Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,635 times

Advertisements

In early August my family and I will be relocating to FL for my husband's job. We want to rent a house for a year before buying one so we get to know the area. It seems like most rentals I've found online are available immediately so I'm not sure if anyone would want to "hold" a house for 2 months. When is the best time to start looking for rentals? Is it best to go through a realtor/company? We've been renting our current house for 4 years through a private owner, but we were local when we moved in so it was easier to check it out. We have some family down there that can check them out for us, and we may be able to make a quick trip down at some point too, but the simpler the process, the better.

We're probably moving to the Seminole County area. My husband's job will be in Maitland (with some local travel to Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville), and he has some family in Oviedo.

Oh and we're looking for a single family home (pet friendly), no apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,176 times
Hotpads.com and Rentals.com are both pretty good sites with lots of search options.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,227 times
Honestly, the only decent way to do it is to connect with a realtor who is actually helpful and stays in contact... or to drive around and call numbers on For Rent signs. Most of the places you see listed online are gone before you can put down a deposit - there very rarely is time to actually see the places first.

Some landlords will hold a place for a month or even two if you put down a deposit. My place was held for 5 weeks for me, but I gave the deposit (full month's rent) and the first month's rent in advance.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM

254 posts, read 790,222 times
I found my rental through craigslist. I started looking at realtor.com and the company paid for a "house hunting" trip so we were able to look at the different areas where we want to live. House was listed for $1500, 4 BD, 3.5 BA, manned-gated community and we offered to pay $1400, one yr lease and offer was accepted. We live in Avalon Park, Timber Creek high school is a great school w/a great band program. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando