts, read 976,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Winter 5 months long? Where are you iin SC and what do you consider winter?

All the areas you have chosen are excellent areas. Homeowner's insurance on my 1600 sq ft home are about $600/yr. Car insurance just depends on the drivers and ages. I just added my 17 year old son and it went way up. Just for liability, it cost about $1500 every 6 months on 3 cars. Before I added my son, it was about $900 every 6 months.
Becky,Do you mind if I ask you, who you are insured with? These rates are pretty good.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Beckycat

We are in the Upstate, NW corner of SC in Greenville County. Seems like its been ranging from the 40's to the 60's since late Oct early Nov. Jan, Feb, dips to the teens and we had high tosty days in the high 30's during late jan- feb. Its finally warming up but we had high 50's a couple of days ago. My wife is originally from Weehaken NJ but I guess her blood has thinned out from living in Florida for so many years, so she too complains about the cold.

Last edited by ernbar; 05-22-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovfl View Post
Becky,Do you mind if I ask you, who you are insured with? These rates are pretty good.
Olympus.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernbar View Post
Beckycat

We are in the Upstate, NW corner of SC in Greenville County. Seems like its been ranging from the 40's to the 60's since late Oct early Nov. Jan, Feb, dips to the teens and we had high tosty days in the high 30's during late jan- feb. Its finally warming up but we had high 50's a couple of days ago. My wife is originally from Weehaken NJ but I guess her blood has thinned out from living in Florida for so many years, so she too complains about the cold.
For the past 2 years we had unusually cold winters that lasted longer than usual. We had several cold days in a row. (20's at night and 40's in the day) To me though it's very tolerable and refreshing even though I don't care for the cold. I can understand what your wife says about her blood thining out. I can tolerate heat better than the cold even though I don't care for the extremes of either. We are from the Poconos and I could never handle that cold again.

Anyhow, let me know if I can answer anymore questions for you. I'll gladly help out.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 PM

626 posts, read 976,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
olympus.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando