Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:16 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times

Advertisements

Are the doctors caring, well-educated?

Do the doctors spend time with their patients answering questions?

Do the doctors keep up with medical advancements and keep current on professional education?

Are there good doctors in Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Like any decent sized city, you'll find all kinds

Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 AM

20 posts, read 35,391 times
LOL.. Don't get sick is the best advice I can give you. Florida is known for having the poorest healthcare from malpractice. There were plenty of my friends who refused to transfer to Florida because of it's reputation. I would say there is a high level of incompetence in healthcare in Florida.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusGT77 View Post
LOL.. Don't get sick is the best advice I can give you. Florida is known for having the poorest healthcare from malpractice. There were plenty of my friends who refused to transfer to Florida because of it's reputation. I would say there is a high level of incompetence in healthcare in Florida.
This is based completely on facts I'm sure. Thanks for the unbiased info.

In fact, Florida is very average on healthcare quality. NHQR State Snapshots

"The State rate on an NHQR measure is not statistically different from the all-State/regional average".

Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Facts? Who needs facts when your entire purpose is to slam a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
This is based completely on facts I'm sure. Thanks for the unbiased info.

In fact, Florida is very average on healthcare quality. NHQR State Snapshots

"The State rate on an NHQR measure is not statistically different from the all-State/regional average".

Old 11-18-2013, 10:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I have been very happy with my providers. They are all American born and educated at top ranked medical schools. I have never had a problem getting an appointment in a timely manner. The exception was a bad experience with an eyeglass place, but I ended up walking out, complaining to my insurance, and having them approve a visit to another place. Problem solved.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They are all American born .
why does that matter? I'd rather just have a competent, good doc, rather than look at where they were born. I've seen dumb american ones, smart indian ones, smart german ones, dumb spanish ones etc.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
why does that matter? I'd rather just have a competent, good doc, rather than look at where they were born. I've seen dumb american ones, smart indian ones, smart german ones, dumb spanish ones etc.
I tend to avoid foreign doctors as I often can't clearly understand what they are saying due to their accents. When I am discussing my health, I want to be able to fully communicate, not guess at what they are saying. It has nothing to due with their level of competency and everything to do with the ability to communicate.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I tend to avoid foreign doctors as I often can't clearly understand what they are saying due to their accents. When I am discussing my health, I want to be able to fully communicate, not guess at what they are saying. It has nothing to due with their level of competency and everything to do with the ability to communicate.
And that has absolutely nothing to do with where they are born Sure, if they came over yesterday, then yes there may be a language barrier, but the ones that came over 20, 30 etc years ago are fine. Just seems short-sighted and racist to rule out foreigners, especially considering that many "foreign" docs were probably born here, as FL and the US, in general, is becoming a minority-majority place in many of the urban areas.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
And that has absolutely nothing to do with where they are born Sure, if they came over yesterday, then yes there may be a language barrier, but the ones that came over 20, 30 etc years ago are fine. Just seems short-sighted and racist to rule out foreigners, especially considering that many "foreign" docs were probably born here, as FL and the US, in general, is becoming a minority-majority place in many of the urban areas.
Even many who have been here for decades still have a heavy accent in most cases. My neighbor is a surgeon, he has been practicing medicine in this country for 20 years. He's a great guy, but has a very heavy accent and not the best grasp of English at times, and I wouldn't want to try to communicate with him when my health was in jeopardy.

It is not at all difficult to find a highly recommended doctor, without an accent who was educated in a top ranked US medical school. Why would I settle for a foreign educated doctor or one who I can't communicate with? It has nothing to do with racism but rather choosing the best possible providers available.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando