Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM

275 posts, read 793,415 times

Advertisements

I had been using a rather pricey kennel to board my dog for vacations. Up to the last time, we had no issues. The last time, the dog came back sick and wouldn't eat for a week. Ended up going to a vet for meds. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with the website "dogvacay.com. It seems that it's a network of locals who will board your dog in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
hahaha

I was just going to come here and recommend DogVacay!

It is an amazing company that will change the entire industry. I used to take my dog to an expensive "dog hotel" that charged $45 per night (starting price). I always felt so bad whenever I went on vacation because I know she always had an awful time.

I love DogVacay! You search their website for available hosts. You can read their profile and read past customer reviews. You can organize a meet and greet, so you can bring your dog to their home to see if your dog likes the home, host and their dogs.

If everything sounds good, you request the dates you want through the host's profile page and the host will either accept or reject. It's very easy! Hosts are required to send you at least one picture every day of your dog. You will have their phone number, address, e-mail. DogVacay offers every host free comprehensive insurance for your dog(s). The host will have all your emergency contacts, vet information etc.

I cannot say enough good things about them. I would look up hosts that have at least 3 reviews with 5 stars. Setup some meet and greets and choose the best one. My dog comes home smelling the same way as I left her and most importantly, VERY HAPPY! I will never take my dog to a boarding kennel ever again. It's like having your neighbor who loves dogs watch them for you. You can't ask for anything better.

I'm the kind of dog owner where I would do anything to protect them. When I moved to Australia, I even brought all three of my dogs with me, which cost around $15,000 and tons of paperwork and quarantine etc. I trust DogVacay much more than a boarding kennel because most of the hosts (make sure they have reviews) are doing it because they are dog lovers. Many of them have their own dogs and just want them to socialize more. They won't be subjected to a bunch of college kids who could care less about your dog's happiness. You can write an instruction list, so the host knows exactly how your dog usually lives, sleeps, eats etc. You can contact them whenever you want. It's wonderful lol.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 PM

698 posts, read 960,427 times
I've had great experiences on dogvacay.com. I did interview many people before deciding on one gal and I have a second gal as a backup. My dog loves going to his dogvacay sitter! and I feel comfortable that he's safe and happy while I'm away.

As with any sitter situation, do you homework, interview folks, be sure to meet them at their home so you can see what's going on and always ask the maximum number of dogs they take. I've met a few people who are taking in way too many dogs and I'm just not comfortable with that.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:08 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Another good question to ask is... What are your work hours? What is the longest time my dog will be home by himself/herself? Some people work from home or will always have someone home too.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 AM

275 posts, read 793,415 times
Thanks all for the advice. I feel better about going down this route.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
For less money than it would cost to board my three dogs, I hire a pet sitter who stays at my house. $50 per day. My dogs are in their home with their stuff and not exposed to other animals (ie no chance of fights or disease!).

The pet sitter comes and goes all day but is there overnight. I know that not only are my dogs being well cared for, but my home is occupied as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando