Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,821 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a couple with 2 kids below 3 who'll be moving to Park Central apartment soon. As with the other folks posting here, my concern meter is going haywire seeing that a lot is being said abt orlando being unsafe.
I appreciate any thoughts on the aprtmnt complex we are moving into and general advice on staying safe in Orlando/Florida since I'll be spending so much time alone with my young babies.

Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Default Let me help

Quote:
Originally Posted by wispowind View Post
Hi, We are a couple with 2 kids below 3 who'll be moving to Park Central apartment soon. As with the other folks posting here, my concern meter is going haywire seeing that a lot is being said abt orlando being unsafe.
I appreciate any thoughts on the aprtmnt complex we are moving into and general advice on staying safe in Orlando/Florida since I'll be spending so much time alone with my young babies.

Thanks folks.
I was pretty sure I knew where these apartments are but wanted to look it up before I answered.
This is one of the newer complexes in this area, I honestly don't think you'll have any problems.

I'm not sure what size of town or city you are coming from so forgive me beforehand, I, in no means, intend to be insulting to you.

Orlando is going thru some major growing pains. There is crime, yes but what place doesn't. To put it into the words of local law enforcement, you have 10% of the population commiting 95% of the crimes. You'll see murders, home invasions ect reported, but keep in mind these crimes are rarely random. 95% of them are drug related.
It's not like some will try to convince you...you know...criminals and gangs running amok in the streets shooting everyone that goes buy.

Just keep your eyes and ears open, take the same safety precations you would take in any city and you'll be fine.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM

47 posts, read 311,630 times
well there are 354 registered sex offenders in that zip code where Park Central Condos are. i was looking in that area myself initially and had this feeling of 'don't do it'. So i posted a ? on this site on the millenia mall area and got all no's from the people who replied, which confirmed my hesitation.
you should also know there's a jail right behind Park Central.
look elsewhere my friend.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:37 PM

207 posts, read 926,028 times
This appears to be true; however, it is important to compare apples to apples. So I compared the Park Central zip code to my own neighborhood (which is considered to be one of the best places to live in the U.S.), via the following website: National Sex Offender Registry, and was surprised to discover that my area has a higher percentage of sex offenders than Park Central. Since my town is about 1/5th the size (population) of Orlando, the total number (114) is lower, but the percentage is higher. In short, from my perspective Park Central isn’t that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC8 View Post
well there are 354 registered sex offenders in that zip code where Park Central Condos are. i was looking in that area myself initially and had this feeling of 'don't do it'. So i posted a ? on this site on the millenia mall area and got all no's from the people who replied, which confirmed my hesitation.
you should also know there's a jail right behind Park Central.
look elsewhere my friend.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM

47 posts, read 311,630 times
..listen... lets forget apples to apples here....1 sex offender is too many.

personally, i'd never recommend a young family or anyone to move to an area that has THAT MANY sex offenders, regardless of the population. and i certainly would never indicate its nothing to worry about.

my current zip there are 41 sex offenders and that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about it.

overall the number of sex offenders in florida is utterly disturbing.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM

207 posts, read 926,028 times
I agree one is too many; however, my point is the total number, IMHO, is not as important as the percentage to the population. For example the 41 number you stated doesn’t tell me very much about your neighborhood/zip code. On the surface it appears to be low; however, if the total population is 50 then that’s another assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC8 View Post
..listen... lets forget apples to apples here....1 sex offender is too many.

personally, i'd never recommend a young family or anyone to move to an area that has THAT MANY sex offenders, regardless of the population. and i certainly would never indicate its nothing to worry about.

my current zip there are 41 sex offenders and that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about it.

overall the number of sex offenders in florida is utterly disturbing.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM

127 posts, read 499,571 times
..i just threw up a lil bit in my mouth! I just looke dup my zip code...99 offenders.... Disgusting!!!!!

almost wish i didnt know now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: