Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM

511 posts, read 854,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1225 View Post
Hello all :^) My husband and I are getting ready to move to Florida from Central NY. I am really excited, however, I am terrified of the thought of me or my kids getting bit by a black widow spider. I am 32 years old and have lived here all my life. I have only been bitten by 1 spider ever(even though we have TONS of spiders here...lol) I am wondering, what are the odds of getting bit by a black widow? Do they normally stay outside and/or away from humans? I have visions of my children getting bit in there sleep, while laying on the floor watching tv, while getting dressed, or sitting on the couch ect... Is this a valid fear or am I being ridiculous? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so very much! This fear is killing my excitment of a very loooooong awaited move
Yes being ridiculous as are many that move here from fantasy lands north . Florida is natural and wild and if you're not ready to be a part of that and meld with it best to consider living elsewhere as us Floridians like it the way it is and not only don't want to change it but want to protect it..

Needlessly being fearful of a tiny insect to the point of actually allowing you such obvious stress or killing useful harmless critters like snakes, frogs, lizards and so on perturbs me more then anything else.. I've seen many black widows and NEVER had a single one come track me down, just beware of dark places and crevices but another spider even more potentially dangerous is a brown recluse, like the black widow you hardly ever see either.

If you're THAT concerned you probably won't be too comfortable if you can't get around that as there is buzzing wasps, hornets and bees and many other kinds of nature but we don't have as much West Nile virus as you do up that way, so you've got one up on us there be careful of the Dengue though ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,439 times
I've never seen a black widow in Florida but I do find a less harmful brown widow in my screen room a couple of times a year. Black widows are extremely rare here, and their bites aren't actually fatal.

There are no brown recluses in Florida. They're just a myth around here.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:53 PM

511 posts, read 854,634 times
^Nonsense there most certainly IS brown recluses and 2 other species, having personally been bitten you're a silly fool to suggest otherwise.. They aren't native but they DO exist...

Black widows aren't THAT rare either just seeing them is, as they're quite reclusive and live in obscure places like under tables or other similarly obscure places, but on your second point it is very true it is more an irritant then a real danger will mostly make you quite uncomfortable and ill. As I said, a brown recluse is far more dangerous as a spider bite goes as the bite doesn't actually hurt at least not initially but in a short period of time the tissue around the bite begins to necrotize and it continues to if you don't get it tended to and before you know it a large portion of wherever the bite occurs is dead and can get seriously infected or continue to die. Some bad bites may require surgery to remove necrotic tissue and possibly a skin graph to close and properly heal the wound but even still these bites are seldom fatal, generally it has to be a really freak bite location and without proper treatment.

They also hide in places like shoes, bushes, under rocks and such and are much harder to spot. A black widow has a very distinctive web and is very tough and wiry with a small, furry looking, ball shaped nest woven within it.

For the edification of some: Scroll to the bottom.
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/pi/e...usspiders.html

Last edited by HomesickFloridian; 03-23-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM

83 posts, read 139,419 times
I grew up in Arizona and black widows were everywhere. My mom just trained us to look for them. I still have a very healthy fear of spiders. We were never bit.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 13,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, excellent tip! Little known fact, roaches are also drawn not only to the cardboard boxes but the glue on the packing tape which I guess they find tasty. Getting rid of all of that stuff they find attractive will go a long way to keeping them out of your garage and attic.
I would put the lid on the totes of things that will be stored for a while, like seasonal decorations, and then go around the seal with Plastic wrap a few times to make it tight. When we lived in Jacksonville our storage room was disconnected from the house and that kept critters of any kind out of our things.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:45 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
who said no brown recluse?? anyhow before I move into any place I make a lethal concoction(w mineral spirits) that will kill all but maybe humans and spray the place down in corners, closets, attics crawl spaces, garages, laundry rooms, kit cabinets, and maybe outside depending how the house is made, crawly spaces and such,,, and later Lysol the place to death,,, then I move in... in the spring you need to spray again somewhat. I have seen rats, huge spiders, squirrels get in attics, heard of possums and racoons, and some places you see the alligators- My kids live in clermont, at dusk-- all doggies/ small kids in the house! the wildcats/ panthers come out of the orange groves to eat them, we are taking away their habitat. IT is Florida! only thing eve scare me was in Miami beach looked down in the sidewalk gutter and the mother of all plametto bugs was there-freak flew away! it was the size of my hand.., and overseas in a pocket door. a spider the size of a crab came out... so not bad in 60 yrs

Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 AM

217 posts, read 325,927 times
Never seen a black widow spider in my 25 years of living here.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Spiders you are likely to see in Florida.
Featuring Florida Spiders From My Backyard and Throughout the State | Florida Backyard Spiders | Daniel D. Dye II

Old 02-12-2014, 05:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Of all the things to worry about you choose Black Widows? Since central Fl is the lightening capital of the world I would think lightening strikes would be far more a concern. Be aware 450 people have died from falling out of bed vs the 6 from black widows.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1225 View Post
Thank you so much for all of your replies. I really had this vision of these things biting me and my kids while we sleep or crawling around on my living room floor...lol It sounds like they prefer to stay away from us. I am wondering if plastic totes would help keep them out of my storage items(such as holiday decorations). Thank you so much!!
I've seen many. I have seen huge infestations of them. Almost always on porches or garages. And I HATE spiders.

BUT... they keep to themselves and stay in their webs. They don't wander around like some other spiders. I have never been bitten and I do not know anyone that has been bitten by a black widow.

I DO know of several people who have been bitten by brown recluse spiders. I have only seen a few of those in my life, and I've never been personally bitten, but they scare me more because they crawl around. Black widows really stay in their webs 99% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando