Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM

123 posts, read 252,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Whining about other whiners, anybody else see the irony.
The point of this post wasn't really to whine about whiners, but to present an alternative data-point from an employer's standpoint... that whereas we keep hearing complaints of the bad economy and there being no jobs out there, that's not the full picture. I agree that the job market isn't what it used to be, so it requires job-seekers to be a bit more proactive to get a job, but that's definitely not happening in this area. I have sought people not just for my company for the past few years or more, but also for friends looking for IT personnel for their companies, and so far the attitudes of people in S. FL and Orlando are definitely different than some other places. Bottom line is that my data shows that the attitude is more "lazy" here, and there is more complaining here of not finding jobs. Again, MY data, for the candidates I've crossed paths with, in the areas I've crossed paths with them, and for the roles relevant to me, so this may be very different from you and your personality. I was just presenting an alternative view from an employer's standpoint, so take what you will from this. If you feel personally attacked by this, then well.... actually I'll not comment here as you'll probably feel even more attacked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray_Dude View Post
The point of this post wasn't really to whine about whiners, but to present an alternative data-point from an employer's standpoint... that whereas we keep hearing complaints of the bad economy and there being no jobs out there, that's not the full picture. I agree that the job market isn't what it used to be, so it requires job-seekers to be a bit more proactive to get a job, but that's definitely not happening in this area. I have sought people not just for my company for the past few years or more, but also for friends looking for IT personnel for their companies, and so far the attitudes of people in S. FL and Orlando are definitely different than some other places. Bottom line is that my data shows that the attitude is more "lazy" here, and there is more complaining here of not finding jobs. Again, MY data, for the candidates I've crossed paths with, in the areas I've crossed paths with them, and for the roles relevant to me, so this may be very different from you and your personality. I was just presenting an alternative view from an employer's standpoint, so take what you will from this. If you feel personally attacked by this, then well.... actually I'll not comment here as you'll probably feel even more attacked
I'm sure you're right and from a particular perspective it may seem to be as you describe. However the IT segment of the Orlando job market is quite slim and not reflective of the overall employment situation as witnessed by the masses of overqualified and jobless who continue to show up for new (and old) stores/restaurants/hotels in hopes of landing even part-time work. I can assure you most of us are not lazy or lacking in proactive traits.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Oh I'm sorry, I must have confused you with all the other "holier than thou we have jobs, worship the ground I walk on" employers out there, who don't offer any decent pay raises and shoddy management with no benefits that chastise you for calling out when feeling "sick". Sorry, that couldn't be you, no.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
... However the IT segment of the Orlando job market is quite slim and not reflective of the overall employment situation ...
Agreed that IT is slim in Orlando. Other my own electronics assembler/technician search, I'm also casually looking for an IT person in Orlando to do remote support/installs for a friend who's company is based out of S. Florida, but has clients here in Orlando. I will find out soon how people with that skill set compares, when I get more active with that search.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
I wonder if the OP is this guy

Greg Dawson Working column: Young workers less professional? - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
I wonder if the OP is even paying competitive wages? Maybe he wants folks to work for less than they can find at other places and they found better leads elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM

If you paid attention, you'd realize that commentary is on professionalism, whereas I was referrering to people's apparent lack of desire to make an effort for their own sake/future. If I paid less than fair wages, 2 of my 4 employees would not have moved with me (another was a planned departure as he graduated automotive school in Feb and informed me a couple years earlier that he had planned to go into automotive tuning). And unless there is a lot of short-term tasks (ie: orders that need to go out that or the next day), they are free to come in any time they wish, stay late if they wish and skip the next day, etc. I send out text messages the evening before informing them of I have visitors the next day, so they dress a bit better (than shorts and flip-flops). A year ago, I had one employee leave and came back two months later, because it seems the grass really wasn't greener on the other side. Should I assume these detours from the original intent of my post is due to your lack of a point to make? You really should've comment on anything that you don't have any data on just for the sake of being argumentative.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times
Quote:
If you paid attention, you'd realize that commentary is on professionalism, whereas I was referrering to people's apparent lack of desire to make an effort for their own sake/future. If I paid less than fair wages, 2 of my 4 employees would not have moved with me (another was a planned departure as he graduated automotive school in Feb and informed me a couple years earlier that he had planned to go into automotive tuning). And unless there is a lot of short-term tasks (ie: orders that need to go out that or the next day), they are free to come in any time they wish, stay late if they wish and skip the next day, etc. I send out text messages the evening before informing them of I have visitors the next day, so they dress a bit better (than shorts and flip-flops). A year ago, I had one employee leave and came back two months later, because it seems the grass really wasn't greener on the other side. Should I assume these detours from the original intent of my post is due to your lack of a point to make? You really should've comment on anything that you don't have any data on just for the sake of being argumentative.
Would you mind just telling us what your "fair" wages are? What are the median wages for the type of job you are offering... Are you below or above that line?

Would you mind providing the financials of your company?

As a potential employee, why would I want to work for you? How do I know your company is going to be around next year? I for one would not want to work for an employer who hasn't even found a place to live and is not yet fully operational.

You make it seem like these folks don't have any initiative... have you ever stopped to think that maybe they don't want to work for you? The person who called the day afterwards was probably just desperate.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM

Provide financials? I'm not a public company, and of course I would mind, because it has nothing to do with my original post. But post your last 3 years tax return, credit report and medical history and I'll think about it
Your data isn't totally correct... I am fully operational and the only reason I am in a hotel for now is cause I was going to rent for a while first, but some things have worked out for me in the past couple weeks, and I am now very happily in a position to buy instead of sinking money into rent, so my search has changed. FWIW, I negotiated a decent rate for a month with the hotel manager, and quite happy with this for a bit.

This thread is off track. I offered an alternative perspective and you can take what you want from it, or leave it altogether. I really don't need to continue this. Good luck with your job search.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,465 times
Quote:
Provide financials? I'm not a public company, and of course I would mind, because it has nothing to do with my original post. But post your last 3 years tax return, credit report and medical history and I'll think about it
Your data isn't totally correct... I am fully operational and the only reason I am in a hotel for now is cause I was going to rent for a while first, but some things have worked out for me in the past couple weeks, and I am now very happily in a position to buy instead of sinking money into rent, so my search has changed. FWIW, I negotiated a decent rate for a month with the hotel manager, and quite happy with this for a bit.

This thread is off track. I offered an alternative perspective and you can take what you want from it, or leave it altogether. I really don't need to continue this. Good luck with your job search.
Actually it has everything to do with your original post. How do I know you are a sound business? Do you want me to just take your word for it? What is your track record? How much revenue have you generated over the past 5 years? Are you going to guarantee me a pay check? How do I know that you are not some fly by night business?

You said: "As I hadn't moved here to Orlando yet, I told everyone we'd be fully moved and operational by Mar 1st"

As a potential employee, that's a red flag. Why are you moving if you were so successful before? How do I know you are going to be successful now?

That's why your company financials are important. Small businesses fail every single day... how do I know that yours is not next on that list?

Unlike you, I'm not offering someone a job that their livelihood depends on, so there is no need for me to supply my financials.... for you not to see that this has everything to do with your worth as an employer shocks me, frankly. The employer-employee relationship is a 2-way street.

Enough out of me.... I'm sure you're a good guy at heart, and I honestly do hope that your business flourishes in Orlando... I love seeing small businesses succeed! I'm sure you will end up finding some great employees in Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando