Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

160 posts, read 451,628 times

Advertisements

In another thread it was recommended to take a look at Alaqua/Alaqua Lakes, Wingfield Reserve, Heathrow, Magnolia Plantation and Timacuan. If anyone has any pics of these neighborhoods I would love to see them. I would also like to hear from anyone who currently lives in those communities about how they like living there (pros/cons).

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Check out Google Street View which will show you street level shots of the non-gated neighborhoods. To get you into the area I found the Arby's at 4260 West Lake Mary Blvd. Lake Mary, FL has a street view shot. Type that address into your Google search bar. A map will come up with a green arrow indicating that address. When you click on that green arrow another map will open with a red letter "A" on the same address. When you click on the "A", a picture of that location will open up. A small square on the bottom right of the screen will open as well. Click on that square and it will increase size to 1/3 the page (along the bottom). You'll notice within that section now a small green arrow icon with a "little orange man" standing on it. Click on that and drag it with your mouse. You'll notice after doing so the street will turn blue. Anywhere within the map where the street is blue, there's a street view of that address. At each point you can use your directional arrows for a 360 degree view. You can move throughout the area and get a good idea of housing that way, at least in the non-gated communities. You can also zoom out a bit to see the area better with the +/- sign on the left side of the box. Hope this helps!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM

36 posts, read 83,488 times
I lived in Lake Mary for 2 months and loved the great selection of ethnic and non-ethnic restaurants. It's very much a "new suburbia" with everything looking less than 5 years old and felt very safe. I'd have no problem walking or driving around past midnight. There's even Florida's largest gun show in the area (Gander Mountain) if you choose the Floridan way of defense

Lake Mary Blvd is the main commercial strip. West of Lake Emma are corporate offices and TV studios. East of Lake Emma rd are condos, homes, and a high school. Heathrow appeared to be an even nicer area but I never spent much time there. The Timacuan golf course looked nice but that's all I saw of that area. The I4 is easy to get to because traffic is lighter compared to other areas (i.e Altamonte Springs + Maitland).

If you want modern suburban living, I think it's a great area if you don't mind using the I4. Other parts of Orlando are older and more congested. It took me 15 minutes to work from Lake Mary (12 miles). Now I live 6 miles away but it takes me 15+ minutes because the local traffic. I4 isn't bad until past Maitland.

The con is that it is the opposite side of the city from Disney, Universal and giant outlet malls - which is a bonus for me because I despise car traffic.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:31 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxelized View Post

If you want modern suburban living, I think it's a great area if you don't mind using the I4. Other parts of Orlando are older and more congested. It took me 15 minutes to work from Lake Mary (12 miles). Now I live 6 miles away but it takes me 15+ minutes because the local traffic. I4 isn't bad until past Maitland.

The con is that it is the opposite side of the city from Disney, Universal and giant outlet malls - which is a bonus for me because I despise car traffic.
Another perk is that the 417 (a much less-traveled highway because it's a toll road) that intersects with I-4here in the Lake Mary/Sanford area. If driving to the Disney area or further west to the Tampa Bay area I completely bypass I-4 since it's nearly impossible to dictate what traffic will be like, especially the return trip eastbound which is always a mess around the Disney exits for some reason. The 417 exit eastbound is right at the point where traffic pretty much always seems to come to a stop. It's also great for going to/from Lake Nona or the airport, as well as the beach for that matter. Many locals go to New Smyrna Beach which takes around an hour or more in travel time, much of it sitting in local traffic in NSB. I take the 417 south to the 528 east and am on the beach on the north side of Cocoa Beach in the same amount of time, without all the stop/go traffic.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
I don't have pics of the neighborhoods you are interested but here are some videos:

Timacuan - Lake Mary, Florida - YouTube

Neighborhood Showcase - Lake Mary - Heathrow, Florida - YouTube

Alaqua Lakes Luxury Homes Golf Community Tour - Longwood, FL - YouTube

Magnolia Plantation, Lake Mary - YouTube

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM

160 posts, read 451,628 times
Thanks everyone! I haven't really heard too many cons so far. It seems like a nice place to raise a family. We would have to adjust to the heat and I have a son with asthma so I worry about the humidity, but I imagine that the majority of the time is spent in air conditioning. Glad to hear about the variety of restaurants. Access to a variety of good food is something I know we take for granted here in NY. I hope they are not all chain restaurants but honestly, good restaurants is one of those sacrifices I am more than willing to make for a better overall lifestyle.

Does anyone living in the gated communities feel that the HOA's are particularly oppressive? I am very concerned about not being able to make an apartment for my mother in whatever home we buy. I know mother/daughter homes are very rare in the south, but it is something that is important to us.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,542 times
All of the neighborhoods in that area are very nice, but vary greatly in price range/amenities. I live in Alaqua Lakes, sell real estate in the area, and are very familiar with all of those neighborhoods. If you need more specific information, I am happy to give you some advice.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:27 PM

433 posts, read 1,228,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Thanks everyone! I haven't really heard too many cons so far. It seems like a nice place to raise a family. We would have to adjust to the heat and I have a son with asthma so I worry about the humidity, but I imagine that the majority of the time is spent in air conditioning. Glad to hear about the variety of restaurants. Access to a variety of good food is something I know we take for granted here in NY. I hope they are not all chain restaurants but honestly, good restaurants is one of those sacrifices I am more than willing to make for a better overall lifestyle.

Does anyone living in the gated communities feel that the HOA's are particularly oppressive? I am very concerned about not being able to make an apartment for my mother in whatever home we buy. I know mother/daughter homes are very rare in the south, but it is something that is important to us.
Hopefully your son does not have allergies, as the Orlando area is Horrible for people that are affected by it.
I have had some in other states, but Mid Florida is bad. I am a native Floridian from the coast, but had no problems there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando