Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Whoaaaaa 60 Miles of Traffic? Hahaha Never will Orlando be like that.
Great mention about increasing traffic around the country!
In my starting post on this thread I stated how traffic was slow this past Friday at 2pm for no good reason. In Los Angeles, that is a normal occurrence. Especially one the 101 and 405 Freeways (the latter being the busiest freeway in the US, I drove both freeways, they sucked) A simple 20 mile trip from the San Fernando Valley to Downtown LA can take upwards of an hr around that hour. Cant imagine how bad it is during rush hour

In the two years I lived in Vegas I saw traffic considerably get worse. And it has gotten worse here in ORlando since ive been gone as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM

189 posts, read 436,162 times
Quote:
I don't think SunRail will stop the congestion until there are feeder routes Not everyone works downtown and theres no way people traveling East to West or even East to Northwest or South West Vice Versa Can even use SuNRail. It sucks because this city doesnt understand you need at least one or two feederlines and in a Metro as expanded as Orlando you need several.

But I have the same hopes that it one day will. Traffic here at least moves. Well with the exception of I-4 sometime.
Well we needed to start somewhere. I'm confident over time there will be more routes coming into place throughout the metro area.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:31 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
In my starting post on this thread I stated how traffic was slow this past Friday at 2pm for no good reason. In Los Angeles, that is a normal occurrence. Especially one the 101 and 405 Freeways (the latter being the busiest freeway in the US, I drove both freeways, they sucked) A simple 20 mile trip from the San Fernando Valley to Downtown LA can take upwards of an hr around that hour. Cant imagine how bad it is during rush hour

In the two years I lived in Vegas I saw traffic considerably get worse. And it has gotten worse here in ORlando since ive been gone as well
I noticed that too on that Friday. I was in the Amway overlooking I-4 around 1:45 and noticed the slow down on both directions. It's normally like that after 3 PM on a school day. But I could not justify a reason as to why that was, no special events, all star game, nascar or golf tournament or magic game, it just was traffic. L.A. is actually one of those cities that it's always going to be car oriented in our life time unless mass transit is well developed which they are doing a fantastic job doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
Well we needed to start somewhere. I'm confident over time there will be more routes coming into place throughout the metro area.
Yup. I agree 100%
A great example of what Mass Transit should be like is the Utah Transit Authority or UTA. Check out some of their TRAX, Frontrunner videos on Youtube. Orlando is in so many ways like Salt Lake City as far as growing and developement. SunRail will only help. I can't think of another major metro that implemented Commuter Rail first as a leg of Mass Transit but I believe it will work. It's a start of many rail and other projects oriented around mass transit to come in this area. I hope they don't take long because I do want to see them in my lifetime.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,625 times
Quote:
Saw a Quebec license plate last night at the Ale House on John Young in Hunters Creek actually

And I see cars (particularly from the NE) where they go 55 (or less as you said) but in the right lane. In CT where Im from, by law, the left lane is a passing lane only, people seem to think its that way down here too for some reason

But that really does grind me gears, somebody on I-4 going 55 in the left lane with nobody in front of them, its people like them who cause congestion. As soon as I get an opening, I jump to the middle lane get up to 70-75 mph like everybody else and press cruise until I get behind another slow driver

Sheesh! Isn't the speed limit 55?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Yes, but it is usually blatantly ignored by most drivers

Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdogfball View Post
Quote:
Yes, but it is usually blatantly ignored by most drivers
Exactly, as it should be. No reason for a major 6-8 lane interstate highway to have that kind of speed limit.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Exactly, as it should be. No reason for a major 6-8 lane interstate highway to have that kind of speed limit.
Well another thing to take into consideration is that I-4 through downtown has a lot of curves and ups and downs. That could be dangerous in bad weather. Sadly people still go 70+ when its raining sideways and they cant see more than 10 feet in front of them

I went 50 mph on I-4 one time through downtown. It was torture

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Quote:
I don't think SunRail will stop the congestion until there are feeder routes Not everyone works downtown and theres no way people traveling East to West or even East to Northwest or South West Vice Versa Can even use SuNRail. It sucks because this city doesnt understand you need at least one or two feederlines and in a Metro as expanded as Orlando you need several.

But I have the same hopes that it one day will. Traffic here at least moves. Well with the exception of I-4 sometime.
SunRail needs to be expanded for it to be useful. It's too linear. Roads can be widened but the road will end up congested again in a few years if there's no alternate route. All road widening does is increase capacity and you'll see more vehicles on the road than originally. An extra lane is all it takes to encourages more people to use the road.

Transit should be first priority then worry about the road later.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
This is what concerns me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46869942#.T3NKpvmnfec

Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
No need to be worried - the C-D urban planners have informed us that Orlando will be fine and not affected by major population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando