Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 171,135 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in San Diego. In 91 my mom moved us out and i returned once for a ballgame in 2004 for 2 days but had to be back in new mexico for work . Well years went by and I got married and had kids and a career that let my family back to San Diego in may on 2010. I was excited but sad to leave Orlando.

I HATE BEING BACK HERE ... I hate everything san diego has become and in my eyes it couldnt hold orlandos jock strap.

1.The food is ok , but one tires of mexican food very very fast

2. The beaches are bad.. downright bad. parking too hard to find, over crowed, water is dark and smelly and whats with the 60 degree water temp?

3. getting pulled over by border patrol for "random rolling checks" is nuts.. just nuts

4. San Diego is well known for it's weather but i dont get why? it's not 72 here everyday .. thats a myth.. how about 58-60 till about noon when the ocean layer burns off and even then the coast warms up to a balmy 68... every now and again the beach will hit 80.. .but it doesnt matter when the water is once again .. 59 degrees

5. HOMELESS EVERYWHERE.. and i do mean everywhere. it's not like orlando where you see a guy here or there downtown... here... everywhere you go you get hit up for money.

there are 900 homeless living on beds and cots and some even less then that , under city bridges around downtown... and thats just downtown alone

6. people in orlando complain about crime... feel lucky you dont live along a border town. Just a few months ago 2 miles from my house on the mexican side of the border a body was found headless at the bullring, the head showed up on a stake in front of a elementary school along with a few bodies dumped in barrells with acid.

carjackings, homeless shooting people, robbing people, stabbing people... gangs, cartels... and the border patrol here to stoke the fire... jesus ... i'm tired from all this ranting alone and living here has put me into a state of depression i'd rather have never experienced.

All that said ... i'm leaving and i just cant wait to step foot in florida again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 PM

626 posts, read 976,575 times
We lived in California twice and I was not impressed at all. Both times, we stayed two years and couldn't wait to get out.. Florida is "heaven" to us, especially the friendly people and the beaches and no smog and so much more to do.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,935 times
I lived in Oceanside for 16 years. Went back to my home in RI and am now heading for Orlando. There were a lot of things I liked about San Diego but it was just too.I also remember the " June Gloom" that would stick around until noon or later

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM

I feel guilty that i have put my family through the move and changing schools. I all talked about and raved about was how great San Diego was...then we move and it's hell. You cant even walk down the street without being harrassed by law inforcement. Walking down the street you get bothered by the cops just walking a little dog and they harrass you and ask you whats in yoru backpack and where you going what are you doing , you look suspicious. The california dream is over , and apparently left a long time ago.

I miss Orlando. You can walk in the evening and enjoy your life without being asked "where you going and where you coming from"

I will never complain about I-4 traffic as well... whew

Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Hopefully you will find the relief you are looking for here. Since you just left last year you don't need any refreshers or many updates. Biggest changes, they started construction on the Performing Arts Center and housing prices have fallen even more. Other than that, probably just as you remembered it. Welcome back.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Yes the housing prices. UGH ... I saw several houses for sale on zillow for 40-50 60-70k
Same house went for 200-250 k a few years ago. There is now relief here on that front .

The small cottage next too us , 1 bd, 1 ba 400 sq ft on a large lot just sold for 165k

Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
I always liked San Diego, but just could not afford it. Orlando has it's problems, but it is a much easier place to live. The only concern I have about living in Florida is hurricanes and home insurance. I think eventually, that problem will really put a hurt on many homeowners.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM

626 posts, read 976,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I always liked San Diego, but just could not afford it. Orlando has it's problems, but it is a much easier place to live. The only concern I have about living in Florida is hurricanes and home insurance. I think eventually, that problem will really put a hurt on many homeowners.
Orlando is too far inland for hurricanes. I was here when the worst one ever hit, Charlie, even closed DW. It wasn't even as bad as the many wind storms we had up north!! We had a couple of young trees in our neighborhood knocked over and that was it. We didn't even take our furniture off the lanai.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
Yes, Orlando does not get as often, but the problem with insurance is if a hurricane hits anywhere in Florida the cost for insurance will go up for all.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM

44 posts, read 65,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiloshark View Post
I was born and raised in San Diego. In 91 my mom moved us out and i returned once for a ballgame in 2004 for 2 days but had to be back in new mexico for work . Well years went by and I got married and had kids and a career that let my family back to San Diego in may on 2010. I was excited but sad to leave Orlando.

I HATE BEING BACK HERE ... I hate everything san diego has become and in my eyes it couldnt hold orlandos jock strap.

1.The food is ok , but one tires of mexican food very very fast

2. The beaches are bad.. downright bad. parking too hard to find, over crowed, water is dark and smelly and whats with the 60 degree water temp?

3. getting pulled over by border patrol for "random rolling checks" is nuts.. just nuts

4. San Diego is well known for it's weather but i dont get why? it's not 72 here everyday .. thats a myth.. how about 58-60 till about noon when the ocean layer burns off and even then the coast warms up to a balmy 68... every now and again the beach will hit 80.. .but it doesnt matter when the water is once again .. 59 degrees

5. HOMELESS EVERYWHERE.. and i do mean everywhere. it's not like orlando where you see a guy here or there downtown... here... everywhere you go you get hit up for money.

there are 900 homeless living on beds and cots and some even less then that , under city bridges around downtown... and thats just downtown alone

6. people in orlando complain about crime... feel lucky you dont live along a border town. Just a few months ago 2 miles from my house on the mexican side of the border a body was found headless at the bullring, the head showed up on a stake in front of a elementary school along with a few bodies dumped in barrells with acid.

carjackings, homeless shooting people, robbing people, stabbing people... gangs, cartels... and the border patrol here to stoke the fire... jesus ... i'm tired from all this ranting alone and living here has put me into a state of depression i'd rather have never experienced.

All that said ... i'm leaving and i just cant wait to step foot in florida again.
I was just browsing threads in Orlando forum with "San Diego" in the thread b/c I might relocate to Orlando b/c of my job.

With that being said, the post above is the most inaccurate and factless thing I've ever read.

Yes, if you live IN Mexico, perhaps you'll witness all these crimes you speak of. The majority of San Diego is very safe. I'd venture to say safer than Orlando. I live 15 min from the beach and I can walk my neighborhood at 3am if I wanted to with no fear of anything.

The weather here is INSANE. As in insanely awesome. But if you love heat, high humidity and the need to blast the a/c for months out of the year, then you won't like San Diego. If you like sunshine and moderate temps all year round, you'll like it here. I can't believe I'm actually defending San Diego weather. A first for everything. If you like the outdoors, San Diego can't be beat. Period.

The ONLY negative I have about San Diego is the housing costs. Yes houses are expensive here but have come down a lot. Comparable rents in nice areas of San Diego are probably $500-700 more a month vs Orlando. And taxes are higher. Then again you're electric bill will be lower since heat is never needed and often neither is A/C.....or not for very long.

Orlando is definitely a decent place to live and it's cheaper to live than San Diego. But on all other fronts, I think San Diego wins hands down. There's a reason it costs more to live here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: