Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oresident View Post
I think he's over the top with negativity but he does have a point. Just ONE used book store has been mentioned in the entire city proper, and it is part of the public library! Whatever the reasons for that fact, it is absolutely pitiful. My interpretation is that it's time for someone to build a used bookstore, but his interpretation is that Orlando lacks enough people who have any culture at all. Whoever is right, there is definitely something wrong here. I just hope it's not what he's saying, because that would be depressing.

ores
Actually I myself listed two...with the suggestion of what to put in the search field to find more......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oresident View Post
I think he's over the top with negativity but he does have a point. Just ONE used book store has been mentioned in the entire city proper, and it is part of the public library! Whatever the reasons for that fact, it is absolutely pitiful. My interpretation is that it's time for someone to build a used bookstore, but his interpretation is that Orlando lacks enough people who have any culture at all. Whoever is right, there is definitely something wrong here. I just hope it's not what he's saying, because that would be depressing.

ores
There are certainly many new book stores that seem to have many customers ; plus the public library seems to always be busy. Just because there aren't many used book stores doesn't mean people are lacking in any way. Used book stores are hard to find in general in many areas so don't get depressed, people still do read. The OP can also join a library, a reading club (where they exchange books) etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM

61 posts, read 263,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
Actually I myself listed two...with the suggestion of what to put in the search field to find more......
Ah yeah, the way you wrote it I thought it was just one bookstore, sorry about that! Now I see you squeezed another one in there.

In any case, for me the real issue isn't so much used bookstores but non-chain bookstores. Barnes and Nobles and Borders are so generic it's sad they seem to be all we have everywhere. When I went to Barnes and Nobles last year, Christmas music was blasting while people wandered around looking for Christmas presents. I wished I could find something less commercial that was focused on the books more than commercialization and growth.

Do you know any good non-chain bookstores around here?

ores

Old 06-24-2008, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,143 times
Default Used Book Store

To all book lovers, I have a wonderful book store in downtown Lake Mary, FL called Vintage Book Store.

We are have about 15,000 books from the 1850s - 1990s and what an incredible collection. Come visit us and find the book from the past.
Vintage Books 169 Country Club Blvd. Lake Mary, FL 32746

Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
Used book store in Orlando!!! Generally areas with used book stores have populations that read. Orlando has NO NO NO used bookstores because used bookstores are generally not chains and orlando only has people who you can categorize as "THE MASSES" and the masses don't go to used bookstores. Look around the theme parks next time you go, look to your left look to your right and try picturing those people with a book in their hands. If you are looking for any culture in Orlando you are wasting your time.
Did you read the previous posts where people actually POSTED names of used bookstores before you posted something with your usual sweeping generalizations?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 15,277 times
Default Central Florida Used Books

If you are judging Orlando only by the Theme park areas, it is very lacking in true culture, but also very narrow-minded. It has improved over the years, but that's the same for any smaller city. Orlando is a vacation destination, but still a smaller city in all other respects. Don't even try to compare it to Chicago or even historic cities like Charleston. That doesn't mean there are no readers. The city is just still evolving from a history of agriculture, farming, cattle ranching, etc... I read several books a week and participate in 2 book clubs, but we buy them online or by them new. That tells me that there are plenty of readers, we just must have more money to spend on books.

But you should visit other areas in Central Florida for some great non-chain niche used bookstores. (even though I'd rather have my own new copies!)

Just a few...

Legible Leftovers - Longwood, FL - 407-339-4043
Yesteryears Book & Magazines - Altamonte Spgs, FL - 407-786-7434
Veda's Books & More - Orlando, FL - 407-380-5400
Best Used Books - I Drive, Orlando, FL - 407-370-2750
Harbar Book Exchange - Casselberry, FL - 407-834-0153
A Novel Idea Bookshop - Casselbery, FL - 407-672-0095
Book Treasure - University Blvd, Winter Park, FL

Good luck in your book hunting!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,591 times
[URL="http://www.headstartbooks.com"]www.headstartbooks.com[/URL]

[EMAIL="info@headstartbooks.com"]info@headstartbooks.com[/EMAIL]
321-276-4557
Fritz Lewis
409 W. Church Street
ORlando FL

New books - specializing in African , African -American, Caribbean, Children's books, History, Politics Masonic and Novels

"seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave "

Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM

9 posts, read 60,641 times
I haven't been there yet, but I noticed a new used book store on Bumby, and there used to be one on Orange Avenue near the Pine Castle area. They're generally not in mall areas, you have to keep your eyes open or you'll miss them. Chapters used to have some when they were in downtown, no idea if that's changed since they moved to College Park, try giving them a call.

Last edited by floridian328; 05-17-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: duplicate info

Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,300 times
Default used book stores do exist

Maya Books and Music in downtown Sanford is very good. There is also an excellent used book store in DeLand. Other used book stores do exist in the Longwood/Casselberry area. Check your phone book or search online.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
amazon.com is great for buying new and used books so is Ebay. I found one of my daughters favorite childhood books from the 80's on Ebay for $5.00. I looked on Amazon first, it was out of print. I couldn't believe I found it on Ebay. I gave it to her for her 26th birthday and she was overjoyed!
Don't expect to get too much for used books on eBay -- there are usually multiples of each title, and by the time you get through paying the eBay and PayPal fees, you often lose money.

eBay isn't what it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando