Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM

9 posts, read 35,328 times

Advertisements

While I was browsing around in my attempt to learn more about Orlando I was struck by how everything seems to be so child oriented. I know Disney is a big part of Orlando but I assumed with a town so large and with so many tourists I thought there might be a better mix of things to do that not only include children but adults as well. All I seem to see are things related to Disney, or Universal or some sort of hotel. Maybe since those attractions are so popular it kind of drowns out other things to do. I know the shopping seems wonderful; they do have great shopping including designer boutiques (which I don’t have access to where I currently live). Outside of that I don’t see much else to do, with the exception of a water park or discovery cove. Are there many things for adults to do in Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Theres plenty to do just a matter of what your into. I rarely ever go to theme parks but have no problem staying busy. Beaches, boating, downtown, parks, festivals, springs, restaurants, bars, sports.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherBeAtTheBeach View Post
While I was browsing around in my attempt to learn more about Orlando I was struck by how everything seems to be so child oriented. I know Disney is a big part of Orlando but I assumed with a town so large and with so many tourists I thought there might be a better mix of things to do that not only include children but adults as well. All I seem to see are things related to Disney, or Universal or some sort of hotel. Maybe since those attractions are so popular it kind of drowns out other things to do. I know the shopping seems wonderful; they do have great shopping including designer boutiques (which I don’t have access to where I currently live). Outside of that I don’t see much else to do, with the exception of a water park or discovery cove. Are there many things for adults to do in Orlando?
Orlando is kind of misleading in that it seems like it gives off a big foot print but if you strip away the Disney/amusement park/suburban sprawl aspect it's really not that large (city population of 240,000) and most amenities are a result of the theme parks and geared that way as a result. In terms of culture and food scene for example the areas is lacking but when pressed you'll be able to find something to do, though don't expect to find much variety beyond what most random similar-sized suburban cities might have to offer. However it all is a matter of perspective. If you're coming from a small town with little to do it could seem like a lot to you.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
We don't tell the tourists about the best things to do in Orlando, because then they would just be another tourist spot.

We have museums, festivals, fabulous fundraising galas and lunches, great restaurants and cafes, a thriving independent music scene, and if you know where to look, at least a couple of times a week you'll see someone who is in a major label band but on a break from touring sitting in with a local band someplace in the area.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Quote:
It always helps when you let us know what interests you. I'm an empty nester and have a hard time choosing what I want to do.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Well I'm just looking for a lot of fun things to do water park, great shopping, lots of places to eat, tourist attractions that adults may enjoy, beautiful parks, and more! Really just anything fun. I'm coming from a very small town in WV, where there is NOTHING to do. Shopping sucks here, prices are high and in order to go to a outlet I have to drive 3 hours there and 3 hours back. I go to the same 3 restaurants when we go out to eat and none of them fancy. Fun? What is fun in WV....nothing. Orlando seems fun but when I goggled things to do in Orlando I came up with many children s activities, nothing to much geared towards adults. The only thing my husband and I are not interested in is arts, historic places, bars and clubs, or brewery's.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Quote:
Well I'm just looking for a lot of fun things to do water park, great shopping, lots of places to eat, tourist attractions that adults may enjoy, beautiful parks, and more! Really just anything fun. I'm coming from a very small town in WV, where there is NOTHING to do. Shopping sucks here, prices are high and in order to go to a outlet I have to drive 3 hours there and 3 hours back. I go to the same 3 restaurants when we go out to eat and none of them fancy. Fun? What is fun in WV....nothing. Orlando seems fun but when I goggled things to do in Orlando I came up with many children s activities, nothing to much geared towards adults. The only thing my husband and I are not interested in is arts, historic places, bars and clubs, or brewery's.
Go to Park Ave in Winter Park for boutique shopping and dining. It's a pretty big strip with lots of local shops. Prato and Luma on Park are two of the best restaurants in the Orlando area if you have some $ to drop. You might also like the Winter Park Scenic Boat tour if you like looking at beautiful homes on the chain of lakes.

For parks check out Lake Eola park downtown to walk around the lake and perhaps catch a festival, and walk around Thornton Park for a bite to eat and some boutique shops.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I agree, there is more than enough things for adults to do. Check out Kelly Springs in Apopka or Blue Springs in Orange City. Go to New Smyrna Beach off Flagler Ave. If you're into the flea market, go to Flea World in Sanford. There's a water park and the Ocean Walk with restaurants and shopping in Daytona away from the attractions. There are plenty of outlet stores around. Tons of places to eat but I don't suggest eating around the attractions like Kissimmee, the food isn't that good. Depending on when you're visiting, there are various scheduled events going on. You won't be bored here

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM

257 posts, read 824,376 times
Are you looking for things that adults and kids can enjoy or just adults? look into the Winter Park boat tour or cirque du soleil. For theme parks Universal is a little more fun for adults.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delg23 View Post
Are you looking for things that adults and kids can enjoy or just adults? look into the Winter Park boat tour or cirque du soleil. For theme parks Universal is a little more fun for adults.
Just my husband and I no kids. Cirque does sound interesting, I've watched some shows on TV before a few years back. A boat tour also sounds fun, my husband and I love boats...more so sailboats but boats none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando