Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 26,496 times

Advertisements

I’am considering relocating me and my family (wife and 4 kids) from washington state to around the orlando area to attend le cordon bleu culinary school but I need to make sure they have good schools for my children and a good youth soccer program for my oldest son and good ballet for my daughters can anyone tell me is it worth coming here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
Schools depend on where you move. Ballet and soccer, yes. Lots.

How old are the kids? How far are you willing to commute? Looking to buy or rent? Price range? Any other requirements?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM

220 posts, read 418,052 times
How ironic. I am living in Orlando and would love to move up to the PNW (but probably could not live with the winters and grey skies).

There are a lot of very good public schools and even more so-so and bad ones. I can only speak for the areas I know but the following schools are very good/solid = Windermere Elementary, Lake Whitney, Thornbrooke, Westbrooke. Middle Schools = Bridgewater. High Schools = Olympia, West Orange, Winter Park. Seminole County schools seem to get very high ratings too.

There are very strong soccer programs in Orlando. We have such a strong influx of Brazilians, South Americans, Mexicans, etc. and some of their kids are sooooooo talented with their feet. Programs range from non-competitive (Largest # of YMCA's in all of America from what we are told) to ultra-competitive select teams (Rush Soccer is one example). ESPN/Disney holds Pro/Youth style summer soccer clinics. If you think one of your kids is REALLY good at soccer, Orlando is also right near the IMG Academies in Bradenton Florida (a complete school dedicated to the most elite athletes in the US that also has a strong academic program).

Now do me/us a favor and if/when you move down, please bring down the PNW/Seattle summer weather and natural beauty. If we can have that then Orlando would be the # 1 place to live in the world (ha ha).

Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinaryjoe View Post
I’am considering relocating me and my family (wife and 4 kids) from washington state to around the orlando area to attend le cordon bleu culinary school but I need to make sure they have good schools for my children and a good youth soccer program for my oldest son and good ballet for my daughters can anyone tell me is it worth coming here?

LeCordon Bleu will run you about 20,000 to 40,000. That being said, you could do Keiser's Chef Academy, or Valencia Culinary Program doing this Disney Partnership program and really expand your knowings. Moving to go to Le Cordon is a leap and I respect you for your desires. Just know the culinary field in Orlando is demanding with an array of opportunities. You can work on cruise lines hear, dinner boats, resorts, theme parks, hotels, convention center, etc. So just be aware it's a very competitive career field in Central Florida. I was going to culinary school myself (and still might one day) but I didn't want it to be my main career. But anyhow, go far my man.

We actually don't have MLS soccer like pacific northwest but we have the Orlando City. They have youth clubs and all.
They may be an MLS team in the next few years too!
Orlando City Soccer

Longwood in Seminole county is great on soccer as is Seminole county is from what I hear a great family place and great education place for children
Northside Sportsplex , Longwood, FL

Seminole county is a drive from Le Cordon Bleu but they have around the clock schedules at Le Cordon from 6 am to 10 Am
10 am to 2 Pm, 2 Pm to 6 Pm, and 6 Pm to 10 Pm. So it can work around your schedule.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM

My children are 2,5,8,10 so I would like to see a lot of activities for kids along with good schools and being a musician (drummer for 20 years) I like to see a music scene,my wife is a photographer so she will probably want to get into something doing photography. my main focus is having excellent schooling for my kids and a safe neighborhood for them to grow in we will probably rent for a bit, until I get done with school. one reason we are also looking at florida we would like mostly year round weather and would like to be able to go to the beach many times during the year as we are getting tired of snow and cold.

Last edited by culinaryjoe; 05-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: needed to add

Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 PM

570 posts, read 1,153,408 times
Quote:
I hope you have a lot of money saved up before coming down here.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM

gator- we’ll have the money to move there thats not a problem for sure can’t move without money, is expensive to live in florida if it is can you give me some examples wht does a 3 bedroom apt or house cost to rent? what does your gas price average?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Quote:
gator- we’ll have the money to move there thats not a problem for sure can’t move without money, is expensive to live in florida if it is can you give me some examples wht does a 3 bedroom apt or house cost to rent? what does your gas price average?
I'm not sure you understand what Gator meant by saving up your money.

I didn't make this video. Just reposting it.

Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube

Any forum here, whatever city, when a person says they want to move there with no money and no job, everyone always freaks out warning them. It might be one of the worst decisions in their life. Florida moreso, due to the "sunshine tax" putting the supply and demand for residency/jobs so that there are few jobs and high prices.

That said, it's really nice. It'd be handy if you had family you could mooch off for a while though.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Regular gas is $3.52 a gallon. Milk is around the same price per gallon lol.

Rent can vary widely depending on the area you live in within Orlando. A 3 BR place in Dr Phillips (either a TH or single-family home) will start at no less than $1400 a month. Dr Phillips is a nicer part of town near all of the attractions.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
My children are 2,5,8,10 so I would like to see a lot of activities for kids along with good schools and being a musician (drummer for 20 years) I like to see a music scene,my wife is a photographer so she will probably want to get into something doing photography. my main focus is having excellent schooling for my kids and a safe neighborhood for them to grow in we will probably rent for a bit, until I get done with school. one reason we are also looking at florida we would like mostly year round weather and would like to be able to go to the beach many times during the year as we are getting tired of snow and cold.
How do you plan on supporting yourself? All these things cost money. And you would be going to school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando