Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,071 times

Advertisements

I am getting a gun for the first time in the state of Florida......I have owned one when i was in Tennessee but it wasnt legal.....i sold that to make money to move here with my mother.......I deliver pizza and i am away from home all night and my mother sleeps there alone.....i plan on buying a gun for the house and one for my car for work because i feel kind of defensless out there delivering pizza...

what would happen if i had a gun at work and someone tryed to rob me and i shot them while sitting in my car.......would i go to jail...or could i plea self defense?

The same thing at home.....what happens when someone breaks in your house and you blow thier f-n kneecap off after they enter?.....LOL.....just a little humor but really do i go to jail or what happens with the laws in these situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,067 times
Florida allows people to get concealed carry permits. You can carry a gun legally with a permit. If you get caught carrying one illegally, then of course, you're subject to the criminal sanctions that go with that.

In Florida (like most all other states) you are allowed to defend yourself or your family if you believe you are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. There used to be a very arcane requirement in FL law that you first attempt to retreat, but that was removed recently to make FL law in consort with most all other states.

If someone is attacking you and you legitimately feel in danger, you can defend yourself in FL. No, you cannot introduce lethal force into arguments with your neighbor, traffic disputes, etc (which some of the totally ignorant opponents of the recent reworking of FL self defense statutes would try to have you believe). Matter of fact, FL prosecutes the *misuse* of a firearm very harshly under the 10/20/Life provisions. FL is a great state to exercise your gun rights, but a terrible state if you are a criminal using firearms.

As far as the guns themselves, in FL, you are allowed to carry a firearm in a vehicle so long as it's "securely encased" (there is a myth about "three steps"- the gun must be "three steps away" in order to be legal. It's a myth. People have actually been arrested for violating this non-existant "rule" and won civil cases for it)

There is no open carry in FL, but there is concealed carry with a proper permit. Permits are "shall issue" meaning as long as you don't have a felony on your record, a pending restraining order or a domestic violence conviction (basically, as long as you aren't already prohibited from owning a firearm in the first place), you will be approved for a permit to carry one after taking a class and paying a fee. As far as what you can keep in your home, there aren't any restrictions on that, beyond what's already restricted at the Federal level.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Florida allows people to get concealed carry permits. You can carry a gun legally with a permit. If you get caught carrying one illegally, then of course, you're subject to the criminal sanctions that go with that.

In Florida (like most all other states) you are allowed to defend yourself or your family if you believe you are in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. There used to be a very arcane requirement in FL law that you first attempt to retreat, but that was removed recently to make FL law in consort with most all other states.

If someone is attacking you and you legitimately feel in danger, you can defend yourself in FL. No, you cannot introduce lethal force into arguments with your neighbor, traffic disputes, etc (which some of the totally ignorant opponents of the recent reworking of FL self defense statutes would try to have you believe). Matter of fact, FL prosecutes the *misuse* of a firearm very harshly under the 10/20/Life provisions. FL is a great state to exercise your gun rights, but a terrible state if you are a criminal using firearms.

As far as the guns themselves, in FL, you are allowed to carry a firearm in a vehicle so long as it's "securely encased" (there is a myth about "three steps"- the gun must be "three steps away" in order to be legal. It's a myth. People have actually been arrested for violating this non-existant "rule" and won civil cases for it)

There is no open carry in FL, but there is concealed carry with a proper permit. Permits are "shall issue" meaning as long as you don't have a felony on your record, a pending restraining order or a domestic violence conviction (basically, as long as you aren't already prohibited from owning a firearm in the first place), you will be approved for a permit to carry one after taking a class and paying a fee. As far as what you can keep in your home, there aren't any restrictions on that, beyond what's already restricted at the Federal level.

Thanks for that info..i appreciate that...ill give you some rep......

How much do you think the class is to get the permitt?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 AM

299 posts, read 1,333,221 times
Do you have to take the class if you are a US armed forces veteran?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,994 times
thaspecial, classes and permit is about 300 dollars i believe. maybe more.

i thought about putting one in my vehicle, but i am worried about the 3 step rule and if i understand it exactly. on the other hand, in your own home, you can shoot if they are inside your house, so you can "blow their f-n knee caps off"

Old 10-01-2007, 06:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I am getting a gun for the first time in the state of Florida......I have owned one when i was in Tennessee but it wasnt legal.....i sold that to make money to move here with my mother.......I deliver pizza and i am away from home all night and my mother sleeps there alone.....i plan on buying a gun for the house and one for my car for work because i feel kind of defensless out there delivering pizza...

what would happen if i had a gun at work and someone tryed to rob me and i shot them while sitting in my car.......would i go to jail...or could i plea self defense?

The same thing at home.....what happens when someone breaks in your house and you blow thier f-n kneecap off after they enter?.....LOL.....just a little humor but really do i go to jail or what happens with the laws in these situations?
well lets put it this way. if they are jailing the cops for shooting back at the bad guys, whudaya think they will do to you?
get yourself some pepper spray keep it on your person. take that gun out of the car right now.
if you plan to shoot somebody in the house, you better get a real good lawyer first. if lucky you might not go to jail. the majority of crimes in the home in san diego occur thru an unlocked door or window. so if you lock the doors and windows just think, you wont have to kill anybody.
leave the killing of bad guys to the cops and military. lots of legal action always follows. your priority should not be getting the bad guys straightened out. your priority should be the same as mine
taking care of my mother lets do it.
im with you brother.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 PM

14 posts, read 121,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
Do you have to take the class if you are a US armed forces veteran?
no, you need your dd214, you make application through the dept. of agriculture.Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, DOACS

Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM
LM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post

i thought about putting one in my vehicle, but i am worried about the 3 step rule and if i understand it exactly.
There is no "three step rule". It's a total myth made up by cops.
Laws are determined by statutes- not rumors or abstract interpretations theorized by legal laypeople.

In Florida, the statute is clear as a bell. If you're transporting a firearm in a vehicle or private conveyance, it must be "securely encased" in order to be legal. This means that you can have a loaded sidearm- cocked with a round in the chamber- sitting on the passenger seat next to you, so long as it is "securely encased", you're within the purviews of the law.

Now, don't get me wrong. Cops absolutely don't understand this- but if they arrest you for it, you will win a nice civil suit (and there is clear precedence on this exact issue), as they cannot arrest you for violating a "cop philosophy" that isn't codified in the law.

All Florida gun owners- including every cop- needs a copy of this book.
Attorney Jon Gutmacher, Author of Florida Firearms: Law, Use and Ownership

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 PM
LM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
if you plan to shoot somebody in the house, you better get a real good lawyer first. if lucky you might not go to jail. the majority of crimes in the home in san diego occur thru an unlocked door or window. so if you lock the doors and windows just think, you wont have to kill anybody.
leave the killing of bad guys to the cops and military. lots of legal action always follows. your priority should not be getting the bad guys straightened out. your priority should be the same as mine
taking care of my mother lets do it.
im with you brother.
stephen s
san diego ca
This post is near total garbage.
In Florida, a citizen in fear for their safety and lawfully defending themselves with a firearm against an attacker who is threatening great bodily harm won't face any prosecutions.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
thaspecial, classes and permit is about 300 dollars i believe. maybe more.

i thought about putting one in my vehicle, but i am worried about the 3 step rule and if i understand it exactly. on the other hand, in your own home, you can shoot if they are inside your house, so you can "blow their f-n knee caps off"
thanx for the info and for getting my humor....lol....i gave you some rep for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando