Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,517 times

Advertisements

hey y"all my son and i are moving back south. just way south not to ga but to winter park fl. Are there any alligators or poinous snakes i should be worried about?My son is 6 and autistic and thinks everyone and everything is nice.Alligators and snakes worried on bigger more ont he alligators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,347,475 times
You'll have much less of a chance of encountering these critters in Winter Park as it is a more developed (urban/suburban) area but there is still a chance of running into them. Snake would not be as much of a concern, most poisonous snake in FL live in marshlands and wild areas, it would be rare to see a rattlesnake or cottonmouth in an area like Winter Park. Now gators on the other can be just about anywhere in any body of water in FL. You just have to supervise your son well and teach not to go near the water's edge.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,908 times
As the previous poster said, it's unlikely that you or your son will come across a poisonous snake in Winter Park, but it is possible. I'd avoid places where snakes might be hiding, such as (and this happened at our house) not shuffling through mulched flower beds.

As for gators, it's safest to assume that any body of water in Florida other than a temporary rain puddle will have at least one gator in it. This includes water hazards on golf courses, where gators have been found. Just don't hang around the water's edge.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,038,816 times
I googled and found this article, and rather than summarize it, I'd recommend reading it since it's pretty cool.

When animals attack: Death databases indicate that our fondest phobias may be misdirected | Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,803,659 times
I would be a lot more worried about the people around there rather than critters that you probably won't ever see.

Some areas of WP are pretty rough. 2 burned bodies were found on the bike trail for pete's sake! (this week) Cady Way Trail. You should also be aware of sex offenders (search the State of FL sex offender website)

Please do not let your son wander around the home or apt complex unattended. (not that you would even consider it) Even a "friendly neighbor" could be a very bad person. I'm not trying to scare you but this is the reality today. I could tell you about 2 young children who were killed at apartment complexes - one by the married neighbor guy and the other by the on-site maintenance worker.

Please be careful when chosing an area. The bike trail incident was connected to an apartment complex there.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM

129 posts, read 448,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I would be a lot more worried about the people around there rather than critters that you probably won't ever see.

Some areas of WP are pretty rough. 2 burned bodies were found on the bike trail for pete's sake! (this week) Cady Way Trail. You should also be aware of sex offenders (search the State of FL sex offender website)

Please do not let your son wander around the home or apt complex unattended. (not that you would even consider it) Even a "friendly neighbor" could be a very bad person. I'm not trying to scare you but this is the reality today. I could tell you about 2 young children who were killed at apartment complexes - one by the married neighbor guy and the other by the on-site maintenance worker.

Please be careful when chosing an area. The bike trail incident was connected to an apartment complex there.
Lets be real, this type of crime (2 burned bodies) doesn't happen in Winter Park on any type of regular basis, even in the "rougher" parts. Aside from a few shady apartment complexes the 32792 side of Winter Park (where this crime occurred) is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: