Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that FLVS (HQed in Orlando but serves the state) laid off over 800 employees this month and OCPS continues to hire at a stagnant pace after losing many teachers during the financial crisis 6 years back.

Our are kids just being taught in larger classes now?
I'm not sure what is prompting all these cuts- but it seems like ed. funding is a real low point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I've noticed that FLVS (HQed in Orlando but serves the state) laid off over 800 employees this month and OCPS continues to hire at a stagnant pace after losing many teachers during the financial crisis 6 years back.

Our are kids just being taught in larger classes now?
I'm not sure what is prompting all these cuts- but it seems like ed. funding is a real low point.
No they are not, as Florida has enacted class size legislation years back that cap core classes at 25 in the high school level. Speaking as someone who's partner is a Seminole County teacher, there are a handful of jobs available in her department each year and not always enough qualified candidates (topic for another thread).

As for Florida Virtual School, it is a new concept and I guess they are still trying to figure it out. Personally I'm not a fan and can see why many students may be going back to traditional enrollment in order to gain the benefits of human interaction. However, I can see how it could benefit a small number of students and I hope it continues as an option for those who need/prefer it.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:02 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Here are the class size requirements:

K-3: 18
4-8: 22
9-12: 25

However, on the high school level, some (or maybe all?) AP classes are not considered "core," so they are exempt. They may have larger class sizes.

The Florida Virtual School issue may be the result of a rejection of online education in general or may be just a shift away from that company to another. High school students must take one online course to graduate, so it's not going anyone. If you look up employee reviews of FLVS, you'll see that many employees hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: