Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,277,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastika View Post
actually, women can use ur citizens patrol, thaspecial, 5 am is the most likely time for women to be kidnapped and raped.

this is why i dont go to the gym in the morning. at our gym in ny we had a security guy sitting out in the parking lot in a car.

nice to know....i have no interest in "citizens patrol" though...i would rather be able to protect myself with a gun out there on that job like a real cop...i grew up in Miami and they had security at alot of gyms too.....now about the 5am hour being the most likely time for a woman to get raped or robbed...i would disagree....i hardly see anyone out jogging or doing anything at that time after i get out of work...but i understand what your saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM

95 posts, read 434,233 times
I posted before regarding low pay and high costs here in O town. That along with the suggestion that poverty breeds crime.

Someone asked what should be done. Upon reflection, I would have to say Florida may finally need to implement a state income tax to improve schools, infastructure and services to the communities. With better schools and less crime and better traffic flow, more large companies may locate here and pay employees better. I suppose what I am saying is that we need to build a better foundation for growth instead of continuing to try and build on sand and sunshine.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM

765 posts, read 2,640,388 times
Florida has low pay because it is a right to work state. Even the higher level jobs pay significantly lower here than they do in other parts of the country. I think a state income tax would make things worse, not better.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:10 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,219,959 times
fla doesnt pay any worse than any other state in the south.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,573 times
I work for an international hotel company headquartered in Maryland. Our timeshare division is headquartered in Olrando. The associates in Orlando are on the exact same pay scale as those in Maryland. You could buy two very nice single family homes in Orlando for the price of one home in the Washington D.C. Metro area. The salaries are exactly the same as here but the cost of living is substantially less down there. Also, property taxes and state taxes are extremely high in Maryland. Orlando really seems appealing to me.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,277,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearn510 View Post
I work for an international hotel company headquartered in Maryland. Our timeshare division is headquartered in Olrando. The associates in Orlando are on the exact same pay scale as those in Maryland. You could buy two very nice single family homes in Orlando for the price of one home in the Washington D.C. Metro area. The salaries are exactly the same as here but the cost of living is substantially less down there. Also, property taxes and state taxes are extremely high in Maryland. Orlando really seems appealing to me.

nice to know...there goes (one) job out of a million that is the same pay rate everywhere else......how much do jobs like Burger King, Wal Mart, and data entry jobs pay up there? D.C. seems appealing to me....look at all the professional high paying "real" jobs up there.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM

242 posts, read 613,870 times
Sometimes I browse online newspapers for different areas in other states to see what the wages and rent are for that area.

The majority of the time, either the rent is about the same and the wage is higher... or the rent is lower while the wages are about the same... Don't know about their state taxes and property taxes.

Property taxes down here are becoming a little hefty...

Old 10-20-2007, 10:00 AM

431 posts, read 2,126,635 times
Florida is not that bad. I was suffering thru culture shock when i left NY to Orlando in 2004-2005. I ended up leaving FL because real estate prices were ridiculous and I got priced out of the market, and decent paying jobs are hard to come by. That is still the case. But those were my major gripes (and it was hot as h*ll). Other stuff was minor. I didn't think crime was really an issue (i lived in Altamonte Springs), nor racial tension or whatever else people complain about.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,219,959 times
culture shock? you left ny for orlando.

imo, that's like leaving bithlo for eustis. it's the same thing. what dont you have in orlando that ny has?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:43 PM

242 posts, read 613,870 times
Yeah, I've not heard much about Altamonte Springs but my brother in law was from there and from what I gather, it was (is?) a quiet little place?

Hot as h*ll. Florida's humidity. Stifling. And wet. Dropped and broke a jar of instant coffee once when I was on my way out the door. When I got home, the dry instant coffee was mushy, so mushy that it wasn't a quick sweep up job any more, it was like suryp.

I don't have a garage, so early in the morning I have to use a squeegy thing to swipe the water from my car windows. I've seen dew before but jeesh, down here it's like Monsoon Dew or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando