Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,424 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In January, I moved to Leesburg FL from Hollywood FL for a job offer. While I love my job, Lake County is far too rural and I miss the city life and diversity of South Florida. My lease will be up soon and I am considering moving. I am willing to commute about an hour (35 miles or so) to and from work as long as I can get a bigger city (downtown) feel with a younger population. A community or city where I can walk to nearby shops/restaurants/entertainment is ideal. Diversity is a must! I recently discovered Uptown Altamonte (The Lofts @ Uptown Altamonte) and that is very close to the type of apartment living I am looking for. I have also heard of Pure Living Heathrow but since I havent visited I am not quite sure if it is similar to Uptown in terms of the live/work/play urban living concept.

Any suggestions for live/work/play urban communites and cities that is an hour away from Leesburg, FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM

148 posts, read 341,944 times
Check into Avalon Park. We used to live there and their slogan was " live, work, play". It's very similar to Uptown Altamonte. I've also heard a lot of Hispanics describe Avalon Park as " The Puerto Rican Windermere".
Good luck with your search!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,541,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodurante View Post
Check into Avalon Park. We used to live there and their slogan was " live, work, play". It's very similar to Uptown Altamonte. I've also heard a lot of Hispanics describe Avalon Park as " The Puerto Rican Windermere".
Good luck with your search!
Avalon Park is about 60 miles from Leesburg, OP said she'd only be willing to commute 35.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,250,654 times
The Lake Eola/Thornton Park area to Leesburg is probably within your commute time via 408/TPK, and it doesn't get more urban than that around here. Keep in mind you'll be paying a good chunk in tolls.

Have you considered Mount Dora?

Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,435,348 times
The Colonial Towne Park complex in Heathrow is one of just a few live/work/play communities in the area and I would definitely recommend it. There is more than just the one apt community to choose from with Colonial Grand at Town Park Reserve across the street from the complex on International Parkway north of SR46-A. Just a half mile further north from there is also Ballantrae which I highly recommend. Back down to the south on International Parkway just past SR 46-A are three other communities. There's Colonial Grand Heathrow, Colonial Grand Lake Mary (brand new) and Pure Living Heathrow. All of the communities are walking distance to Towne Park which has an upscale Publix, a 12 screen stadium seating theater, a nice selection of restaurants and bars plus a few random shops. A newer Walgreens sits catty-corner of the SR46-A and International Pkwy intersection. Across 46-A on the south side is an upscale strip center with yet more restaurants and a few shops. If you like bike-riding the area is well known for it's bike paths and you'll see a lot of people out and about after work and on weekends.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,927,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Colonial Towne Park complex in Heathrow is one of just a few live/work/play communities in the area and I would definitely recommend it. There is more than just the one apt community to choose from with Colonial Grand at Town Park Reserve across the street from the complex on International Parkway north of SR46-A. Just a half mile further north from there is also Ballantrae which I highly recommend. Back down to the south on International Parkway just past SR 46-A are three other communities. There's Colonial Grand Heathrow, Colonial Grand Lake Mary (brand new) and Pure Living Heathrow. All of the communities are walking distance to Towne Park which has an upscale Publix, a 12 screen stadium seating theater, a nice selection of restaurants and bars plus a few random shops. A newer Walgreens sits catty-corner of the SR46-A and International Pkwy intersection. Across 46-A on the south side is an upscale strip center with yet more restaurants and a few shops. If you like bike-riding the area is well known for it's bike paths and you'll see a lot of people out and about after work and on weekends.
I would second these choices, and I would also throw in Grand Oaks at Heathrow. I just realized just how many grands are in the area. Keep in mind that this area is very Upscale, and I am pretty sure it can rival mellinia in upscaleness, as it is pretty much all upscale.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,435,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I would second these choices, and I would also throw in Grand Oaks at Heathrow. I just realized just how many grands are in the area. Keep in mind that this area is very Upscale, and I am pretty sure it can rival mellinia in upscaleness, as it is pretty much all upscale.
It is a nice upscale area and unlike the Milennia area, not crime ridden.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,233,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,424 times
thanks to everyone for these suggestions I will definitely check out these neighborhoods...

Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM

249 posts, read 475,320 times
Thornton park, downtown winterpark, Baldwin park, and Lake eola downtown orlando area all have everything in walking distance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando