Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillybear View Post
Haha!! Gaggers are hot weiners..sometimes called New York System weiners...basically a small, thin frankfurter, steamed bun, the weiner is topped with a meat sauce seasoned with spices like cumin, paprika, chili powder and allspice, then covered in finely chopped raw onions, celery salt and yellow mustard.
Definitely a staple of not so fine cuisine!! Usually popular with the late night crowd.

Here's THE place to get them...
Olneyville New York System | Rhode Island's Best Hot Wieners
Oh my goodness...I see why they would be popular with the late night crowd....my stomach hurt just reading this. The t-shirts they sell are a hoot!!

Thanks for clearing this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I know the cardboard pizza of which you speak,lol. This tastes nothing like it.
In school when I lived in Illinois we had the thick pizza....usually served with dill pickles as the veggie of the day and a piece of really good pie at my high school.

I love the "cardboard pizzas" of Monicals Pizza chains up there. Like most people who live in other states and visit family up there we have to hit a Monicale or 2 for the "cardboard"every time we are up there.

Funny story...when my son was a Freshman in college at UCF his roommate was from my hometown in Illinois. One of the first things my son said to him was" I bet you love Monical's,too". The kid was so surprised my son had ever been there.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillybear View Post
Haha!! Gaggers are hot weiners..sometimes called New York System weiners...basically a small, thin frankfurter, steamed bun, the weiner is topped with a meat sauce seasoned with spices like cumin, paprika, chili powder and allspice, then covered in finely chopped raw onions, celery salt and yellow mustard.
Definitely a staple of not so fine cuisine!! Usually popular with the late night crowd.

Here's THE place to get them...
Olneyville New York System | Rhode Island's Best Hot Wieners
Sounds pretty good. Love hearing about regional food....for example do you know what a pig in a blanket is?

In Illinois it is a hot dog wrapped in biscuit dough, but in Miinnesota a pig in a blanket is what I call a cabbage roll. A cabbage leaf with ground beef, rice, and seasings inside.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM

27 posts, read 65,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Oh my goodness...I see why they would be popular with the late night crowd....my stomach hurt just reading this. The t-shirts they sell are a hoot!!

Thanks for clearing this up.

Anytime
Yes, your stomach will hurt...especially after about "3 all the way"! Ewww..I get mine with no onions,please!!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Sounds pretty good. Love hearing about regional food....for example do you know what a pig in a blanket is?

In Illinois it is a hot dog wrapped in biscuit dough, but in Miinnesota a pig in a blanket is what I call a cabbage roll. A cabbage leaf with ground beef, rice, and seasings inside.

Gotcha..yes, good old Monicals Pizza...I gotta say it's not all that great but I still have to stop in while visiting my dad. Well that along with a tenderloin. Some of the food trucks around have had them..not the same tho.
And we had mush. I got excited when I saw it in Publix one day so I bought a bunch of it...then I was like....I really missed that? My son hated it lol.

I'll make not of the pig in the blanket....I would have assumed they got my order wrong.

And here I just got used to what grinders were. Who says you can't learn new things on the internet.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Steve View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for "Bakery Pizza" in Central Florida? Doesn't have to be a bakery, but it's the style of pizza with a thick crust, sauce on top and just parm. cheese.

Heres a photo of what I'm talking about. Loved this stuff up north.

http://n.b5z.net/i/u/10008691/i/DSC00337.JPG
Yum, I had pizza like that when I was visiting family on Long Island NY earlier this year.

I don't think I've had it in Orlando before.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Gotcha..yes, good old Monicals Pizza...I gotta say it's not all that great but I still have to stop in while visiting my dad. Well that along with a tenderloin. Some of the food trucks around have had them..not the same tho.
And we had mush. I got excited when I saw it in Publix one day so I bought a bunch of it...then I was like....I really missed that? My son hated it lol.

I'll make not of the pig in the blanket....I would have assumed they got my order wrong.

And here I just got used to what grinders were. Who says you can't learn new things on the internet.
Sliders yea, grinders and cbinets never heard about them before either. Sound good though.

Check out the state and county fairs for the pork tenderloin sandwiches. Some of the carnivals
are owned and based in Illinois and they usually have at least 1 stand that has them. Usually run out before they leave town here.

What I miss is the good Italian beef sandwiches that you get up there. Don't see them offered down here a lot and if they do just doesn't have the same flavor.

Here's another one from Minnesota....they call sloppy joes-slushburgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando